72 Concours wagon project - Page 52 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #766 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 17, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Re: 72 Concours wagon project

Not sure why Holley would raise the engine/trans over stock positioning but I understand the need for clearancing the tunnel now. Sweet Performance makes banjo fittings for transmission cooler lines. I used them to get the needed clearance on the cooler lines.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 12:17 AM

i'm sure you mentioned this but what was the year / model of the engine/trans harness you're using?
post #768 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

1999 L29, 7.4L Vortec with matching 4L80e from a 1 ton motor home chassis with 14K miles on it. Did a cam change, injector change, removed the EGR and canister purge ports from the intake. Upgraded the distributer to an aluminum one from the plastic the factory uses. Harness is a Painless part # 60211. Then I swapped from the 4 plug truck ECM that Painless was built for to an 0411 2 plug ECM. This necessitated all the ECM wires be moved into the 2 80 pin connectors. Added wires for the PRNDL switch, Performance Mode switch and the electric cooling fans.

Comparing the 99 truck, the 02 Express van (using the ECM and tune from this vehicle) wiring diagrams tonight, and the sheet for swapping the wires from the 4 plug to the 0411 I got from Lextech at GM Truck Central, I found a discrepancy in the pinout for the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) circuit. I need to move that wire and it may solve the issue. Wish I had found it before removing the oil pan to change the leaking harness, now I need to wait for the harness to arrive and put the pan back on to test if that one wire has been the problem. Today alone I have spent more than 10 hours going over the various wiring diagrams and many more hours in the previous month trying to find this problem. I think I can see light at the end of this tunnel, just hope it isn't the train.
LeoP likes this.

63 Nova wagon

post #769 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 8:56 AM

sorry to hear how long its taken to nail this down... any chance the big trans plug on the painless harness was wired for a 4l60 rather than the 4l80? doubtful, but there are a couple wire differences there between the two:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...g-swap-413157/

any obd codes coming up that are putting the trans in limp mode?

another option to take the ecm out of the equation would be to manually switch the solenoids just to see if it will shift from 1-2, i.e.

1ST GEAR = SOLENOID A ON SOLENOID B OFF
2ND GEAR = SOLENOID A OFF SOLENOID B OFF
3RD GEAR = SOLENOID A OFF SOLENOID B ON
4TH GEAR = SOLENOID A ON SOLENOID B ON

https://forum.efilive.com/attachment...8&d=1268029532
post #770 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Plug is for a 4L80E, this harness and transmission worked with the truck ECM in another car. There are shift commands in the HP Tuner software to manually shift the transmission, nothing happens when using them. Engine and transmission sat in my shop for 3 years after buying it before it was installed and started. Nothing should have changed to cause this except the ECM swap. The ECM is from a vehicle that had a 4L80E. Comparing transmission tunes from one downloaded there were some differences. The values were changed to those of a known working tune but it did not make any difference.

Going out to do more testing after breakfast and check again for codes. There wasn't any last time it was checked, but the car has been driven since then. Going to test the shift solenoids to see if they operate manually at the transmission bypassing the ECM and the harness.

63 Nova wagon

post #771 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 3:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #772 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 3:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

X2...........I'm hopin' for a ride soon..........
post #773 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 17, 6:49 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
X2...........I'm hopin' for a ride soon..........
I can take you around the block at 25 mph

63 Nova wagon

post #774 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 17, 4:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Ya know, seachin my lame brain, I remember back when we had late model(for then 94 model year) GMC 6500 trucks, if that trans overheated, the truck went into what we called Mexican overdrive-aka neutral, til it cooled down some, so, if my foggy brain is on the right path, you might have hit the nail on the heat with the temp wire, good luck!!

Leo Paugh
A.C.E.S.#3731

post #775 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 17, 7:55 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Worked for NAPA yesterday to cover a shift for an employee that lost her grandmother so nothing was done. Will be working tomorrow also.

Today I changed the internal harness and put power to the shift solenoids, both clicked. Ohmed out the old harness but could not find any open wires. Installed the pan, filled with ATF and went for a drive...tranny started in first and shifted to second but that was it. No 3rd or 4th yet and after a couple of shifts it is back in limp mode 2nd gear only.

After it cooled off the shift solenoids were ohmed out and both are within specs. This last drive set 2 codes, P0706, Transmission range sensor performance and P0758, Shift Solenoid B Electrical which would cause not having 3rd or 4th gears. The P0706 code is baffling, there is a switch on the transmission and the 4 wire plug is wired to the ECM but was disabled in the tune. Without it enabled the software does show range changes when the shifter is moved.

Before moving the TFT wire the 11 wires from the ECM to the 20 pin connector on the transmission will be checked for continuity. I need to see if the software will show transmission temperature and it it does the wire will not be moved right away. If harness checks out and still doesn't shift the shift solenoids will be replaced. Wanted to do it with the harness change so the pan would not be removed twice but believe in only changing one thing at a time. I am really thinking it is the solenoids because after manually cycling the 1/2 worked a few times.

63 Nova wagon

post #776 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 17, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Good luck! Condolences to your coworker.

Leo Paugh
A.C.E.S.#3731

post #777 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

The wires from the ECM to the transmission connector were checked and all are good. Today the shift solenoids will be changed, the oil was drained last night. Yesterday my laptop with the tuning software crashed. I can load the software on another laptop but have lost the files on that one.
While the pan is off to replace the solenoids the TCC solenoid will be checked as well as the pressure regulator. I'm hoping the shift solenoids are the problem. When checking them the 2-3 would click very softly compared to the 1-2.

63 Nova wagon

post #778 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 4:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Leo Paugh
A.C.E.S.#3731

post #779 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 4:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Well still no shifting taking place. I am beginning to wonder if it is a bad ECM. Time to call the local tuner and have him take a look. So far the high point of the last few days has been receiving a notice for jury duty
LeoP likes this.

63 Nova wagon

post #780 of 987 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 5:06 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Do you have access to another 411PCM that you can flash your tune to and test?

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in