1966 BB El Camino - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 1:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Re: 1966 BB El Camino

Personal checks only, no Paypal. That slows things down waiting for the check to arrive and clear. Need to be patient. Packaged well and shipped FedEx. No problem. $350 for both brackets or $180 for just the lower. Pricey, but they do work well. Obviously they were constructed differently from the later truck brackets. The truck brackets appeared to be stamped parts. The repro upper looked to be a single piece that was folded and welded. The lower bracket looks like three pieces welded together. Very well done. I don't know how original 66 brackets were made.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 2:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamino View Post
Personal checks only, no Paypal. That slows things down waiting for the check to arrive and clear. Need to be patient. Packaged well and shipped FedEx. No problem. $350 for both brackets or $180 for just the lower. Pricey, but they do work well. Obviously they were constructed differently from the later truck brackets. The truck brackets appeared to be stamped parts. The repro upper looked to be a single piece that was folded and welded. The lower bracket looks like three pieces welded together. Very well done. I don't know how original 66 brackets were made.
Thanks,

After I posted, I did go look at the Goat Hill store on Ebay...

I'll have to think about that. I am really thinking about power steering, but between the brackets, the pump canister, remote reservoir, the "new" box, new pitman arm, crank pulley, etc... its really getting pricey... I never intended on a full "correct" resto, so debating whether I should struggle with the "cheaper" stuff (and make it work as most people probably do), or pull out all the stops... On my SS, I'd need the special cast iron PS pulley too (to mate up with the other deep groove pulleys). That car, I'd want to spend the extra money...

For now, I'll watch Bruce's stuff go together and just dream about mine...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 17, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Time to install the exhaust system. When I bought this El Camino in 1983 it had a set of noname headers and Cherrybomb glasspaks with no tailpipes. Every bit of original exhaust hardware had been removed. Within a few years I had found several sets of factory exhaust manifolds and kept the set in the best condition even though the date codes were after the vehicle build date. Glad I bought them then. In 2003, I bought an exhaust system from The Parts Place, made specifically for a 1966 BB El Camino. The system came with the head pipes, mufflers, tailpipes, and clamps. More recently I bought reproduction mounts for behind the mufflers. And I realized that I didn't have tailpipe brackets.

I found a NOS bracket for the driver side, and found a used bracket for the same side on a 1964 El Camino frame. I couldn't find a bracket for the passenger side. I did find some similar reproduction brackets for a later application that I thought might be usable. I ended up using one of there reproductions, and modified it using parts of the 1964 bracket. It turned OK and I have used it in this installation. This photo shows the NOS driver side on the top, the modified unit for the passenger side below it, and one of the reproduction brackets. The left over corded rubber is at the bottom. I found reproduction bolts at Heartbeat City, they are used on 1969 Camaros for part of the sifter backdrive mechanism, as I recall. I had an original bolt and retainer from the original 64 bracket, that I used with the NOS bracket. The clamps are available as reproductions. The brackets are used on 64 to 69 El Caminos and wagons, only. The only reproductions I could find are made by Gardner Exhaust Systems, but they only sell complete systems; won't sell individual components.

The pipes are manually formed, and not perfect. I had to make some adjustments. The fronts of the mufflers were too high, so I cut the head pipes (half-way through) just in front of the mufflers and tack welded in the proper position. I also tack welded the mufflers in postion and then removed them for final welding. The welded joints were then coated with aluminum colored paint since these are aluminized steel pipes. I am not using clamps at the front of the mufflers, because the factory never used them and I don't like the looks of them. The factory installed one piece head pipes and mufflers. I still have obvious weld joints, but looks much better than clamps and won't get loose.

My goal was to have the mufflers as level as possible but below the level of the frame, to make sure I had clearance to the body.

The tailpipes were more work. I ended up with 3 cuts in the passenger side and I cut the driver side in 2 places.

I also cut the outlets of the pipes and painted the ends of the pipes per the assembly manual.

The assembly manual shows that El Caminos and wagons use the same tailpipes (part numbers). It was brought to my attention that the left and right are not symetrical because of the tirewell used in the wagon. I used symetrical tailpipes.

El Camino and wagon tailpipes differ from the tailpipes used in other Chevelles, because they don't have as much clearance above the rear axle. The load floor restricts the space available, so wagons and ECs have flattened pipes in this area, whereas the other Chevelles have a full curve at the top over the rear axles.

LeoP likes this.

My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension

post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 17, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Garage

Sure is looking good Bruce, interesting that the tailpipes were painted black after the hanger.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 17, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

The assembly manual indicates that all Chevelles were done like this. In the days before aluminized pipe this may have been done to slow down rust until the dealer sold the vehicle.

I think restorers don't paint them now as personal preference. They look better unpainted, like the exhaust manifolds. I think the black out is good and will not detract from the appearance of the neat quarter mouldings used on my EC.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by AZCamino; Feb 24th, 17 at 10:59 AM.
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Looking good Bruce. I opted for the Gardner system a few years back. The hanger looks just like those on their system. My car was a dec build so it had the tail pipes exiting at the rear; but the same hanger and just like a ohanger I removed from a nov of 65 built 4 dr.

Interesting about the paint. I have my tail pipes removed at the present time, so I will have to paint them. What did you use to paint them?

post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 6:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I used semigloss black but the AIM says chassis black which would probably be glossier and match the frame.
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 17, 8:21 AM
richard

love this thread. sort of in the same boat bought a 66 396 el camino matching numbers 81k car but want to resto mod it.
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 17, 4:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dill 68 View Post
love this thread. sort of in the same boat bought a 66 396 el camino matching numbers 81k car but want to resto mod it.
Richard,
Cool El Camino, I saw the photo of the red EC in your other thread. I would love to hear more about it and see more photos.

My Build Thread:

post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 17, 10:14 PM
richard

396 325 powerglide has steering and brakes. 3.55 posi power windows and tilt 81k miles protecto plate and owners manual in dash. was in the book chevelle by bill holder haven't seen book yet have one ordered. red on red factory colors.
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 17, 10:23 PM
richard

When rain is over I will get better pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170402_160009368_HDR_1491272524186.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	433665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170402_222319185_1491272557262.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	433673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170402_222240227_1491272576441.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	433681  
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Very nice! Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like you have another EC in the garage. What is the story on that one.?

My Build Thread:

post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 9:03 PM
richard

the other one is a 65 all apart I bought it that way was going to do it with ls1 6sp and notch rear frame for wider tires then decided I wanted to do a 66. never dot started bought the 66 I quess I need to sell it and get it out of my way good body very nice inside bed have all the parts.
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old May 17th, 17, 5:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I haven't accomplished much lately on the El Camino. I have been working on other projects. I did install the fuel tank.

I found some old slides from 1984, not too long after I bought the El Camino. I haven't posted any photos of the car yet, so I digitized them. Here are a few photos as I was preparing to repair the floors. The floor was rusty behind the driver seat, and the floor had been cut from installation of a Hurst Super Shifter. The transmission is removed in these photos for access to the tunnel underneath.

Philip, davewho1 and 67since67 like this.

My Build Thread:

post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old May 18th, 17, 1:59 AM
Tech Team
Larry

I noticed the alternator in some of the pics is on the outside of the top bracket , I mounted mine under the top bracket, it all lines up good , which way is right? Obviously my car is not stock but it looks like the brackets and pulleys are original, it used to have aircon and a.i.r ,

Last edited by Cowfarmer; May 18th, 17 at 6:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in