72 Concours wagon project - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 987 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Re: 72 Concours wagon project

I will soon be ordering some parts from you Pete. Going to need all the wagon specific weather stripping. I'll let you know what other items will be needed too. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I am just stumbling along trying to learn, a lot different from all the Malibu's I have owned.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 987 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 11:33 PM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina

No prob, I wish I had put more info on my web site like the differences about those emblems. I have binders of notes, pictures and documentation about 68-72 wagons only. I love them so much. i have had so many so I got the first hand knowledge of all the factory differences. its funny my uncle retired from gm he built a lot of the wagons himself at the plant. he had a unique job, he filled in for people when they were out so he got to fill in all the different assembly jobs. which means he did every assembly job there at some point.
you know i just commented a while ago about the braces that go from the upper to the lower rear control arms and i cant speak for 68. I have had a lot of wagons but never a 68. i do know about many of the differences that only the 68 has because it was the first year of the new body style and they worked out a lot of things by 69. so most of the time people will lump 68-and 69 parts together or even 68-72 and it is not always the case.
I am still working here near midnight on the east coast. I have a huge 6 month project i am cough up on so i have not been able to participate here as much as i want. thanks for some of the other guys jumping in there and answering questions and moderators for policing things. Wagons are my fondest hobby and i will be back on my projects and posting again soon. that's what keeps me going. its killing me right now, i drive my chopped chevelle everyday because my wagon's motor needs work and gets worse gas millage then my 10 mile to the gallon chevelle, but anyway i was saying it is killing me because my rear brakes need changing ans i want to take the opportunity to change the rear and convert it to discs and an aluminum drive shaft, but then why should i do that when i want to swap the entire frame with one that i built for it that is boxed and galvanized, then i get stuck with well i want to put the 2012 camaro ss motor in to get the power and mileage and it goes on and on, and i don't have time for any of it! ahhhhhhhh. guess I'll just pay a guy to change my brakes! ha ha i tend to ramble late at night when i have been putting in 90 hours a week. so that's all from me.

btw FO_FDYFO is ebonics for four fifty four.

Web Master,
wagon parts and info only at

Last edited by FO_FDYFO; Nov 1st, 14 at 12:11 PM.
post #33 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 13, 1:36 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Well very little has been done on the wagon, well actually nothing except to fill it up with Nova parts. Can not believe it has been here for over 18 months with no progress. Today however it has moved inside the shop. This move should be the motivation needed to start working on it. I was able to get under it for the first time and everything looks good except the storage well which will need replaced and the spare tire well that appears to be repairable.
The baby LS motor is gone, the LT1 is gone, both 4L60E transmissions are gone, the 700R4 is gone but replaced by a performance built one with a polished case (PO of the trans had too much extra time to fill). Have two 454 engines, one will be built the other sold. Probably sell the one with the steel crank and "thumb" rods as it will bring more money. The new engine plan is to build a 468 that can make lots of low end torque and run on regular gas. The Nova needs premium and that gets expensive on long trips.
Tomorrow all the parts that have been stored in the car need to come out so work can progress. Not sure were to start. Probably try to straighten some of the minor dings in the fenders and doors. That is mostly labor very little expense and will need to be done at some point.

63 Nova wagon

post #34 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 13, 7:26 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The baby LS motor is gone, the LT1 is gone, both 4L60E transmissions are gone, the 700R4 is gone but replaced by a performance built one with a polished case (PO of the trans had too much extra time to fill).

Why no more LS...???

That guy had some time on his hands...that that is one slick lookin' 700 though...
post #35 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 13, 9:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

It is pretty but no one will ever see it under the wagon
The LS style motor was a 4.8L which would have been fine to power the wagon around, not building a race car, just a cruiser. My expertise in these types of motors is poor now and even worse when the purchase was made. After checking the part numbers on various components it was discovered that I had purchased a bunch of parts that did not match. The engine was a 4.8L from an 04 Tahoe, the injectors and PCM were from a 6.0L out of an 06 truck. I did not get a throttle pedal or sensor, TAC module or harness, no fuel rails, crossover or pressure regulator and the PCM was not capable of drive by wire if I wanted to do a passenger car intake. Adding up the cost to actually have it installed and running was more that I wanted to spend. I got lucky and sold the engine and trans separately and recovered my money. If the opportunity to buy an LS powered vehicle for the right money comes along I still may go that route because then everything needed will be available and all match.
The sad part is the guy that sold me the set up took the 4.8L out of the Tahoe and put a 6.0L in it. He used the 4.8L PCM, injectors and fuel rails. He told me had problems with the truck not running right after the install and the MIL was on. Not sure if he ever got it figured out. Had I known before the purchase I could have saved myself a lot of time and aggravation.

