'70 Wagon Build Thread* - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old May 10th, 15, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: '70 Wagon Build Thread*

The kit I have has a pair of extra mounts with a 1" hole.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Motor is in. BRP kit worked pretty good, but it went much easier when I pulled the exhaust manifolds. The truck manifold on the drivers side will be close to the distribution block, but I think that is known.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Garage

Looks really good. Now the real work begins How much body lift to get the trans to fit under the floor?

63 Nova wagon

post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 1:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

I think about 1" would do it. I don't have the trans crossmember in just yet. It's just sort of sitting there. It's hitting more in the back than in the front, but I'm going to split it like the instructions say here on page 3.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old May 13th, 15, 1:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

BRP 6L90 Trans crossmember: overall it's not bad, but apparently for the wagon they know the holes won't line up yet that's a secret they keep until you call them and ask about the fitment. The holes had to be reamed out to 1/2" on the drivers side and an elongated 1/2" by apex 3/4" on the passengers side.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old May 13th, 15, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Step 4:
Once the engine and transmission is lowered into the chassis lift the rear of the transmission
using a floor jack. Install the polyurethane transmission mount on the transmission, making sure
that you install the provided plate between the mount and the transmission (this preloads the
polyurethane mount). Slide the transmission crossmember into the chassis and bolt the mount
loosely to the crossmember using the 7/16”-13 x 1” bolt and the 7/16” flat washer. Mark the
crossmember mounting holes on the frame and drill them out with a 25/64” drill bit.
Install the
3/8”-16 x 1” bolts, flat washers and the 3/8”-16 nylon lock nuts.
It is stated in their instructions that the frame needs to be drilled. Still that is a poor way to build a direct fit part. Spacing on the wagon is no different than a 2 or 4 door car. The cross member should have had slotted holes, at least on one side like the factory did. They claim it is laser cut if so a slotted hole would be easy to do, just a slight programming change.
If it were me I would have slotted the cross member not the frame, actually I wouldn't. It would have been sent back with a clear reason why i chose not to use it.

I modified the stock crossmember to work with the 4L80E to avoid dealing with after market companies. Saved $400, it is at the correct angle and didn't have to cut the floor either.

63 Nova wagon

post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old May 13th, 15, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

It could be that I didn't use a 25/64 bit <sarcasm>. I couldn't find a 25/64 bit, so I went 7/16. I didn't buy the whole "our (secret) notes say it won't work on a wagon" thing. Like I said, I ended up having to elongate it, but it ended up working as you can see. Realistically, they probably didn't actually fit a 6L90 into a vehicle with their kit. Actually, I'm almost positive they didn't. I guess fab is to be expected, but the kit was a few bucks and one might expect a better fitment.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old May 13th, 15, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb

Nice build,, really nice wagon. Thanks for taking us along for the journey.

My "Time Machine", sold and gone. Looking for another.

post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old May 13th, 15, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Installed the F-body drivers manifold, which is the side I was having clearance issues with. It doesn't really fit that much better than the truck manifold did, so definitely not worth the money. At this point I'm thinking about using the Hooker manifolds as they look to have better clearance than this one did.

GM F-body p/n's: 12611638 and 12611639.

From below

From above, you can see how it barely clears the distribution block.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old May 13th, 15, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeRodder View Post
Nice build,, really nice wagon. Thanks for taking us along for the journey.
Indeed. There's a wealth of knowledge out there that has helped me in my builds, so if I do can help someone else, then all the better.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 11:49 PM
Tech Team
Mike

WOW...by the looks of this picture...(the tie rod/oil pan crossmember clearance) with the BRP mounts looks like it must move the engine up by 2 or 3 inches as opposed to using factory style mounts...

Sprech...do you have any pictures of steering box to pump pulley clearance...???

"LS swap without breaking the bank"

"Project Greenbrier" build thread...
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 5:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Check out the photobucket library, there might be one on there. If there isn't anything good enough, I'll take some when I get back from Chicago. It is close, but it does clear the factory box, but I don't have the ps lines hooked up yet. I'm probably going to order my new box this week. Either the Jeep or Monte Carlo SS box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Looking at it, the photos in the thread thus far are all that I have as far as pics of the PS pump and box.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 8:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Here are some pics of the Hooker 8501 HKR's. Overall they fit much better. The passengers side hits the heat shield on the starter and it looks like there is a tab on the 6L90 that might interfere on the drivers side. The plus on the driver's side is that it has plenty of room between the edge of the manifold and the brake distribution block.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in