'70 Wagon Build Thread* - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 8:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Re: '70 Wagon Build Thread*

Here are some pics of the clearance between the steering gear and the pump.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 2:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I ordered a few things from tanks inc this morning, but I think I'm most excited about this piece, and I hope it works.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd107.htm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Fuel Related
AC Delco EP 381electric fuel pump
AC Delco FP51 electric fuel pump harness
AC Delco TS7 strainer
Push Through Fuel Cap - Tanks Inc: p/n PTCK
6 Hole Bolt-in Pickup Kit - Tanks Inc: p/n 3tr, 3g-n, nbo, 6HPT
PA Series Pump Weld In Recess - Tanks Inc.: p/n PA-REC; If my tank guy can put this in and make it feasible to use, then I will likely go this route. You can extend the PA Series Pump assembly to the needed height, which in this case, I'm going to need about 22" of depth. If it's too cost prohibitive or cannot otherwise be done, I'll do with the aforementioned 6 hole bolt-in pickup. Was hoping to have the Tanks Inc. stuff for the weekend and when I asked yesterday if it would be shipped yesterday, I was told that it would, but apparently there was some miscommunication on their part and I likely won't be getting it until next week some time.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Here are some pics of the radiator with the fans on. The mechanical fan is still on the L96 which will be coming off in the next couple of days. The factory upper rad support fits fine. I will probably get some foam or rubber to set in the top of the support. I either need to drill a hole in the bottom of the support or cut off a the mounting piece in the lower right corner of this stock photo as the fill is right on the hood with no room for the rad cap.

Spectra Premium CU1486 98-02 F-body radiator

You can see that the radiator fill is right on the hood. With the removal of that tab or the modification of the lower core support, this will drop about an inch.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Here are some additional pics of the Hooker 8501-HKRs installed. I was hoping to use the van manifolds for the economic aspect, but no dice.

Lots of clearance for the brake distribution and lines.

You can see how it's hitting the heat shield for the starter. I think the factory van manifold would work fine here.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 15, 9:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Made some progress today. Completely stripped the frame of everything, getting it ready to media blast it and then paint it with Summit chassis epoxy paint.

See something wrong here?

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 15, 9:36 PM
Administrator

Garage

I have a pair of control arms that look just like those. Must be a wagon only thing

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 15, 9:37 PM
Administrator

Garage

Do yourself a favor and weld nuts on the frame for the rear upper shock mounts.

63 Nova wagon

post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 15, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Do yourself a favor and weld nuts on the frame for the rear upper shock mounts.
Not a bad idea, I had to wait until the body was separated to get them off. I suppose I could have messed with it, but I knew the body was coming off.

Any suggestions on blast media?

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 15, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Garage

I used Black Beauty, it is ground coal slag. Tractor Supply sells it as Black Diamond. I use the fine grit. Worked good on the frame.

63 Nova wagon

post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 15, 2:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

The bags of coal slag at HF were busted and leaking. I picked up medium and fine walnut shell as well as medium glass. I'm going to do the frame and the undercarriage of the body. Not sure what I'm going to do, but leaning towards Raptorliner for the undercarriage and lizard skin sound and solar for the inside.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 15, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

A small update. I bought a Harbor Freight media blaster, the 100b model. Took me an hour to almost strip one of the rear upper a arms. The line kept plugging. After watching a few videos, I saw a guy that had one and he had to keep shaking it. I figured what was happening was that the media was feeding good for about 10 seconds and then if I opened the valve up, it would avalanche in and then plug the hose, so the video kind of confirmed that for me.

I got a good deal on 2 Boyd JYD's with tires; 17x8 with 4.5" BS and tires as well as a non-op SS hood. They are actually coming from the prison that is doing the Firebird, so they stuck them on and took pics for me.

17x8 w/4.5 BS Boyd JYDs.

I also picked up the lower 98-02 F-body radiator insulators. p/n's 1027-8679 and 10188023.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 15, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Got suspension and steering stuff ordered today. To go with the Jeep Grand Cherokee box.

Centerlink - Moog DS749
P-S-T Polygraphite Super Front End Kit: p/n FEKSPBUI664
Bilstein Rear Shocks: p/n F4BE5E250M0 (f.k.a. AK1044)
UMI rear control arm kit: p/n ABR813 (added adjustable upper control arms)
UMI 1.25" front sway bar: p/n 4035
QA1 GE401-450B front coil overs as well as thrust bearings and wrench
UMI rear springs at factory ride height: p/n 4049R

Up next is to have the rearend rebuilt and should have a roller by the end of next weekend.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 15, 11:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Your local prison has a body shop?

Thanks for detailing the parts selection. Could come in handy for some of us down the road, especially if you get a chance to let us know how the parts work out.
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 15, 2:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmchevelle View Post
Your local prison has a body shop?

Thanks for detailing the parts selection. Could come in handy for some of us down the road, especially if you get a chance to let us know how the parts work out.
They do indeed. It's the minimum security portion of the prison out at Indian Springs. They do pretty good work and they have a pretty good labor rate. They aren't that great at taking pictures or even getting them to you, but it's a small price to pay.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in