Team Chevelle banner

My 66 Wagon beater

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  gearheads78 
#1 ·
I have a small thread going on in the builds section. After someone stopped driving it in 1992 I've been bringing back from the dead the last 3 weeks.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I would not kick any 55-early 70's GM wagon out of my garage. Well, OK, that 1956 Chevy grill is not really to my liking but I'd keep any other wagon.

Nice wagon!! But it needs an LS . . . just sayin'!!! And twin turbos, plus nitrous, methanol and water injection. Not!!!

Rick

#9 ·
Made a few steps on the exhaust this week. Got the headers mocked up without too much beating. Have to flip one frame motor mount bolt around to clear on the driver side.
The factory alternator/power steering bracket was made on to the factory exhaust so had to address that. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on nice custom stuff but also didnt want to use a cheesy universal bracket.
I decided to use the original manifold to make a template for my own bracket. I started getting ready to attach the exhaust system I robbed from my 66 Cutlass to the new headers. Used a piece of U-bend cut down cut at just the right angle and welded to the collector.
I did run I small issue I didn't think about. the Cutlass exhaust runs right up against the frame in the rear. Would work fine on the driver side but spare tire well is in the way on the other side. Just a little more work to redesign behind the axle.

Attachments

Reactions: LeoP
#10 ·
I love it. I do love an LS conversion, but I don't know that they are completely necessary. I do however like adding EFI to an original motor. Did it to my dad's '65 Mustang, and it runs like a dream.

#11 ·
I may do something else in the future but for now just want to be able to drive it and next to nothing out of pocket. Just using stuff I have laying around (Or in the case of the Cutlass hanging on another car LOL) Its getting a 455 so the 2.25" exhaust is going to be a little small in the future but perfect for a 327 with the same chassis in a Chevelle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.