63 Nova wagon

post #36 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 13, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

Thats the first Flame Orange wagon Ive seen ,I have a Flame Orange El Camino and love the color . I would love to have a wagon one day.
post #37 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 13, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Can you post a photo of your El Camino, would like to see it. It was my understanding that the Flame Orange Metallic color was an extra cost option, is that true? I like the color too and will stay with the it. Interior, what is left of it, is black.

63 Nova wagon

post #38 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 13, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

Unfortunately I cant post or e mail pictures due my my internet connection not cooperating .I dont know if it was an extra cost option or not but it is a unique color and gets lots of attention whenever it gets out which isnt often .
post #39 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 13, 1:54 PM
Tech Team

Here is a pic of my flame orange metallic 72 GS. I've never seen a wagon done in this color, I think it would look great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	120417  

Jeff

67 Chevelle convertible Ly6 4l80e
68 Nomad Custom Wagon
70 Chevelle Convertible
71 SS 454 Chevelle LS5 W/Build Sheet
72 Chevelle Convertible RJ 502 TKO 600
73 El Camino SS

68 Buick Skylark LQ9 4L65E
72 buick GS 350

post #40 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 13, 2:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Here's an Elky pic from Dale's site...looks a lot like John's.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #41 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 13, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Love the color. Thanks for the photos. I polished a little area on the fender and it looked good. Then I rolled the car out into the sunlight and it looked great. There is a lot of metallic in the paint.

It is amazing the color came back at all after all the years of oxidation. If it weren't for all the dents it would not need painted.

63 Nova wagon

post #42 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 13, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Jeff your Buick looks awesome

63 Nova wagon

post #43 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Finally got back to work on the wagon. Bought 6 engines and transmissions and sold 5 of them. Since this one is a running combination and already in the car for a test fit it is the one that will stay.
It is a 1999 L29 454 and 4L80E. Previous owner installed an Isky roller cam and had the engine tuned on a dyno. Put out 320hp and 440 lb ft of torque at the rear wheels in a 67 Camaro. Should move the wagon along nicely.
A shot of the 454, the one on the stand has been sold.

And some photos of it in the wagon

The 4L80 is a tight fit, going to need to make some room underneath by reshaping the floor. It appears the stock cross member is not going to work unless heavily modified. Anyone know of an after market one that is being produced?

It still needs to go up 2" to get the proper drive line angle.

The air intake tubing arrived tonight, tomorrow it will be mocked up for fit then the engine and trans will come back out to make room for the bfh adjustment to the floor and then all back in to insure a good fit.

Removed the oxidation from the hood, can not believe it came out so nice. When the sun shines on the paint it becomes totally different then when in the shade.

After all the test fitting it will go to the body shop. While it is gone I can work on rebuilding the El Camino frame that will be going under it.

Only took 1 day to get from here

to here

Should be fun moving the wagon body onto the El Camino frame

63 Nova wagon

Last edited by Philip; Mar 16th, 15 at 2:28 PM.
post #44 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 12:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

"Should be fun moving the wagon body onto the El Camino frame "

yeah, done that one. Make sure to get the bolts and bushings for under the door to add a little bit of extra rigidity.

Pics of fuel line routing for a wagon on an El Camino frame in my thread, although with your EFI mods, that info may be unuseable. Gonna be neat with that motor.

Good luck,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #45 of 987 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 1:36 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Tom I will be adding a fuel pump in the stock tank like was done to the Nova. I'll look at your routing to run the lines. Was also wondering if the wagon body had threaded holes in the center for mounts, good to know thanks. Just need 2 extra mounts, do any of the other models have a set with them included instead of the cushions?

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in