'70 Wagon Build Thread* - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 104 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 1:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Re: '70 Wagon Build Thread*

Got the frame back from the powder coater and got the front control arms back from Dan's Driveline. As a result of my pending relocation to Chicago, time is of the essence. I made a mistake when trying to epoxy paint the frame and just didn't have the time to prep it all over again.

I also finally picked up the hood and the wheels. This is what they'd look like on the car even though in these pics, the frame and suspension are not there.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Garage

If those are 8" wide wheels they will sit another couple of inches inboard. Mine have 2" to the outer wheel lip front and rear. What size tire did you go with?

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #63 of 104 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 5:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

They are 8's. 255/50/17. I have not point of reference underneath, but wanted to get a feel for what they would look like. Now, i just need to find two more Boyd JYDs for the other side.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #64 of 104 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 15, 7:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Dateline 1966: I just wrecked my 66 SS 396 -4 speed. Now insurance issues. ( I had to buy a full size 2 Dr. or 4 Dr.) So I buy Mace Bakers ( DEMO ) loaded " 396 "- 66 Caprice. It eats a set of front tires, Take it back to Baker Chevrolet, To my suprise, The wrench drives it onto the old style frame rack. NEXT: He ties down the two front horns and puts a bottle jack under the front crossmember, & Jacks it back into place or the correct spec. Re/sets the front end no more tire issues.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #65 of 104 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 15, 7:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Measure the distance between the upper control arm mounts. 32" is ideal, 31.75" is workable, anything less and the frame should be brought back to spec. Mine was 31.75".
I measured it once I got it back and it measured 31.875".

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #66 of 104 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 15, 7:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I have the front upper and lower control arms in and will make some more progress on the fronts tomorrow which will include putting on the steering box as well as the QA1 coil overs and the steering linkage. I pulled the axles out of the rear and got the F-body disc backing plates on the rear. I'm going to reinstall the stock axle so I can get the driveshaft measurements and then see if I want to stay with 3.08's or go for more gear. I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with the work done on the gas tank, but it does have the tanks in push through gas cap on it and it looks like it will work. I need to clean up the exterior of the tank and get it painted. I also need to work on my fuel pump and fuel lines. I'll post some pictures of the tank tomorrow along with the frame and chassis.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #67 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 15, 1:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

It's been a while since I have posted, and I don't have any pics at the moment, but the chassis is basically back together. All of the UMI and PST stuff is in with the exception of the sway bars, which will go in last minute. I've got a couple of things I want to do to the motor before I drop it in and I need to finish cleaning the underbody of the car before I can modify the trans tunnel. The front wheels should arrive tomorrow which will make it a roller since I sold the old steel wheels a month or so ago. With any luck I'll be able to get the body back on for the final time the following weekend, though I still haven't decided what I'm going to apply to the undercarriage. At this point I'm leaning towards Lizard Skin sound deadener.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #68 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 15, 9:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I have ordered a few exhaust parts and should have those in the next few days. I'm going to get the engine back in the frame, hopefully for the last time on Friday and get the tunnel cut and welded, get the body back off to seam seal and Lizard Skin and the hopefully put the body back on for the final time as well.

I sourced and aluminum driveshaft with 6l90 slip yoke, out of an express van with the 6l90, I hope to drop it off on Tuesday to have it shortened, balanced, and new u-joints. They are going to put "conversion" u-joint in the rear, which I did not know existed. Has anyone used these and is there feedback on them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #69 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 15, 9:42 PM
Administrator

Garage

The conversion joint will work fine, they have been around forever.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #70 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 15, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Been a little while since I've updated, but I have been working diligently on the project amongst other things.

Today, I got the engine back in the frame, hopefully for the last time.

I put the body back on temporarily after cutting a big "I" in the tunnel. I didn't go as far as the BRP guid says to go, but it's still a little bit bigger than I probably needed. Prior to cutting it, the tail of the 6L90 was hitting the tunnel, but it looks like it was just barely. I'm going to weld in a 3/4" piece of flat stock and there should be more than enough room. I can get my fingers between the body and the bell housing with no issue.

This is with the motor in and the body sitting back on the frame.

Not a great picture of it back on frame, a little dark. The front coil overs still need to be adjusted and the rear upper control arms need to be adjusted a bit.

Another shot

I also got a good deal on a non-operable cow hood
I also cleared off the firewall so I can paint it with POR15. The undercarriage has been cleaned up and the Lizard Skin is waiting to go on. A Vintage Air a/c setup will be going in place of the heater box. Looks like at one point someone made it a room without a view.

What is this? ^

I also ordered a bunch of parts including the exhaust, well part of it.

Hooker 42114 G-body swap downpipes. Not sure if these will work and I'm not sure about the quality, plus they showed today, two weeks before Jegs said they would. Not that it's a bad thing, just frustrating. As far as the quality, and I'm not sure if it is an issue or not, but the bung on one of the pips was not aligned with the hole drilled into the pipe itself. I'll have to see if it's going to cause an issue with the instal of the O2 sensor.

Pypes XVA10: I think That I probably should have ordered the XVF10 as those run down the tunnel.

Driveshaft: 2010 Chevy Express van aluminum shaft with 6L90 yoke. I'm going to have it shortened and a conversion joint put in so it will bolt up to the 10 bolt.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #71 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 15, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Your "what is it" part is the accessories power circuit breaker. Your wagon has a power back window, correct? This is for that. Inside should be a plug that the window harness, and other accessories (windows, locks, seats), plugs into.

Project looks nice.
Tom
post #72 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 15, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

It does have the power rear window, yes. Thanks for the compliment.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #73 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 5:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I received my G-body downpipes and they look like they are going to clear just fine. I need to run apex a 9" extension off them to get the X pipe to cross in the right spot, but I may abandon the X pipe as a whole and do individual dual exhaust out the rear if I can't make this work the way I want it to.

On one of the downpipes the bung seems to be offset a little from the pipe material, and I haven't checked it yet, but I'm worried it's going to interfere with the O2 sensor.

Offset a little more to the 11 o'clock position.

The other downpipe which appears to have the bung properly centered.

Installed based on recommendation, with the bungs facing out.

Installed the opposite way, just to see how it fit.

top view

With Pypes X-pipe. Needs about a 9" extension off of the Hooker downpipes to clear everything.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #74 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 15, 1:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Man, I'm not sure how I was that far off on my driveshaft measurements.

j/k. This driveshaft is out of a 2010 Express Van, thanks to Stu and the folks over at JustChevyTrucks.com. Once the body is back down, I'll get it measured. I adjusted up the pinion angle, but need to get a finder on there to dial it in.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #75 of 104 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I got a bunch of work done this weekend including measuring for the driveshaft and modifying the fuel tank for the Tanks Inc. pickup. I used 2 -6 90* bulkead connectors and threaded in a -6 to NPT to the main pickup tube. The plan is to run 3/8" fuel line to both bulkhead fittings as they will be used to secure the EP381. The one with the inlet facing the same way as the black fitting will be the return which will dump right next to the pickup in the pump, the other, facing backwards will be used to rout the witlring to the pump. It'll be filled with a fuel resistant exact in all likelihood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in