Project Greenbrier - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 339 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 13, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Project Greenbrier

Couple of the 4l60e installed. I converted over the original Suburban 4x4 trans to rear wheel drive...I'm using the "truck pan" from the Sub.

It sits kinda' low...but it's not any lower than the F-body oil pan or trans cross member. I think it will be fine.

Original "double hump" cross member fits this app like a glove. Used two original holes in the frame for the front two holes...rear two were about 1/4 of a hole off. Quick trip through with a 3/8" drill bit and we are bolted up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 339 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 13, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Little more progress on the ol' ride...

Napa radiator #NR2700...$121.34

NAPA lower hose #7499...$16.21

These parts fit like gloves...absolutely bolt in no mods to anything...

Last shot is of my exhaust...don't know if I'll leave it like this or not...

Last edited by 72 Greenbrier; Aug 12th, 13 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Forgot pricing
post #48 of 339 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 13, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Decided to go with the Windstar fans...this fan module fits like Chevy made it for the Chevelle...

These are posted in the lS engine section under LS cooling options...

I don't mean to cross post...I just figure some of the guys interested in this might not venture over there.

post #49 of 339 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 13, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hi Mike,
Nice work and set up. How do you think those Windstar fans would fit in a regular Small/Big Block cooling set up with a non-plastic tank radiator?
Keep it going,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #50 of 339 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 13, 8:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
How do you think those Windstar fans would fit in a regular Small/Big Block cooling set up with a non-plastic tank radiator?

Thanks Tom...

I think they work fine with the "big" radiator. Thunderstruck507 and Sinister are both using them with 3-core stock Chevelle radiators.

They are the one's that suggested I look into this fan setup.

For reference purposes in my research I found these are suppose to flow a tad over 4400 cfm...
post #51 of 339 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 13, 7:21 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Liking the thread. I actually just bought a 72 concourse and am thinking of doing an LS conversion and have been reading everything I can. What did you decide to do for your gas tank issue? Seems like in the wagons that may be a major issue. Looking forward to see the outcome.
post #52 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
Liking the thread. I actually just bought a 72 concourse and am thinking of doing an LS conversion and have been reading everything I can. What did you decide to do for your gas tank issue? Seems like in the wagons that may be a major issue. Looking forward to see the outcome.

Thanks Steve...funny you should ask about my fuel system. I started on it last weekend but didn't make much progress...the heat and humidity up here has been kicking my butt. (We're not use to this kind of weather this late in the year up here in the Dakota's.)

I'm going to use an in tank GM 281 pump. Build a hanger off my stock 3/8"s line and reinforce it...and add a another 5/16"s return line to my tank somewhere...and...try and make it all fit in the original access hole.

I'll try and have some pics next week I hope...
post #53 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 8:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ralph

Mike, the 71 wagon has 2 lines to the sending unit because of the increase in emissions, I believe. I just removed mine and found that the resistance sender for the fuel gauge is FUBAR ( https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499953 ). I found and have a "new" used sending unit coming from a yard in Washington State. Would a 71 unit be of use to you because of the 2 lines? If so, either you could find one at a yard in your area or I can send you my old one for the price of the mailing. This way, you would not have to fabricate a return line in your tank. Email me if you want it.

Ralph D
65 Nova Wagon-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

71 Chevelle Concours Wagon-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD
68 Chevelle Nomad Custom Wagon -
SOLD
68 El Camino -
SOLD
69 El Camino
Stripped and buried!
post #54 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 9:47 PM
Administrator

Garage

Mike I recently added an in tank electric pump to the Nova using the stock sender. I added a line in the sender for the pump and used the original line as a return. It was easy to do, only took a few hours after spending a week engineering it I plan on doing the same to wagon tank.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #55 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
Mike, the 71 wagon has 2 lines to the sending unit because of the increase in emissions, I believe. Would a 71 unit be of use to you because of the 2 lines? If so, I can send you my old one for the price of the mailing. This way, you would not have to fabricate a return line in your tank. Email me if you want it.
Thanks Ralph...I'll check tomorrow on my line situation.

I think my tank is plumbed like yours. I've been following your sender thread.

I may take you up on this anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Mike I recently added an in tank electric pump to the Nova using the stock sender. I added a line in the sender for the pump and used the original line as a return. It was easy to do, only took a few hours after spending a week engineering it I plan on doing the same to wagon tank.

That's excellent...do you have any pics of your work???

What size were your lines??? Were there just two???

I think I have three like Ralph...3/8"s feed, 5/16's return and either 5/16's or 1/4" vent.
post #56 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 13, 1:49 PM
Administrator

Garage

Mike this is what I started with, 1 line 3.8" diameter. The pump used was from an 82 Corvette.

A 1/4" hole was drilled in the plate for the new pipe. A punch was used to enlarge the hole because it also tapered it like GM did.

Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the finished set up. Another small hole was drilled for the pump wires. The strainer and a rubber fuel line were attached to the pump. The length of the line was adjusted to allow for slight pressure on the stainer against the bottom of the tank. Now to get it all in the small hole in the tank the pump with the hose attached was lowered in, then the sending unit was installed. Both were pulled up and the fuel pump hose was attached to the new pipe. Then the assembly was lowered in and the lock ring installed.
If running fuel injection a reservoir will need to be installed too. I am working on a tank modification for that too but it requires enlarging the opening for the sender. With the larger opening the installation is the same as later model cars and there is enough room to get into the tank to install a reservoir cup.
A few photos of the work so far.

Here are the 2 openings. Both were cut out of the tanks and the larger one installed in the Nova tank.

The Nova tank with the hole enlarged

The larger lock ring assembly installed

the mock up with a junk sender installed.

63 Nova wagon

post #57 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 13, 3:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Man...thanks for the great pics Phillip!

I'll take that extra sending unit. Mine only has one line...

Ralph you have a PM...
post #58 of 339 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 13, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Garage

Found a photo of the pump hanging on the sender. To make it work the pipe was shortened and a longer hose used, but it shows the style pump used. That style is available from 14 psi up to 80 psi.

63 Nova wagon

post #59 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 13, 4:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Got a little R&D done on the fuel system...I think I'm going to leave the original tank opening alone for now...I think I can make things fit with a little work.

Modified sender and pickup...

Pump and float...

In we go...

post #60 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 13, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Garage

No strainer on the pump

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in