Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robinls5

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Different Turn Indicator Shapes in 1970 Wagon Front Bumpers

Can anyone tell me why some 1970s wagons have the Chevelle coupe front bumper (rectangle turning indicator) and why some, like mine have the El Camino/Monte Carlo round turn indicator? I'm thinking it might have to do with some of the lower spec,, straight 6/307 models, but I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason. Not that I mind that mine has the round bumper lights as I'm probably going to put a set of fog lights in there and go with a halo for the turn indicator.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum

Build Threads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Any thoughts on why my front bumper had the Monte Carlo style parking lamps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 3:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Different Turn Indicator Shapes in 1970 Wagon Front Bumpers

Here is what I do know. I have had three Chevelle Sta. Wgns. A 70 & two 71s. the 70 wagons had the square parking lights. Here is one fact that I do know. In 1970 the bumper with the round parking lights was designed for TWO units that Chevrolet Div. built.
The 70 Monte Carlo used the round parking lights with a clear lens and a chrome bullet in the center. The 1970 El Camino also used the same bumper with the round opening for parking lights, Along with the Amber lens. The round parking light Assmb. is the same Monte & Camino, JUST the lens is different. At one time I installed a pair of Monte lens in my El Camino (back in the 70s).
Also back in the 70s I stuck the Monte woodgrain over the SS dash and installed some Monte DOOR PULL straps. SOoooooo With the Monte parking lights and the Monte stuff in the interior. My El Camino was causing a bit of a stirrrrrr with different folks. YEP, It was fun. I said " This is how it came".
The square light question: I believe it is kinda sorta the owners choice to be different. If you look at the picture of my FAKE 70 SS 454 Wgn. It has the Camino bumper , With the round lens, WHY? Because I had one.
Bob
LeoP likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 1:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Thanks for the input. I suppose the front bumper could have been swapped out, but I'm not sure. My Greenbrier appears to have the clear lenses with the bullet like the Monte Carlo, and it's a look I never would have thought about. So, while there is only one response, is the thought that this did not come this way, but was done after the fact?

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Only Elcos and Monte's had the round parking lights. Your bumper has been replaced at some time.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 1:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO52 View Post
Only Elcos and Monte's had the round parking lights. Your bumper has been replaced at some time.
I only ask because I have seen a few pictures of 1970’s wagons and it *appears* that ones that have the MC type front bumper all have either the 6 cyl or 307 in it so I was wondering if there was a correlation.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 7:24 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Generally speaking the Monte Carlo was an upgraded Malibu. It doesn’t stand to reason the they would but that bumper and those lights on any lower tier model. It’s always been acknowledged that those round lights only came on El Camino and Monte Carlo. I can’t even subscribe to the old argument that they put whatever they had on it. That said, I love to hear new information in support of those anomalies.

The biggest problem facing America today is that lies are so widely accepted as truths.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

The only information I can add to this is that the car seemed to be completely stock.

Build Threads:

1969 6.0 Firebird (sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in