• 4 Post By busterwivell
  • 1 Post By Steve R
  • 1 Post By oldcutlass
  • 2 Post By busterwivell
  • 4 Post By yanniziomas

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

4 door no post cars and 4 door values?

Hey guys, I use to lurk quite a bit years ago (use to be AllGoNoShow but I can't seem to remember that password) and after taking a while stepping away from the hobby to start a family I am finally back and looking to get a Chevelle (finally got my 2nd gen Camaro running after it sat in my garage for 10 years collecting dust).

I really like the look of the 4 door chevelles (the 64s-67s) and the prospect of having a little extra room to throw my kids in the back is very appealing. I've also seen a couple online that people have turned into respectable autocross cars. I've come across a couple for sale locally (upstate NY) and one is a "no -post" 4 door 67 Malibu, which frankly I didn't even know they even made until I saw pictures (the rear doors are suicide doors). Anyone know how rare the "no-post" 4 doors are and if they are even desirable at all? Just looking at it I imagine there are problems with windows sealing and I am a little concerned about flexing of the body/roof as well as what would appear to be not a lot of support in case of a side impact crash (as I am going to be putting my kids in it).

One 67 4-door I came across (which did not appear to end up selling) was solid (but very worn) with an inline 6 and powerglide (it had the posts) that the guy wanted 6500 (he started at 8K), which seemed a couple grand high in my opinion. The no-post car I've come across is also a 67 and is a whole different beast-restoration 15 years ago (new paint, good interior, 700r4, suspensions upgrades, 383 SBC, Moser 12 Bolt), but he is asking 30K!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 12:07 PM

Re: 4 door no post cars and 4 door values?

Now days
All old cars are worth something

30 years ago nobody wanted
4 door
Wagons
Firebirds
Vegas
Elcaminos
And the list goes on and on

Now that there are no
Ss chevelles
Novas
Camaros

People settle for what they can find

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 12:13 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Your right in the fact of “settling for” why would anyone put good money into something that has no, and will never have any resale value. Not to mention the ugly factor.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 1:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Four doors do make sense for some, but they donít have much of a following and their prices reflect that. If you care at all about resale value, donít buy a project, you will be upside down quickly. Really nice 4 doors are out there and generally can be bought for reasonable prices. The one you mention for $30,000 will likely be for sale until the end of times, it wonít matter how much he invested, the market just doesnít value them. Have you considered a wagon, they have a stronger following though it is reflected in their price.

Steve R
busterwivell likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 2:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Suicide doors on a 67? Not from the factory. I agree with Steve, and that's what my daughter and son-in-law have done.........they bought a 67 Malibu wagon. Four doors, seats 6 (if need be), plenty of room for football equipment, or luggage, or.......whatever. That car will have a better resale value than a 4 door hardtop or sedan, and it looks cool with ralley wheels and lowered, with a nasty exhaust.
Steve R, davewho1, augy and 1 others like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 9:46 PM Thread Starter

So I was wrong on the suicide doors (I figured if there was no B pillar they would have to bve suicide doors but I guess there is like half a B-pillar that they connect too).

So lets for instance, say at 30K the car is priced right for a 2-door 67 chevelle (aftermarket suspension, 425hp+ 383 SBC, 700r4, restored stock interior, new paint, wildwood 4 door brakes, moser 12 bolt, etc), what do you think the same identiical car is worth as a 4 door? I've seen a video/pictures of the car and, as a camaro guy with a much better handle on what those go for, I would say if it were an early 2nd gen camaro it would be worth 30K to the right buyer in the same condition with the same upgrades.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShowZ28 View Post
So I was wrong on the suicide doors (I figured if there was no B pillar they would have to bve suicide doors but I guess there is like half a B-pillar that they connect too).

So lets for instance, say at 30K the car is priced right for a 2-door 67 chevelle (aftermarket suspension, 425hp+ 383 SBC, 700r4, restored stock interior, new paint, wildwood 4 door brakes, moser 12 bolt, etc), what do you think the same identiical car is worth as a 4 door? I've seen a video/pictures of the car and, as a camaro guy with a much better handle on what those go for, I would say if it were an early 2nd gen camaro it would be worth 30K to the right buyer in the same condition with the same upgrades.
Iíd say at best, 1/2 of a 2 door hardtop and thatís only if the car is done to a high standard. With any car, at a certain point additional modifications donít add extra value, they just make it a little easier to sell.

Steve R
oldcutlass likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; Dec 7th, 19 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Z
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Iíd say at best, 1/2 of a 2 door hardtop and thatís only if the car is done to a high standard. With any car, at a certain point additional modifications donít add extra value, they just make it a little easier to sell.

