69 Nomad Wagon Build
Thought I would start another build thread - since that is what I'm doing also.
1969 Chevelle Nomad Wagon. Bought the car a little over 2 years ago. Orignally a 6 cylinder, Turbo 350, 6 passenger (no rear seat) factory A/C car.
When I bought it, it was running. Not really drivable as the brakes were in sad shape. Non - power, 4 wheel drum brakes. Pedal was almost impossible to push down. Car had exhaust leaks at the donut gasket and plenum gasket.
About 6 months ago, I bought a power disc brake conversion kit for the car. Decided I was going to fix the exhaust leaks, the major oil leak at the fuel pump, rebuild the front suspension and then drive the car that way for awhile.
I removed the exhaust and intake manifolds and promptly broke every stud on the exhaust manifold. Now get this - my WIFE said, "honey, why don't you just buy a new engine for the car instead of messing with all that 40 year old rusty junk?". Wow! She really is the best wife ever!
I told her that if I put a new engine in the car that I wanted to remove everything from the engine bay and clean it up. That morphed into a frame off resto mod.
Pics are what I started with 2 years ago and where I am today. I haven't been able to do much in the past month or 2 because I have a terminally ill family member I'm taking care of as well. He is a trooper though - wanted to get out in the shop and help me with the car even though he isn't really able to do anything.
Plan for the car is - big block, 5 or 6 speed manual and 12 bolt with 3.50 or 3.73 gears. Car has rusty floors so as soon as those are repaired (will be doing that myself - wish me luck!), I will be removing the body from the frame. I plan on running new fuel and brake lines. Going to get a whole new wiring harness as well. Will be blasting as much of the car myself as I possibly can. I am also going to paint the car. I plan on buying a crate big block from someone. I also, at this point, plan on buying a Hurst driveline conversion kit with tranny.
This build will undoubtedly take a few years. Can't wait to get out and start cutting the rusty floors and getting those repaired so I can make some progress. Will likely be a month or two before I can get started.
I have actually made a bit more progress on the firewall disassembly. I have removed the air conditioner box and wiring.