New seat covers for back seats in wagon - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gossamer (Mike)

New seat covers for back seats in wagon

Ok to specify...not the third row seat in some of our wagons (not mine) but the middle seat that folds down to extend the cargo area.
Anybody have tips on this?
Since it's not a typical rear seat what issues is there with the upper part that fold down?

My version of the never made '72 SS454 Chevelle Wagon.
454 ATK Engine/550 HP/575 TQ/4.10
gear/T-350 trans./3400 ATI conv/B&M Comp. Shifter/ 1/4 ET-12.39 @108mph - 1.69 60ft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bet I can get to the Grocery Store and back Home first!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 3:08 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: New seat covers for back seats in wagon

Mike,
I just ordered new rear seat covers and cargo panel covers for my '72 yesterday in fact from James Hinshaw. Custom mfg'd in '70 Pearl color.

I haven't removed the seat yet but if it's like the '66 wagon frame off I did a few years ago...the upper portion just hangs on the metal folding panel and attaches across the bottom. With the seat upright, just remove the lower fasteners and lift straight up. May have to unbolt the seat hinges too...mine were already out and at the paint shop at that time so I don't recall the exact sequence.
Easy to attach new covers because the backside is hidden. Typical hog ring install...same as the seat bottoms.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 3:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gossamer (Mike)

Ok thanks, I'm gonna mess with the seat soon and just wondered about it.
Hope you are doing great!
Did I miss something? Did you always have the '72 Wagon?

gear/T-350 trans./3400 ATI conv/B&M Comp. Shifter/ 1/4 ET-12.39 @108mph - 1.69 60ft.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 4:01 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Wagon View Post
Hope you are doing great!
Did I miss something? Did you always have the '72 Wagon?
Bought it 3-4 weeks ago.
Originally a rust free CA car, the guy in IL that I bought it from purchased it in '06. He drove it on the HR Power Tour long haul TWICE. Still got the Long Haul stickers on the windshield.
I flew up just north of Rockford, IL and drove it home the 2nd Saturday in Dec...850 miles. Got just under 19 mpg.
The pic in my signature is what it looked like at time of purchase.
Made a few changes since...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 4:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gossamer (Mike)

Now you know we need some more pics.
What do you have planned for it?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Got my " 70 SS Style with the stainless emblem in the center " Rear Wagon seat covers from James H. A neet little detail. Remove the 1/4X20 Galv. Phillips heads on the rear seat leavers and replace them with S.S. Button head Allens, Polish them in the drill press then install.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 13, 8:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Mike et el'........please keep the thread going. I just received my rear covers and cargo panels covers for my 71 Wagon and I want to see how everyone makes out with their installations. Figured you guys could make it easier for me to do as you will find the issues and shortcuts . For 2013, I am doing a bunch of detail work and other things to my wagon....here is a current shot of the work in progress.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-14-13_1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	60090  

Steve

Team Chevelle #3209
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 13, 5:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ralph

I did my 68 wagon rear seat some time ago. Have 2 people to handle the upper part of the rear seat when you remove it because it weighs quite a bit...at least the 68 does!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 13, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Ok guys, I am ready to recover the back seat on my wagon...got the covers along with new cargo panels and headliner. So, who has the tutorial on how to recover the back seat BTW, the headliner and cargo panels are being "sub'd out".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-03-05_20-44-10_448.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	65810  

Steve

Team Chevelle #3209

Last edited by thechevellekid; Mar 6th, 13 at 10:38 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 13, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gossamer (Mike)

Ok...I'm kickin this back up to the top.
I'm ready to recover my back seat. Any tips?
I gotta get this goin....an all black interior except for a sandal colored bench seat is embarrassing.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 13, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gossamer (Mike)

Steve...did you do your seat yet? How about the cargo cover?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 13, 11:03 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

I installed the freshly recovered three cargo covers on Friday and will be re-installing the front & rear seats today along with door panels.
Replaced the green panels, seat covers, and cargo area on the wagon with Pearl.
Can post pics later...

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 2:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Mike....I did re-cover my rear (middle seat) via PUI covers. Got them from OPGI. They fit great!!!! If you need any other info or feedback, PM me with your phone number and I'll walk you through the process.

Hey Bill.....I see that you bought Mike's 70 Wagon from New Jersey. I was with him at local show when he bought it last me......actually beat me to it. It is a clean ride...enjoy!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear seat_1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	76793  

Steve

Team Chevelle #3209
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2548 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.