Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By lkmarsh

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Lyle

Tail gate regulator spring replacement.

Been reworking the tailgate regulator, had to take the tailgate apart from the inside when the
window would not move. Got everything cleaned up and loose, all wiring cleaned up.
Clockspring seems really weak, window drops fast but crawls up.
Spring can be removed by hand. Is there a replacement? Bought a Blazer spring,
won't fit. Is this a common problem? Any ideas are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 10:42 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage
Re: Tail gate regulator spring replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmarsh View Post
Been reworking the tailgate regulator, had to take the tailgate apart from the inside when the
window would not move. Got everything cleaned up and loose, all wiring cleaned up.
Clockspring seems really weak, window drops fast but crawls up.
Spring can be removed by hand. Is there a replacement? Bought a Blazer spring,
won't fit. Is this a common problem? Any ideas are welcome.
I have the same problem.

Question for you - what have you done with the wiring back there? I ask because the motor grounds through the tail gate frame and the hinges. My 65 was getting rusty so I added a ground wire from a motor mounting screw out with the power loom and screwed it to the frame. Helped mine a lot.

Back in 95 or so I took my tail gate/window out and apart. Pulled the motor off the assembly and the spring sprang! I rewound it and I think I did it too tight as the window sticks out of the tail gate about an inch and will not go in any more even with pushing on it.

I also put relays in the tail gate with a fused hot wire running from fuse box to tail gate. So the power to run the motor dose not go through either of the switches but the relays in the tail gate.

After all this the window still goes up slow - it is better but slow and labored. I think I need a new motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	597376  

Wagons are a way of life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

I also put in a new American Autowire wiring harness, it did not have tail gate power window wiring so I added the wiring for that while running the rear harness.

Yellow and blue wires at bottom.

The fused power wire runs down the passenger side to the back and joins these wires at the right rear tire well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear wiring 7.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	597378  

Wagons are a way of life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Lyle

I converted to electric windows when I bought the car, using factory wiring and parts from a 69. Cleaning off the rust made the biggest improvement. Added a factory reversing relay commonly used for door locks that initially did not work. Turns out the three-wire motors wont tolerate having either drive terminal grounded, which the relay does by default. Two-wire motors require default grounding, and I'll swap one in to see if the motor is the problem. Used shrink tube inside the relay to prevent grounding. Diodes on the drive wires would work too. Had the ground problem, tossed the safety switch, and I will also run a ground wire through the loom into the cab. I have never been able to wind any window spring by hand, so I think it's ready to break. The Blazer spring I bought wants a thinner capstan, so it won't fit the wagon. Yet. Friday I will look at the Impala's regulator to see if they match, got a line on one of those. I used the factory wiring to trigger the relay, and new wires from the relay to the motor, and spliced the hot wire to the relay hot, so no real current flows through either switch. Works, but too slow rising and too fast dropping.
Daryl Lane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in