'72 Greenbrier Wagon Project - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 18, 3:54 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Re: '72 Greenbrier Wagon Project

My brother in law sandblasted and checked out the stock upper and lower arms. They looked ok. Decided to try the Global West delrin bushings, offset cross shafts and taller upper balljoints. Had to do a bit of straightening to the lowers, waiting to get those back.

Uppers turned out pretty nice, hope to get the front end back together soon. Also picking up a JGC steering box this weekend. Then on the the rear arms.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11949958-5421-4117-A187-EDDA7EFC858F.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	547593  
Philip likes this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Got the arms on this afternoon. Had to trim alittle on the driver front bushing to get it to go in. All the others went in without too much fight. Next free afternoon should have the front back together.

Never tried these bushings before, arms move pretty freely.

Now to decide on what to do with the springs. Cut a coil off the pass side? Put the taller spring in drivers side? Put it together and just run it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2D751EC7-6FEC-4090-8CE7-5860F16D5A80.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	551497   Click image for larger version

Name:	B09E2D6F-699A-4178-B8F3-34FDF8F9FC3F.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	551505  

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 7:30 PM
Administrator

Garage

George thought I would share my latest results from my spring issues since you are to that point now with your car. I am still using the same springs with the spacer on the drivers side front as my last post but have added the 1 inch rear spacer to the top of the drivers side spring. It leveled the car out and has seemed to be the last piece needed to get the suspension working well. I need to realign the front end or at least check it since the car has come up a little in ride height just from adding the rear spring spacer. Also noticed it trying to follow the irregularities in the road this past weekend while cruising on the old Route 66 highway in northern Arizona. It was fine on the freeway but not the back roads. I will try increasing the toe in a little to see if that helps. This last trip was over 900 miles and gave the suspension a good workout with the varied road surfaces and conditions we encountered.
LeoP likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
George thought I would share my latest results from my spring issues since you are to that point now with your car. I am still using the same springs with the spacer on the drivers side front as my last post but have added the 1 inch rear spacer to the top of the drivers side spring. It leveled the car out and has seemed to be the last piece needed to get the suspension working well. I need to realign the front end or at least check it since the car has come up a little in ride height just from adding the rear spring spacer. Also noticed it trying to follow the irregularities in the road this past weekend while cruising on the old Route 66 highway in northern Arizona. It was fine on the freeway but not the back roads. I will try increasing the toe in a little to see if that helps. This last trip was over 900 miles and gave the suspension a good workout with the varied road surfaces and conditions we encountered.
Interesting you put the spacer on the top of the rear spring. I've been using it sitting on top of the rear then the spring on top of it. I will try it again your way to see if there is any difference.

Will have to go thru my notes, but I think mine was 1 1/2 inches different from pass to drivers side. WhenI measured the front springs it seems one Was alittle taller than the other. The previous owner installed all new springs, not sure if they were indexed correctly, or possibly one not sitting in the frame pocket. I tried to see before I removed them, but was unable. He only drove the car 100 or so miles when he had it.

Right now I'm leaning towards making sure the springs are both the same height and installing them indexed correctly and see how it is.

How long does it take for the springs to settle?

900 mile journey sounds like fun. Looking forward to some cruising in this one. Do you still think your front ride height is too low?

As for the rear, I picked up the parts to box the lowers and rubber bushings for upper and lowers. Figure I will try it that way first and see if it would benefit from the better tubular UMI like is on the 71. Also have the poly body mount bushings waiting, but may wait till winter to do those. Kinda want to do some driving it!

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Garage

I do not think the rear spring spacer matters if on the top or the bottom of the spring. The front one either, I put the front one on the bottom and the rear one on the top because it was easier that way.
A 3/4" spacer is what was used to change the height about 1 1/4" on the front. It wasn't until the rear spacer was added and it raised the front about another 1/4" that the car leveled out. Springs will usually settle out in the first 100 to 200 miles depending on the type of roads traveled. it will vary with the spring.

The trip was a blast, rolling hills, windy roads, mountain passes, freeway, lots of small towns and Oatman AZ. An old mining town where there are more wild burros than residents I figured the mileage wrong it was only 817 miles. Now have 5000 miles on the car.

There were 100's of cars if not more. I did not get a total count from the event staff, but there are also many that do not register, just join in the cruise.

63 Nova wagon

post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 4:00 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Quote:
I do not think the rear spring spacer matters if on the top or the bottom of the spring. The front one either, I put the front one on the bottom and the rear one on the top because it was easier that way.
A 3/4" spacer is what was used to change the height about 1 1/4" on the front. It wasn't until the rear spacer was added and it raised the front about another 1/4" that the car leveled out. Springs will usually settle out in the first 100 to 200 miles depending on the type of roads traveled. it will vary with the spring.

The trip was a blast, rolling hills, windy roads, mountain passes, freeway, lots of small towns and Oatman AZ. An old mining town where there are more wild burros than residents I figured the mileage wrong it was only 817 miles. Now have 5000 miles on the car.

There were 100's of cars if not more. I did not get a total count from the event staff, but there are also many that do not register, just join in the cruise.
Ok I didnt think the spacer placement would affect anything, but ya never know.

Do you think its worth the effort to track down the original a/c stuff? Someone tried to switch it over to just the heater. So right now it still has the ac dash/ controls and vents. But under the hood is the non ac / heater hardware with the airbox and its controls jammed up under the dash. I was thinking of just removing all that non ac stuff and getting an aftermarket kit.

