72 Concours wagon project - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 1:51 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Re: 72 Concours wagon project

Well I was wrong, the lines do need to be run different than stock, both supply and return need to be on the drivers side. I like the way you ran yours, the machine used is very cool too. As this is my last project car (too old and too broke to do another one) the investment in one would not be worth it for me.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 1:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hi Phil,
my wagon and my 70 Elco did have the threaded location under the door in the body.

I bought a set of Energy urethane bushings for a Monte Carlo, this set has the extra bolted bushings under the doors as well as the extra 2 bushings at the firewall (I added the 2-bushing-per-side brackets to the firewall to get all 4 bushings bolted). I needed to get the extra 2 floating bushings for over the rear axle as these are needed for an Elco/wagon, but not included for the Monte.

The Energy Monte bushings were a different inside diameter on a few, so I had to get the correct metal liners for a Monte Carlo. After getting all that together, it fell in line very easily. With the 4 extra bolted bushings (2 extra at the firewall plus under the doors) and the boxed frame, the wagon rides nice and tight. Well worth the agony I think.

Best
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #48 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Worked all day at it but accomplished little. Spent many hours redesigning the column shift linkage to work with the 4L80. Have it all done, just need to weld the pieces together.
The air intake tubing went in easily, still need to fabricate a bracket to hold the tubing to the fender and add a hole for AIT sensor.

here is the overall layout, it is 4" aluminum tubing

and the area the filter is in

and the little bit that will be removed from the fender, not necessary but will prevent any squeaks or rattles from the tight fit.

63 Nova wagon

post #49 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Looks bitchin' Phillip...can't wait to see this bad boy kill those rear tires...

I almost went the 8.1L route myself before I found the cheap 5.3's...

How much difference does the "elco" frame make...???

Apparently it has to make a big difference as I see so many of you guys doing this upgrade...(and I thought I was done with my major upgrades...)
post #50 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I wouldn't have done it except I needed a new frame anyway, and a boxed frame has some more rigidity than a "C" channel frame. I like the ride in my wagon. Even with looser suspension than my other cars, it rides and handles very well.

I'm happy with it, but wouldn't have done it if I didn't need to. At least, not so soon.

Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.

Last edited by chevygod; Oct 18th, 14 at 12:37 PM.
post #51 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 14, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Thanks Mike, can't kill too many rear tires I'm on a fixed income Probably going to be spring before it is on the road, but one video of a smoky burnout will be taken
The El Camino frame is less likely to flex in the middle because of the extra support from the boxed section. If a small block were being used I may not have spent the money buying the El Camino for the frame, but as it turned out enough parts were sold off of it to recoup most of the original cost.

63 Nova wagon

post #52 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
Hi Phil,
my wagon and my 70 Elco did have the threaded location under the door in the body.

I bought a set of Energy urethane bushings for a Monte Carlo, this set has the extra bolted bushings under the doors as well as the extra 2 bushings at the firewall (I added the 2-bushing-per-side brackets to the firewall to get all 4 bushings bolted). I needed to get the extra 2 floating bushings for over the rear axle as these are needed for an Elco/wagon, but not included for the Monte.

The Energy Monte bushings were a different inside diameter on a few, so I had to get the correct metal liners for a Monte Carlo. After getting all that together, it fell in line very easily. With the 4 extra bolted bushings (2 extra at the firewall plus under the doors) and the boxed frame, the wagon rides nice and tight. Well worth the agony I think.

Best
Tom
Tom how tall are the Energy Suspension bushings? Need to determine how far the stock bushings have collapsed. Hopefully I'll gain at least 3/4" more clearance in the transmission tunnel.

63 Nova wagon

post #53 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Found why the floor is wet after rain storms

Someone sealed the trim with silicon not allowing any water that got under the trim to drain off. Probably been that way for years. Guess it wasn't as rust free as I thought. The windshield will be removed this week end, hopefully there is not more under the glass.

63 Nova wagon

post #54 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Borrowed a homemade rotisserie from a friend and now have the frame up where it is easier to work on. Took most of the day to assemble it and get the frame stripped and mounted. Still need to remove the brake and fuel lines, shocks and one control arm and some miscellaneous brackets before blasting and painting. Purchased 3 bags of media to blast with, haven't decided whether to use POR 15 which I already have or primer and paint that will need to be purchased. The POR goes on easy, looks great and is easy to keep clean but can not be in sunlight. The sub frame on the Nova was coated with POR 15 and still looks great after 5 years under the car.

The Energy Suspension body and front control arm bushings arrived yesterday.
My tool well was shipped today...the shipping cost some how doubled but for $322.49 total it is still a great deal.
With the windshield channel repairs and the parts here and soon to arrive I have enough stuff to keep me busy for awhile.

63 Nova wagon

post #55 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Frame on mine is Rustoleum satin black, thinned with acetone. Easy to touch-up with a spray can of the RO satin. Seems OK so far, doesn't weather well in the sun, but the frame is completely covered by the body any way.

And Philip, every time I see pics of your Nova, either in the main, or the background, I like it more and more. like the late 60's/early 70's Nova's a lot, but like the body style of yours best.

Best,
Tom

post #56 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Thanks Tom, I enjoy the Nova, but looking forward to driving the wagon. Chevelle's have always been my favorite.
Found more rust today removed the windshield and the metal under the top of the glass came off with the glass. Fortunately the El Camino window channel is identical, just need to cut it out and weld into the wagon. Of course it is not as simple as it sounds....I hate rust, the wagon is lucky I like it. I have sold off cars I liked with less problems.

63 Nova wagon

post #57 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 6:37 PM
Gold Member

What kind of blast media are you using and where did you buy it? I am reluctant to use silica sand for health reasons.
post #58 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 6:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Jeff I use fine grit ground coal slag for outside blasting, no health hazards with it. The warning against mechanical irritation needs to be heeded. You don't want any of it getting in any sensitive areas. It can be found under various brand names, Black Beauty, Sharpshot etc. It is a byproduct of burning coal at power plants and at the mine smelters. The last purchased was from Tractor Supply with the brand name Black Diamond.

In the blast cabinet glass beads are used.

63 Nova wagon

post #59 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 3:31 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the info. I have used Black Beauty in the past, just did not know where to get any around here. I was using sand for a while, but I would like to get away from that. Tractor Supply is not all that far away.

As for the rust, would it work for you to use some of that autobody panel adhesive to put fresh metal inside and not have to do a lot of welding?
post #60 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 4:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
As for the rust, would it work for you to use some of that autobody panel adhesive to put fresh metal inside and not have to do a lot of welding?
I am considering that, especially if there is not enough solid metal to weld to. After the rust is cleaned off a determination will be made. I know for sure what ever gets done will not be part of the roof, all the repair is going to be done below the roof line.

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in