Time to install the exhaust system. When I bought this El Camino in 1983 it had a set of noname headers and Cherrybomb glasspaks with no tailpipes. Every bit of original exhaust hardware had been removed. Within a few years I had found several sets of factory exhaust manifolds and kept the set in the best condition even though the date codes were after the vehicle build date. Glad I bought them then. In 2003, I bought an exhaust system from The Parts Place, made specifically for a 1966 BB El Camino. The system came with the head pipes, mufflers, tailpipes, and clamps. More recently I bought reproduction mounts for behind the mufflers. And I realized that I didn't have tailpipe brackets.
I found a NOS bracket for the driver side, and found a used bracket for the same side on a 1964 El Camino frame. I couldn't find a bracket for the passenger side. I did find some similar reproduction brackets for a later application that I thought might be usable. I ended up using one of there reproductions, and modified it using parts of the 1964 bracket. It turned OK and I have used it in this installation. This photo shows the NOS driver side on the top, the modified unit for the passenger side below it, and one of the reproduction brackets. The left over corded rubber is at the bottom. I found reproduction bolts at Heartbeat City, they are used on 1969 Camaros for part of the sifter backdrive mechanism, as I recall. I had an original bolt and retainer from the original 64 bracket, that I used with the NOS bracket. The clamps are available as reproductions. The brackets are used on 64 to 69 El Caminos and wagons, only. The only reproductions I could find are made by Gardner Exhaust Systems, but they only sell complete systems; won't sell individual components.
The pipes are manually formed, and not perfect. I had to make some adjustments. The fronts of the mufflers were too high, so I cut the head pipes (half-way through) just in front of the mufflers and tack welded in the proper position. I also tack welded the mufflers in postion and then removed them for final welding. The welded joints were then coated with aluminum colored paint since these are aluminized steel pipes. I am not using clamps at the front of the mufflers, because the factory never used them and I don't like the looks of them. The factory installed one piece head pipes and mufflers. I still have obvious weld joints, but looks much better than clamps and won't get loose.
My goal was to have the mufflers as level as possible but below the level of the frame, to make sure I had clearance to the body.
The tailpipes were more work. I ended up with 3 cuts in the passenger side and I cut the driver side in 2 places.
I also cut the outlets of the pipes and painted the ends of the pipes per the assembly manual.
The assembly manual shows that El Caminos and wagons use the same tailpipes (part numbers). It was brought to my attention that the left and right are not symetrical because of the tirewell used in the wagon. I used symetrical tailpipes.
El Camino and wagon tailpipes differ from the tailpipes used in other Chevelles, because they don't have as much clearance above the rear axle. The load floor restricts the space available, so wagons and ECs have flattened pipes in this area, whereas the other Chevelles have a full curve at the top over the rear axles.