Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 12, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 69 Nomad Wagon Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Wagon View Post
cybrslider, where are you at in Oklahoma?
Are we by chance close neighbors?
Depends on your definition of close. I'm in Tuttle now so about 50 plus miles I would guess if you're in Edmond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 8:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Man, plans to restore a car can sure be derailed easily.

Did not get the house with the 3 car garage - got a house with two one car garages. Have almost no room to do anything in them. The car is in one of them. House only has 100 amp electric service and no 240 volt outlets so I haven't been able to weld all this time. So, new plans. For now, will just be cleaning up the engine bay, rebuilding the front and rear suspensions. Will probably find a used small block and turbo 350 and stick in there. Just to get the car running and usable again.

I have made very little progress. I have the front suspension removed and everything off the firewall. Will begin working on the control arms to get them cleaned up and new parts installed. Hopefully will have the frame rails and fire wall painted and the front suspension done in the next couple of weeks. I usually manage about 2 or 3 hours a week on it right now so it is slow going....
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 9:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Try to find a Miller 135 or 140, it works great on 120 volts. Nice car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M20 by Wally
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Chevelle rusty
'69 4 DR 350 w/pg

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks John.

I've got a Miller 180 that I just bought about a month before I moved. Only has about 2 or 3 hours on it.

Might try to get a 120v welder if I end up staying in this house. I don't have the room on the property to build a bigger garage. May try to talk wife into moving again only this time I get to pick the house! lol
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 1:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic

Cybrslider (can I have a real name to call you by) and Dan,

Here is a little something to insire you both....

Dan you`re a good man to built your wife a wagon.....see you at NOCC.

Dan

Owner of..... The 1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Registry
1969 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Frost Green
1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Lemans Blue (Sold to "69 Post Sedan")
1972 SS 502 T400 410 posi Mohave Gold
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Gulfstream Blue
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Cybrslider,
life is full of direction changes and distractions. Glad you are getting back to some progress on you wagon.

Dan (postsedan)
Sorry for the direction change, but I noted in the pics of the wagon you posted that it has the chrome on the tail gate at the wiper for the moving gate window. I have only seen that on Olds, Buick and Pontiac wagons, and after trying to get a strip off of a car for my 70 Concours realized it is held on with very special slots and clips and is pain to remove. Is that comething that was used on certain 1969 wagons or was it owner added?

Best to all,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 3:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic

Owner add-on.

Dan

post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 13, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postsedan View Post
Cybrslider (can I have a real name to call you by) ...<snip>
I'm David
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 12:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Send a message via AIM to Malibulvr Send a message via Yahoo to Malibulvr

My car went through the same thing. I took it off the road for an engine swap, when it came out, I had the smart idea to rebuild the suspension. Then the front sheetmetal came off and then the interior. It has sat since 97 ever since. Last week my son and I cleared all the garbage from around, in and on top of it. Time to make a dent, good luck!
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 13, 6:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrslider View Post
I'm David
Much better, thank you....David

Dan

post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, a bit of progress. Microscopic really. I had the entire front suspension removed for replacing ball joints and bushings. Got the lower bushings and ball joints out.

You all probably already know this - Easy off oven cleaner; works like a hot tank in a spray can. I doused those lower control arms in the stuff, let them soak over night and then took them to the car wash and sprayed them down. It removed the rust scale and about 90% of the grime. There were a couple of places that the crud was caked on pretty thick and it didn't get all of that off. All in all though, a great time and effort saver. The stuff is caustic though - apply in well ventilated area and use rubber gloves when working with it.

Upper control arms are next. Today was going to be their day but, was sidelined by a leaking roof
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, been a little over a year since I've posted. I have done some more disassembly in the past year - interior bits, wiring, dash, etc.

Also, I decided to go LS with this wagon so I sourced a 6.0L LQ4 truck engine and 4L80e trans. Used, with about 100k on them. I bought a donor vehicle and removed everything I could think of - fuel lines, ecu, tac, engine, trans, radiator. Going to clean it up and paint it. Still need oil pan, etc.

The car had been up on jack stands since I removed the front suspension. I have limited room and won't be able to install in engine in the car where it sits now. So, I've had all these boxes on my shelves for about 2 years - decided it was time to throw some parts at the car.

I need it to be a roller to get the engine in. I also need to get all the stuff back up on the firewall. So, I started with the new brake booster. And, I got the new disc brake spindles and UMI control arms installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0137.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	200522   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0138.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	200530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0139.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	200538  
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 3:47 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrslider View Post
Also, I decided to go LS with this wagon so I sourced a 6.0L LQ4 truck engine and 4L80e trans.

Excellent choice...when all is said and done you will be very glad you went this route...

Keep us posted...

If you have any LS Q's ask away, I've had the old "Project Greenbrier" on the road for about 2500 miles now...love that LS powerplant.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 4:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Greenbrier View Post
Excellent choice...when all is said and done you will be very glad you went this route...

Keep us posted...

If you have any LS Q's ask away, I've had the old "Project Greenbrier" on the road for about 2500 miles now...love that LS powerplant.
Mike - I've been subscribed to your build thread. Love it! I posted a few comments in that thread. Particularly interested in your fuel tank solution. I've been trying to model my solution after yours. I am leary of the electrical connections for the fuel pump though. I've never worked on the fuel system of a FI car before. Haven't seen how the fuel pump wires come out of the senders, etc. or how they are wired and how the wire and connections are kept isolated from the fuel.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

I love the Nomad wagons, all wagons really. I was searching for one for about six months when i came across a 64 Malibu four door, third seat, inline six for 1500 -with some extra parts. A 68-70 wagon, or Nomad, would have been nice but i got to liking my 64 real quick. It compliments our 65 Conv. and 68 coupe nicely. Once done with the 65 (in a year or so) i will start on the SW. I am going to keep the I6 nad powerglide, it's running good and should save me a few bucks to spend on something else. I will continue to follow your build, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in