72 Concours wagon project - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 13, 7:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ralph

Re: 72 Concours wagon project

Phil, what front seats did you decide to go with in the wagon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 13, 7:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hi Phil,

I think (from what I know about Monte's) that any AC/radio car, AM or AM/FM or AM/FM stereo, got the dual speakers due to the center AC vent taking precedence over the center speaker. So that is just the way it was built, only way Chevy could do it. If the l+r side speaker mounts are factory and you don't need them, please let me know.

If you are going to do the El Camino frame for stiffness, you can add the bolted bushings under the doors, body should have the threaded insert, just need the appropriate bushings and sleeves. You could also add the vert/Monte mount boxes to the firewall to get the extra bushings there as well. Have done this to mine so I can add all the bushings I can to stiffen up that long body. Info in my nightmare wagon thread.

Wish you were closer, may need some El Camino bits.

Best regards,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #18 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 13, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
Phil, what front seats did you decide to go with in the wagon?
No not yet, Mary just says it can not be a bench seat unless she gets to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
Hi Phil,

I think (from what I know about Monte's) that any AC/radio car, AM or AM/FM or AM/FM stereo, got the dual speakers due to the center AC vent taking precedence over the center speaker. So that is just the way it was built, only way Chevy could do it. If the l+r side speaker mounts are factory and you don't need them, please let me know.

If you are going to do the El Camino frame for stiffness, you can add the bolted bushings under the doors, body should have the threaded insert, just need the appropriate bushings and sleeves. You could also add the vert/Monte mount boxes to the firewall to get the extra bushings there as well. Have done this to mine so I can add all the bushings I can to stiffen up that long body. Info in my nightmare wagon thread.

Wish you were closer, may need some El Camino bits.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom thanks for the info. Send me an email or PM with the bits you need. If they do not fit a wagon I will not be needing them. I saw the vert mounts you added to the firewall, I will not be doing that, the ones under the doors will be used.
Tonight my buddy came over and removed a good chunk of the left quarter panel. He wanted the gas fill door to use on his 66 Chevy truck. The cab mounted tank is coming out and one is being mounted under the bed. It was not a simple matter of just cutting around the door and pulling it out. Although the exterior sheet metal was rusted the wheelhouse looks like new.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Anybody know what these relays did? One would be the TCS, but I have never seen 2 installed before.

63 Nova wagon

post #20 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

on 71 cars one is TCS and the other is a reversing relay to make the TCS work right... Seems overly busy to me, but they do work, at least did on my Monte. I think there is another relay behind the dash that has something to do with the system as well, main power supply or something. Only on AC cars if I remember right...

Best,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #21 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Thanks Tom. I will look under the dash for the third one and will remove all and save before the car goes to its grave. It appears it was unmolested until the parts removal began.

63 Nova wagon

post #22 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hi Philip,
I will try to find the documents that describe the TCS operatio on a 71 and post it. Seems incredibly convoluted in its operation, especially when a car is being designed and the most elegant solutions can be inplemented, instead of "make do" solutions.
Best
Tom

post #23 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Did a little digging through the trash in the El Camino, found this, wires still connected...wonder if it works

63 Nova wagon

post #24 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 11:40 PM
Tech Team
Matt

Plilip,
This is looking like a great project you have going. I will be keeping tabs on this one. There are a couple of us Az wagon boys here. When we all have our wagons all ready to roll out. We should all get together and plan a cruise up to one of the big car shows like the Route 66 show in Flag.
Best of luck with this wagon.
Matt

post #25 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Matt I would be up for that. Do not know how long before it is road worthy though. Money is the hold up, have plenty of time and desire

63 Nova wagon

post #26 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 12:12 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Man, Brother. I hear you on the money part. That is the same roadblock I keep running into. I have been stuck with only being able to do short runs with my wagon. Developed a radiator leak a few months ago. I thought, "no big deal". but then I tried to find a new one. I have been out of the classic car hobby a little long. 12 years ago. You could go to Autozone and pick up an OEM Modine radiator for your old Chevy for maybe $150.00. Not NO MO! Now you can only get at the A.Z. and others these aluminlum core with plastic tanks garbage for that kind of money. To get an OEM radiator I could only find them through ordering from one of the restoration parts places for around $600.00. WTH???!!! This hobby has changed. Not sure what I am going to do. I cannot even find a good used one around. I do not think mine is fixable. So it is just short runs for me for now.

post #27 of 987 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 7:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Did a little digging through the trash in the El Camino, found this, wires still connected...wonder if it works

An update, this is actually a Ford part, has the Ford logo and part number on it. Sure looks to be the same as the GM radio.

63 Nova wagon

post #28 of 987 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 11:08 PM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina

Quote:
Thanks Bob, there is just a bunch of small dents and the rear wheel opening repair from a tire falling off. The lower control arm is also bent. The interior needs carpet and headliner, both missing. Sweep dash with a factory clock, bench seats that need reupholstered. The air defector and luggage rack are both in great shape. I will need the left rear pedestal, this one is broken.
Were the rear frame braces standard on wagons? it was just a 350/th350 with a 10 bolt but has the braces

I see you got your rear brakes on, the rear end is looking good
what pedestal is broke?
and the braces came on all wagons just like elcaminos. on the cars, it would have had to have been ordered with the f41 suspension but not wagons.

btw FO_FDYFO is ebonics for four fifty four.

Web Master,
wagon parts and info only at
post #29 of 987 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FO_FDYFO View Post
what pedestal is broke?
and the braces came on all wagons just like elcaminos. on the cars, it would have had to have been ordered with the f41 suspension but not wagons.
Drivers side rear, have not been able to find one. Ran across a 68 B body wagon, the roof rack appears to be the same. Car is rusting into the earth but it or nothing on it are for sale (:

63 Nova wagon

post #30 of 987 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 11:13 PM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina

Quote:
Well I am 0 for 2 on the emblems. They are new and beautiful, but the first mistake made was the auction was for 2 now I have 4, second mistake and this is a big one the emblems for a Concours Estate (as they were listed) apparently mount different than the Concours. Although they appear the same, are the same size the mounting studs are in the wrong place and there are 3 not 4.

why are wagon parts so difficult I need to learn more about them quick before I spend all the project money on the wrong parts
actually, the earlier pre 71 emblems have different holes, same thing with the nomad emblems, i cant remember when the change was. i dont think it has anything to do with estate or not, it is the year. i think it was when they changed them from the fenders to the quarters. damn i am loosing some of this knowledge. I should have written the book on wagons 10 years ago. I have a box of emblems.

btw FO_FDYFO is ebonics for four fifty four.

Web Master,
wagon parts and info only at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in