Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 11, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Project Greenbrier

One more.

Oh, I also have the factory "Body Service Manual" for the 72's.

If you need any pages I will try and copy anything specific and get them to anyone who needs them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

post #18 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 11, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hey Mike,

Well huh, interesting.

Mine (70 Concours 2bbl 350) had lines that came thru frame at a 90 and ended just on the other side by the tank. Kinda like the rubber hoses on yours. Also, mine did not have the grommet (no surprise).

I was thinking of coming thru the frame, going 90* up and a little forward. Then a short connector hose to a piece of steel tubing up to the sender and vapor port.

I have the Fisher book for 71, now wondering how stuff change from 70-to-71-to-72...

Can you get one pic looking straight up from under the lines/frame/tank? You can post it in the "need view at frame and fuel tank 68-72 wagon" if you wish. I have a pic in that thread of the new lines mocked onto the frame showing how the originals came thru. My new ones are a little long now, awaiting my decision on how to terminate them.

Thank you for your input,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.

post #19 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 11, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
Hey Mike,

Well huh, interesting.

Mine (70 Concours 2bbl 350) had lines that came thru frame at a 90 and ended just on the other side by the tank. Kinda like the rubber hoses on yours. Also, mine did not have the grommet (no surprise).
Funny how GM would change things...mine, (72 Greenbier 2bbl 307) did not come through the frame. You can tell in the pics they are the original ends. (After you said yours came through the frame and turned up, I began to wonder if mine had been modified at some time in the past.)

For reference...on mine, both vapor and fuel are 5/16s line.

Last edited by 72 Greenbrier; Nov 2nd, 11 at 1:43 PM. Reason: More reference material
post #20 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 11, 1:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Hey Mike,

Can you get one pic looking straight up from under the lines/frame/tank? You can post it in the "need view at frame and fuel tank 68-72 wagon" if you wish. I have a pic in that thread of the new lines mocked onto the frame showing how the originals came thru.

I'll try. Let me know if these are ok...I can take as many as you need.

I'll post these in your thread also.

post #21 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 11, 4:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Mike

My original fuel supply line was 3/8" for a 350-2bbl. Seems odd when that is a size for BBC equipped cars. Maybe the line length required a bigger line to feed any motor 350" and above. Same vapor line diam as yours.

My original lines came thru the frame like your rubber lines in the last pic and ended. Perpendicular to the frame rail and parallel to the ground. Real pain to work with as they deadend right into the tank. I want them to turn and point upwards so I can have more room for access to maintain the rubber portion as well as to minimize the exposed rubber line behind the wheel.

In the CL link I posted in the other thread, you can see that the fuel lines on that wagon match yours. So something changed between 70 and 72. Wonder why...

Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #22 of 339 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 11, 4:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Wayne

Garage

Nice project you got going there. Also, I love the pontiac. I was actually trying to find one (prefferably a tempest) when I found the 67 chevelle I am currently working on. Oh well, "one of these days".

Later,
Wayne
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Well, time to get this project back on track...

Little background on why I've been absent from this build for a year.

On Nov 1st we were broken into and robbed. Guy took about $15,000 dollars worth of stuff.

Wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.

2 weeks later I had a heart attack.

Three small setbacks that took a lot of time, funds, manpower to overcome.

Wife and I are doing fine now...time to get on with "Project Greenbrier"

Ok...had a dickens of a time finding a suitable "6.0" for my build. So I finally started to look for 5.3's about 6 or 7 months ago. Nothing in my price range. (I wanted to stay under $1000 dollars for a complete running vehicle, I know that sounds low, but, I'm a "cheap ass") That way I can usually sell enough off of it to get my engine, harness, ecm, and all the misc. stuff you need off the donor rig for free and sometimes even make a little on the side.

Well, fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Found a wrecked 2001 GMC Sierra 5.3 4l60 combo. It had been sitting about 30 miles from home for three years. Thru the guy a SUPER low ball offer of $750...he bit.

Here's the good part. put a bat in it, drove it on the trailer.

Well, last week I find a "high mile" 2002 Suburban. Guy says runs and drives. Missing 1 door, grill, dash, fan and shroud...Tried the often offensive SUPER low ball offer again...he bit...$850 took this one home. That's right...drove it on the trailer.

I apologize for the long post, I wont do it again. It just feels really good to be on this project again after a long year.

Oh yeah, pics of my new donor "jewels" tomorrow.
post #24 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear of your setbacks, glad you are back at it. Congrats on the donor vehicles, really the best way to go.
Tom

post #25 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Couple of pics of the donor rigs...

post #26 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Here's how I get all my junk home...It's 6.0L powered...

Sorry it's so dirty...it gets used a lot.

post #27 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 12, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Mike:
Really glad to hear your and the wife are back in good health. Love watching this thread. Really looking forward to your swap progress. I just read a really good thread on the Nova forum from a guy who does a bunch of these LS1 swaps. He uses the truck motors quite a bit when doing the budget builds. Really makes sense. Here's his thread. It's from '09 but I found it really interesting.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=115983

Love the tow vehicle. Wish my cars were that dirty!

BG

Bob Green
Estero, FL

'72 Concours
'70 Greenbrier
'92 Lexus LS 400
'13 Jeep Compass
post #28 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 12, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks guys...

I'm researching cams right now...on the fence about this cam swap idea as it really doesn't go with the "budget" aspect of this build.

EDIT: Just sold the t-case of the Burb tonight...$250.00...money's on it's way back!

I hope I don't bore everyone to death with this part of the build...but I'm gonna' try and keep track of every cent, going out, and coming back on this, to try and see just how absolutely cheap you can do an LS swap if you have the desire to.

72SSWagon, your Nova link inspired me to do this.
post #29 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 12, 1:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I would love it if you would report this build in such a way. I can't justify a $2500 LSX conversion, but a "cost effective" one definitely gets my interest. Might even get it budgeted! Really want to see how you tackle the pump install, whether in the tank or outside. That is what worries me most about EFI, 'specially in a wagon...

Go Man, Go!

Tom

post #30 of 339 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 12, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Really want to see how you tackle the pump install, whether in the tank or outside. That is what worries me most about EFI, 'specially in a wagon...
Thanks, Tom.

I'm not the biggest fan of frame mount pumps. (They are the "easier" way out though.)

Here's what I think I'm going to do for my pump...(I borrowed these pics from Jeff Lilly Restorations)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in