260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 8:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
George

Re: 72 Concours wagon project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I am considering that, especially if there is not enough solid metal to weld to. After the rust is cleaned off a determination will be made. I know for sure what ever gets done will not be part of the roof, all the repair is going to be done below the roof line.
When I did the rear roof rails on my 67 I used the panel bonding adhesive.It worked real well,still holding up after 4 years. The previous owner shaved them and mudded them up.Talk about lots of rust.Had to fab the channels for the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 14, 3:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

George what kind of set up time does it have? I heard you it needs to be positioned quickly.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 14, 3:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Fabricated the shift linkage today. The pivot needed to be moved back 3" to align with the transmission selector shaft. I cut and extended the frame bracket and used a longer cross shaft from an X body. Also used the down rod from an X body and extended it 2". With the factory column shifter it will go into all gears, including first.

It tucks up tight to the floor, plenty of room for the exhaust.

63 Nova wagon

post #64 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 14, 4:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

The tool well showed up last week, nice piece, quick shipping as well.

I'm assuming the step in it is to allow for an overlap weld rather than a butt weld.
I think I'll use Pete's suggestion and make it a few inches deeper than stock.

63 Nova wagon

post #65 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 14, 4:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Decided on the placement of the PCM. Fits well and easy to access if necessary.
The wires will be run between the fender and inner fender, under the brake booster and behind the engine. Some will need to be extended but this seems like the best place to put it. The few that need to go inside the car will enter through the speedometer hole, will not be using the speedometer cable and the hole and grommet are sized perfectly.

This idea was scrapped, the wires were not long enough to reach and decided to use a different PCM

63 Nova wagon

Last edited by Philip; Apr 5th, 17 at 11:32 AM. Reason: update
post #66 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 14, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hi Philip,

Agree with making the well deeper, but remember then that becomes the lowest point on the rear of the car.

My original load well was horribly scarred up from being backed over things, and it was tucked up in a position the same as an El Camino fuel tank. I would be worried that lower would attract all sorts of interesting carnage.

Everything else looks like it's going well for you.

Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #67 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 14, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Good point. Mine was all beat up and the bumper has scrapes along the lower edges too. And then there are the dents in the right rear quarter, left front fender, drivers door, tailgate and hood. It appears that at some point the left rear tire fell off, folded up the back of the wheel opening, bent the lower control arm, wore the backing plate off flat on the bottom probably from dragging the pavement and then it appears the wheel and tire tore up the storage well on the left side. IMO the previous owner didn't know how to drive well

63 Nova wagon

post #68 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 14, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Yours musta been owned by the same guy (or relatives of) that owned mine. Every portion of the body (doors, quarters, gate) has been shown some love. That doesn't include the fact that the car had a new front clip and (I would find) needed a new frame. Real on-road demo derby driver I guess.

I keep telling myself that at least mine didn't have rust in the floors or roof/front window area. Load well, rear quarters, rear side windows... something else entirely.

At least my little girl loves riding in it.
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #69 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

More progress, removed the front springs to use in the frame upgrade. The wagon springs are shorter and stiffer than the ones in the El Camino. Looking at the rear springs they appear to be the same height but the wagon has a wire diameter that is twice that of the El Camino. Thought I took a photo but can not find it

Cleaned and painted a bunch of small parts today. About 3 hours to make them look new again. gotta love Arizona metal, no pitting of the steel after 40 years of use.

These are the rear frame braces, first ones I have seen in person. They are made of a lot heavier steel than I thought.

These are the original park brake cable guides, they are rubber coated where the cable rides.

Like the El Camino the wagon has raised axle bumpers. The bracket also moves them outboard. From the condition of the rubber they have been in contact with the frame.

63 Nova wagon

post #70 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 1:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hey Philip,

in your first picture, center, what are the 2 "C" shaped pieces with the holes in the ends of the "C"? They look familiar, but I can't remember what they are for/from, and my El Camino and Wagon don't have them.

And isn't non rusty stuff fun to clean, and aren't clean painted parts fun to reassemble?

Tom

post #71 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 14, 4:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
in your first picture, center, what are the 2 "C" shaped pieces with the holes in the ends of the "C"? They look familiar, but I can't remember what they are for/from, and my El Camino and Wagon don't hve them
Those are the standard brake line retainers used on the rear brake lines of chevelles without factory airshocks. El Caminos and other Chevelles with factory airshocks used the version that included stone guards to protect the air shock bladders. Those are in Phillips photo, also.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #72 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 14, 5:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Interesting. Never have seen those on a car, either running or a carcass. I have worked on several original 70-72 Chevy A-body cars without those. All had clips on the axle tubes.

Were those a year or plant related item? Most of the cars I have owned/worked with were Van Nuys builds.

Thx
Tom

post #73 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 14, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

The small c shaped ones are off of a 64 - 67 El Camino, seem to be for protecting the brake lines. The 68 - 72 version covers the brake lines and the lower arm bushing, still don't see how it protects the shock. All the El Caminos I have seen had one type or the other depending on the year.

63 Nova wagon

post #74 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 14, 9:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Found the photo of the springs, it was hiding in my phone.

Shorter ones are out of the wagon, the other from the El Camino, both had small blocks with AC.

63 Nova wagon

post #75 of 987 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 14, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Recently ran across this document at the GM Heritage site,

It states the Concours wagon had the area between the tail lights and the trim blacked out. Mine has been repainted so I can not tell. Has anyone seen a Concours with original paint with that area painted black?

And this page that shows both amber and clear parking lens used depending on model.

It was found here

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in