• 2 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By 72 Greenbrier

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 6:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Wagon shock recomendations...

Suspension experts, step on in...

Looking for recomendations on rear shock options for my wagon. 1972 Greenbrier.

I know some of you guys have done extensive research and have tested a few different options on these wagons.

Not ready to go coil over yet...just looking for the best "stock" replacement.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

(Also, tell what you didn't like that you've tried.)

"LS swap without breaking the bank"

"Project Greenbrier" build thread...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 9:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Wagon shock recomendations...

I have gas on the front. On the back , I bought some brand name air shocks. My wagon is a driver---- WHY air shocks? Way back in the 70s when I raced on the streets with my 70 LS-5/M-22 El Camino, I ran two lines and two air valves so I could pre load one side a bit.
Looked odd at times but it came out of the " HOLE " just fine. It worked in the 70s so I did it again when I put this wagon together.
Also,,,,,,,,, If you get that PITA leaning to one side look on the rear, A couple Lbs. in the low side will take care of it, GEE,, LOOK the rear is just perfect and LEVEL ! It aint Coilovers but it has worked wonderful on mine fo 39.000 miles.
Bob
P.S. FAR from an expert. But its low cost and it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

I think Philip did some shock and rear spring experiments, check with him or his thread and good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Hey Bob, I run air bags inside my springs now for sway and stability, I too have them plumbed separately for side to side adjustment. Maybe not a bad idea to add air shocks also...

Hey Leo, I searched Phillips thread earlier today, but didn't have a lot of time to spend on it. Maybe he'll jump in here and comment.
Daryl Lane likes this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Garage

I'm using Monroe Sense a Trac shocks and NAPA springs part number 277-5165. Gives the stance and ride I want. Built to be a cruiser not a race car. The springs are progressive, I can load 4 people and luggage with little change in ride height or ride quality.
71350SS and LeoP like this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 7:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Bilstine shocks all the way around. Night and day difference over the air shocks they replaced..

For suspension and I researched this for many years;

-SC&C Stage 3 control arms with .5 & .9 tall Howe ball joints and Delrin bushings. SC&C seem to be the only company that offer the superior Howe ball joint..

-Spohn adjustable Del Sphere rear control arms with there heavy duty Del Sphere Delrin bushing.

-Lee 14:1 steering box with 30 lb valve.. Its fast power steering with the road feel and fast positive steering wheel return of a manual box..

Hope this helps... I love the fact that I chose a suspension company that the owner answers the phone and is an engineer instead of a salesman with a pocket full of suckers and balloons...
BillsCamino and LeoP like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Hope this helps... I love the fact that I chose a suspension company that the owner answers the phone and is an engineer instead of a salesman with a pocket full of suckers and balloons...

It does...I was researching the company you mentioned, and I thought I recognized the name. I have his book on suspension. I completely forgot I had it. Dug it out and reread some of it tonight. Thanks.
hydro462 likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:57 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Personal like Bilstein shocks run them on my truck, my track car and my broken DD BMW.

BUT if your chevelle / wagon is lowered I would not run the Bilstiens, they are great shocks designed for stock ride weight springs. Which means not enough compression and they are too long for lowered cars.

My 65 wagon is lowered in the front 2 inches so I went with Hotchkis front shocks mad by Fox shocks. Still working on the rear.

I have always liked to run lowering springs in the rear with air bags filled separately and a good performance road shock. I enjoy going around corners.

Wagons are a way of life.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 10:02 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Bilstine shocks all the way around. Night and day difference over the air shocks they replaced..

-Lee 14:1 steering box with 30 lb valve.. Its fast power steering with the road feel and fast positive steering wheel return of a manual box...
I bought a rebuilt Grand Cherokee power steering box with a 12:1 ratio like it so far - do not remember where I got it. but they have had all the parts for the swap.

short video a found.

Wagons are a way of life.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 10:45 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I put Bilstein shocks on both my stock height '66 and '70 wagons.
Ride and handling were excellent. The '66 also had a JGC box.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 11:11 AM
Team Member
George

Mine has air shocks on the back and some heavy duty cargo springs that sat too high in my 71 chevelle. It sits about right, but the ride is too bouncy. Want to swap the rear springs to what Phillip is using. May try running individual lines to the air shocks too....

Front shocks are some cheap gas shocks...have some monroe sensa tracs to try at some point. They were on the 71 for a awhile and worked ok.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 2:50 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Quote:

For suspension and I researched this for many years;

-SC&C Stage 3 control arms with .5 & .9 tall Howe ball joints and Delrin bushings. SC&C seem to be the only company that offer the superior Howe ball joint..

-Spohn adjustable Del Sphere rear control arms with there heavy duty Del Sphere Delrin bushing.

-Lee 14:1 steering box with 30 lb valve.. Its fast power steering with the road feel and fast positive steering wheel return of a manual box..

Have similar set up on my 67, swapped the Bielsteins for a set of double adj. Vikings...World of difference. Also run rear bags plumbed separate and 17" wheels
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I haven't forgot about all the advice everyone has given me, just waiting to get a little more flush with the cash before I decide on which route to take.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in