69 Nomad Wagon Build - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 15, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 69 Nomad Wagon Build

Brakes are sorted. Just need a partner to help bleed now. The problem with the leaking on the passenger side was also on the drivers side. The banjo bolts are not properly machined and that allows it to put uneven pressure on the copper washer as it is crushed, resulting in leaks. Pic of the bolt and washers, see the right most washer and the ring near the inside.

Bought some different bolts and new washers. Installed and no leaks detected. Yay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0161.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	312626  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 15, 6:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Don'tcha love modern service parts? I try to use nice, clean original parts where possible.

Glad you got it sorted, looking forward to the next updates.
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I didn't realize it had been this long since I posted. I have made some progress. Engine was in and out a few dozen times while I worked out clearances. Originally purchased an F-body pan but, I just could not make the adjustment to get it all to work with that pan. It would either hit the cross member or, I couldn't line up the motor mount pins. So, alas, ordered the Holley 302-2 pan. Fits well. Clears everything.

Floors - I knew there was something funky with the floors on this car. It has some visible surface rust around the drip rails and rear pillars. Some slight bubbling in the rear quarter area on the driver side. I mean slight - like 2 or 3 bubbles. One actual rust thru right on the edge of the passenger rear quarter wheel opening that is about a quarter in size. The spare tire well has a bunch of extra, non-factory drain holes. Rockers are solid. Door hinge areas are solid. Doors are solid - they have some surface rust on the inside but minor; solid at the bottoms. There is some rust behind the windshield and, some of water leaking over the years looks like it may have crusted up the dash a bit in the corners by the pillars. Overall, car is fairly rust free. But, the floors were weird. Turns out the previous owner went to extreme measures to cover up the rust there. On the underside of the car, there was bondo and fiber glass. It was still pretty obvious, looking underneath the car, that the floor had issues. The inside - well, not sure what all it was. Definitely some fiber glass in there. Maybe fiber glass cloth spread across the floor and then coated with resin? Most of it was hard. There was some black, gooey mess as well. The hard parts pulled up mostly in "sheets". Anyway, got all the cover on the inside out and was left with the attached pic. Most of the worst parts are in the foot wells. The floor between the front and middle braces was pretty solid. The front drivers and rear passenger foot wells areas were the worst. Pic is rear passenger side. Front drivers side had a hole about 4 inches in diameter. Rust on the passenger front goes up higher into the firewall than does the drivers side front. Floor is mostly cut out of drivers side. Braces are solid. I ordered 64-67 floor pans to go back in. I bought the Auto Metal Direct pans. The contours are not all exactly the same. Looks like the length will be good.

Hope this wasn't too long and boring.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0190.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	430610  

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 17, 7:08 PM
Cliff

Any new updates?
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 19, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

2.5+ years since last post - I am still working on the car. Life and work settled down some. I finally finished up the floors a couple of months ago. Bought a new wiring harness from American Autowire and that installation is in progress. Along with that, re-assembly of the car (so the wiring has something to hook up to).

I plan to do some custom interior lighting - like a modern car. I want to install some map lights by the rear view mirror, keep the stock dome light and, add a dome light to the rear cargo area. I'd like for these to be switched so they can be configured to come on when the door opens or not, or be on with the switch. Anyone done anything like that? I also plan to use the ashtray as a "charging station" - two 12 volt charges and 2 USB charging slots.

David
71350SS likes this.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 11:52 AM
Team Member
Lyle

Hi there, my wagon build is also proceeding at a glacial pace. Right now I'm rewiring my console
with relays for windows and locks. The eBay link below shows an oem mirror with light.
I have these in all my old cars, picked them up at wrecking yards and swap meets.
Wired into the dash light dimmer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1971-O...YAAOSwEW9aXiyx

You can add one or two more dome lights, tap into existing circuit and they will work
like you describe. I added door switches to the back doors and used a window lockout switch
for a dome light switch just inside the tailgate.

Another build thread here mentions 67 floor pans being a better match than the 68-69.
Is your new pan for a wagon, sedan, coupe? And are you doing a two-door conversion? -lyle
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey Lyle -

Thanks for the info and link. I am quite the noob when it comes to wiring. I've had the harness for a few weeks. Been comparing with the old, studying, planning. I have the fuse box mounted and the rear body wires routed (not terminated). Working on getting the dash and instrument cluster routed.

I used 64-67 floor pans from AMD. I might still have part numbers somewhere. They fit pretty well. Took some convincing (that is, pounding with a hammer and some heat) around parts of the the floor braces and at the body mounts in the front brace. I am not doing a 2 door conversion.

David
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 6:55 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Hey David, how is this progressing? I'm about to get mine back after 4.5 years as I have not been in an hurry and I've moved twice. Where in OK are you? We will be down there the week of 6/20-ish. Bryan

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 7:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

One word: Two Door.

Our You Tube Vids:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in