Gary

Re: 69 Nomad Wagon Build

Like the floor pan that's my next thing to install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 7:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, 9 months later now and a bit of microscopic progress. Got the engine frame mounts installed. Wish I had done it when the lower control arms and springs weren't there but, it wasn't too bad.

Also, got the oil pan today. I went with the f-body pan. Should be getting the rocker cover gaskets and motor mount plates soon.

More progress to come in the following weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	270090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0140[1].jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	270098  
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 10:24 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Hey David, great to see you back at it...slow and steady wins the race...

I actually wish I could find a 68-69 wagon for my next project.

When I was a kid, (probably about 1980-1982) I knew a fella' with a 69 that had the big wood grain on the sides he had made it into an SS clone... I still think of that wagon when I see yours...

"LS swap without breaking the bank"

"Project Greenbrier" build thread...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 10:52 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

I love the original color, stance and wheels. Nice project, glad to see yet another wagon get a LS motor.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old May 29th, 15, 8:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

On my 70 Nomad wagon, (SS 468). I mounted a late Mdl. (after Mkt. Cruise control). The unit is not real cheep. This unit works with with Carbs or 2015 F.I. cars. ( Same as late model cars, ,resume,coast,bump up speed,) NOTE: I had to mount a relay under the dash, WHY? I have ALL L.E.D. lighting, LEDs DO NOT draw enough Amps to unloc the cruise from the Brake pedal AKA Brake lights. While testing my NEW Cruise, FRIGGEN near wrecked at 35 MPH. Hit the brake pedal and the 468 never slowed down, Get it out of gear QUICK, Change underware, And figure it out.
I mounted the Electronic servo unit "IN" the right side cowl , Just to the left of the the A/C vent/flapper. Ran the cable across and under the wiper linkage, I used one of the wiper motor bolts that extended on the inside of the cowl, " Used a rubber enclosed clamp and bolted it to wiper bolt".
Keeps it away from wiper linkage. Then ran the cable down and it came out behind the Booster. This way it looks like part of the Carb. or 700R cables.
My 468 with a Carb & 700R4 & 3:07 - 12- bolt gets 19-20 MPG on the I-State in cruise. Wagon has been on the road for 6--7--years and 34.000 miles.
Click the BLUE to C my 2...................................Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old May 30th, 15, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So, I was removing the truck exhaust manifolds from the cylinder heads. The drivers side - front and rear bolts broke off in cylinder heads.

Is it easy to extract those from aluminum or, should I just heli-coil it?

Also, spark plugs looked OK. Worn but not fouled or anything. But, the intake ports on the cylinder heads - I ran my finger in one port and pulled it out as I rubbed against the port wall. A dark, moist sludge came out on my finger. Thoughts? Fuel additives? Oil? Engine wasn't smoking before I pulled it.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old May 30th, 15, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Mike and Bryan. I was (am) inspired by Mike's work on the Greenbrier project. I appreciate the knowledge you guys share. I couldn't do this without it.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old May 30th, 15, 7:40 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Sure thing. I've gotten a lot of help from many different boards and am here to help as well. I am documenting in a little more detail on my LS1 thread. The fuel tank has more of my attention right now, but I have that narrowed down to three options really. Unfortunately my stuff didn't get here to get to the tank guy today, so I'll have to do it sometime next week.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 5:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fuel delivery system modification is my "fear" so to speak with this project. As I was obsessing over it out in the garage this evening, I came across this:

http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/projec...aug72006-1.htm

I have renewed confidence that this car is actually going to run again someday and it won't burn my house down, it won't charbroil me and, it won't cost too much money
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 9:07 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

I have been trying to find electrical bulkheads like you describe for the exact same application. I like the solution, I am surprised that no one seems to sell them or maybe we are not calling them by their proper name making it harder to find them. I haven't yet decided how I'm going to run the wires, but I did go with a tanks inc piece that is doing kind of the same thing this guy did. Except I'm going to use the sender/pick up as the return and use the tanks inc piece as the main pick up. In also having a baffle installed just past the fuel pump as more of a safeguard than anything as I don't plan on running he fuel level very low. I'll post pics in my BT once I get the tank back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 15, 5:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Made some progress this weekend. Brakes installed. The car was originally a 4 wheel drum car. Now it has a "factory" front disc conversion. I bought the kit from Matt's Bowties. The kit is also known as the "Right Stuff" conversion kit? Anyway...

Fairly happy with the kit. I spent the extra $100 bucks or so and had the stainless steel pre-bent brake lines included. These lines were very close - the line that goes from the prop valve to the back rubber hose was about 2 inches "short" from being able to use the last factory tie down clamp. Probably could bend it a bit and that would work as well. The front disc steel lines are what I will call "kludgy" but, they work. I will probably remake or modify them. I had to make one line that goes from the master cylinder to the new prop/combi valve because the one they provided was too short for me to tweak it so it would connect. It was about 4 or 5 inches of tubing. I made one that was bent basically the same way but with bigger loops (about 10 or 12 inches of tubing) so that I could tweak it and get it connected.

I'll upload some pictures later.

Only problem I have is the passenger side brake hose where it attaches to the caliper with copper washers is leaking.

Engine - had a set back there. Will need to find 2 replacement cylinder heads. Bummer
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 15, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrslider View Post

Only problem I have is the passenger side brake hose where it attaches to the caliper with copper washers is leaking.
Walked out in the shop today and there was a puddle of brake fluid by the front passenger tire. Bummer...
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 15, 10:48 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrslider View Post
Engine - had a set back there. Will need to find 2 replacement cylinder heads. Bummer

What's wrong with your cyl heads...???

"LS swap without breaking the bank"

"Project Greenbrier" build thread...
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 15, 7:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Greenbrier View Post
What's wrong with your cyl heads...???
Oh, I broke one of them. It had a broken exhaust manifold bolt on the end hole. In my attempt to fix it, I made quite a breakthrough - right to a water jacket. I should have pulled the head and used the drill press. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be. Got the bit off a bit and now it flows water in a place I don't want it - namely on the ground.

I will replace them in pairs so...

Might go ahead and freshen up the block now too. Not sure.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 15, 8:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So, I got replacement cylinder heads. Opinion - is this a score or a rip?

I had been pricing rebuilt heads and couldn't find anything cheaper than about $300 bucks each rebuilt with around (average) $100 core charge. One head was not a suitable core so I would end up paying one core charge, making the heads basically $350 apiece.

Decided to check eBay. Found a set of new 317 castings, not rebuilt, for $526 for the pair. So I jumped.

Got the heads yesterday. Only thing about them? It looks like someone started to do some port work on one of the heads - one intake port floor has been ground on slightly.

Hope to get them installed in the next week or two. Engine goes in after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in