Steve R
X2, while more doors deserve love and affection, they just don't command a price to go with it.
LeoP likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 4:04 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

If you find a cream puff of a 4-door that is solid & original, it is worth it to spend more than average. Fixing a lesser car will cost many times more.

Or, you could find a beater and make it fast as hell. Just like Calculated Risk did with his. Check out the video at the start: https://youtu.be/-3fnVLHXu5c?t=2h37m40s

I grabbed the link from https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...dward-ave.html

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 9:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

If you go with a 4 door please realize that there's not a ton of aftermarket support like there is for 2 doors. There's a lot that is not reproduced so you have to find nos / junkyard / ebay / etc for trim and other items. It costs just as much to build a 4 door as a 2 door. I didn't realize there were as many differences between a coupe and a sedan until I started putting mine back together. Even the rear window is different.. I was thinking there wasn't a lot of love for the more doors so I'd get off cheaper. Nope. I purchased mine as a stripped basket case with a running 80s 305, powerglide, 3.08 rear, no interior, and trunk FULL of parts for $2700.

Older generations have put a premium on the 2 doors, to some they're unobtainable even in rough shape. I understand the cool factor of it, but a old car is an old car. Younger generations don't have that same stigma about the extra doors. A lot of 4 doors have been scrapped to serve as front sheet metal for 2 doors, so they're becoming rare themselves.

I have kids as well and drive my chevelle a lot. It's nice having the extra doors, I can scare more people at a time.

Good luck with your search / purchase!

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

Older generations have put a premium on the 2 doors...

Good luck with your search / purchase!
We were the younger generation at the time.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Jeff, I remember being young(er), and 2 doors were tough for me to afford, also. Four doors aren't bad...........yours is a classic example of 4 door cool...............but, unfortunately, they don't have the same, or near value when the time comes to sell. I get raising a family, and the priority over a 2 door, and it's fine to have fun with a 4 door. You are, and I've followed your thread since you started it. I'd just hate to see someone get way in on 4 door and then realize how under water they are. I'm not sure we make any money on 2 doors either. The whole idea should be to have fun.
I have friends who golf 2-3 times a week, and at the end of the season all they have is a used set of clubs and score cards they lied on.
Steve R and Hotwire like this.

66 Malibu

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 1:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Talking Re: 4 door no post cars and 4 door values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
We were the younger generation at the time.
GREAT point Eric!! Don't think to look at it from that aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
Jeff, I remember being young(er), and 2 doors were tough for me to afford, also. Four doors aren't bad...........yours is a classic example of 4 door cool...............but, unfortunately, they don't have the same, or near value when the time comes to sell. I get raising a family, and the priority over a 2 door, and it's fine to have fun with a 4 door. You are, and I've followed your thread since you started it. I'd just hate to see someone get way in on 4 door and then realize how under water they are. I'm not sure we make any money on 2 doors either. The whole idea should be to have fun.
I have friends who golf 2-3 times a week, and at the end of the season all they have is a used set of clubs and score cards they lied on.
Lol, thanks Bill and AMEN! Was always taught to make the best with what you got. I am getting my money's worth and love the damn car more than I should. You, as well, are a voice of reason. These are vehicles AND hobbies which are bad combos. You have to be financially retarded to start in on a basket case car and see it through to completion. I'll gladly raise my hand on that one. Also, thank you for hanging in there through the build, wasn't sure if anyone made it through.

OP, as you can see, there's a vast amount of wisdom to be given on this site, I love it!! If you're looking for an investment, 4 doors are not the way at this point in time. If you're looking to just enjoy an old car no matter color, options, doors, etc. Good luck and have a great time!! When I found mine I literally just used www.searchtempest.com, set the filter for min $500, max $5000, 1930-1980, set it up to search 150 miles outside my zip code, then just started scrolling to see what was available. Came across a lot of junk, but was able to start weeding out to possible projects. (not affiliated with site, just a useful search engine for craigslist *not affiliated with craigslist either*)

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 19, 1:36 AM
Tech Team

I’ve had them all, I LOVE my 4-door ‘66.

All suspension, steering, brakes, interior, exhaust, etc upgrades were done the last 2 years. This year 283, PG, 10 bolt are going for 383, OD, 9”.

Don’t care what it costs or what’s worth when it’s done, car is great, put a lot of miles on it and make lots of memories with it, not going anywhere, staying with me for a while 👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EF3B74E-2A05-4329-883F-85746D09BB25_1577165695744.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	611440   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE6EFCBB-4AC4-4392-8D2F-C8A28F4A9D3B_1577165793510.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	611442  
LeoP, davewho1, 12stones and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in