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 shot-11.8[email protected]
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 5:51 PM
Administrator

Garage

Using the original AC is a personal call. I did because most of it was there already. I also converted it to CCOT system but that isn't really necessary. If you have to start buying original pieces and then refurbishing the parts it can get expensive. An aftermarket kit gives a cleaner look under the hood and does not take up any more space under the dash than a factory set up.
Wagons are huge inside and cooling them could be an issue with a small aftermarket unit. I think the large Gen IV Vintage Air unit would up to the task of keeping the front 2 rows of seats comfortable, but maybe not a third row. Also keep in mind that nearly all aftermarket AC units do not have outside air flow capabilities. On long trips especially in humid climates the evaporator can freeze up. On a Vintage Air unit the control head allows for the compressor to be switched off while the fan is operating. This makes it possible to shut off the compressor and allow the evaporator to thaw while still providing cold air. You will notice a decrease in airflow as the evaporator starts to ice over, and that is the time to shut off the compressor. If the compressor continues to run it will freeze the evaporator until air flow stops and it will take quite a while for it to thaw leaving you without AC until it does..

63 Nova wagon

post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 6:10 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Quote:
Using the original AC is a personal call. I did because most of it was there already. I also converted it to CCOT system but that isn't really necessary. If you have to start buying original pieces and then refurbishing the parts it can get expensive. An aftermarket kit gives a cleaner look under the hood and does not take up any more space under the dash than a factory set up.
Wagons are huge inside and cooling them could be an issue with a small aftermarket unit. I think the large Gen IV Vintage Air unit would up to the task of keeping the front 2 rows of seats comfortable, but maybe not a third row. Also keep in mind that nearly all aftermarket AC units do not have outside air flow capabilities. On long trips especially in humid climates the evaporator can freeze up. On a Vintage Air unit the control head allows for the compressor to be switched off while the fan is operating. This makes it possible to shut off the compressor and allow the evaporator to thaw while still providing cold air. You will notice a decrease in airflow as the evaporator starts to ice over, and that is the time to shut off the compressor. If the compressor continues to run it will freeze the evaporator until air flow stops and it will take quite a while for it to thaw leaving you without AC until it does..
Thats good info to know. I didnt know about the units freezing up. In Ohio it gets really humid in the summers!! Not looking forward to that part.

I've seen the firewall delete plates. Thinking ahead, should I remove the heater core/ box and controls and get a delete plate installed beforehand? That way I wouldn't need to remove the inner fenderwell again. Or maybe it still needs to come out while installing the vintage air unit...

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 6:15 PM
Administrator

Garage

The units will freeze up in dry climates too, it just takes longer for it to happen.

The aftermarket units come with delete plates to fit the car. If they are plastic I would recommend metal replacements are made. In case of a fire in the engine compartment plastic will allow it to spread into the passenger area.
71350SS, LeoP and Geo71 like this.

63 Nova wagon

post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
I agree with everything Philip said, and to add to the story..........back in the 90's, I built a 56 Studebaker President wagon. I installed Vintage Air. They were the only ones who said they could cool a wagon. We were on our way to a car show in Laughlin, NV. We were driving thru Bullhead City, AZ. Sign at the bank said it was 115 degrees. My wife cracked open her window. I asked what she was doing? She said she was freezing and wanted to warm up a little. Yes, Vintage Air will work in a wagon.
Geo71 likes this.

66 Malibu

post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Didnt have much time yesterday, but got alittle done. Got the front springs in and spindles / rotors on.

Did some measuring before installing. With the front on jackstands the rear is 1/2” higher on pass side. The front was 1/8” higher on pass side. Measured the springs one was 1/8” taller. I put that one in the drivers side. They are for sure indexed the same and seated in the frame pockets. Tried to measure from the wheel hub the fenderwell. Hard to tell but seems pretty close, side to side.

See what happens when it all gets back together and on the ground.
LeoP likes this.

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 9:34 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Got the drivers side back together this afternoon. Just have to grease up the bushings and torque them.

All but one of the inner fender bolts lined up and had to modify one of them. Other than that it went in pretty easy.

Looking at the firewall, someone had removed the a/c box and made a metal plate to cover up the hole. Then installed the non a/c heater box...gonna have to think on this part. I suppose a heater delete plate would work?

Hope the ride height is evened out after this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02D858E9-3A18-4AA3-AE17-DA20E0B40295.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	555433  

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Garage

Measuring on jack stands is not accurate.

63 Nova wagon

post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 18, 12:58 PM
mjc
mike

i have been reading all this since I just picked up a 72 Nomad. Have any of you looked at the springs Speedway Motors sells for stock cars? they have lots a different spring rates.
post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
George

Quote:
Measuring on jack stands is not accurate.
The rear measurement was exactly the same either on jackstands or all four on the ground.

Got the pass side together today and dropped the front back on the ground.

The rear is still the same with a 1/2” diff from side to side.

The front is now 27” on the drivers front and 28” on the pass. The front end is still very spongy and soft.

The front tires being 225/70/[email protected] 27.4” tall, is that a good size tire for the front?

Installed the pass inner fender. It went in pretty easy. A few bolt holes are way off, so not gonna worry about those. Need to open up the bottom rear hole some. Just like the drivers side.

If I feel motivated tomorrow, I may take those springs out and do some cutting. Or might try the 1” drop hotchkiss sb springs I have....will see...

I ended up putting the blower motor in after all. Going to take a bit of wiring to make it happy.

Looking at the heater box controls, its different than my 71. My 71 has the three horizontal sliders and a separate fan control. The one in the wagon only has three sliders....wonder what it is out of?

'71 Malibu

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in