1966 BB El Camino - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 4:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Re: 1966 BB El Camino

I think this hose looks like the 1968 version. I see the remnants of a smallblock reservoir on his pump housing. Looks like the steering setup has been converted. Maybe the hose has been modified also.

His upper alternator bracket isn't installed correctly.

Your photo and this one brings up another question I have, concerning the alternator. What is the proper clocking of the 2 halves of the alternator? I put mine together with the upper mount and the plug on the back at 12 o'clock. Looks like yours and the one in the new photo are both different.
davewho1 likes this.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project

Last edited by AZCamino; Jan 27th, 17 at 7:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 4:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

I've never had my alt apart since I've owned the car, so I don't know. ?

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
I've never had my alt apart since I've owned the car, so I don't know. ?
Jeff Helms' survivor 66 has an alternator clocked at 3, just like yours. That is what I would bet on.
davewho1 likes this.

My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 17, 7:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

The low pressure pipe arrived today, so I got that installed.

I found out that my alternator was clocked incorrectly, so I fixed that today. The correct clocking is at 3:00; that provides more clearance to the valve cover for installing the belt.

My Build Thread:

post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 17, 8:53 PM
JKK
Tech Team
JK

Super nice job you are doing

67 El Camino ZZ 383 > FI-Tech F.I. / 700R4 /12 Bolt Posi 3.73s / P/S P/B A/C
" Rancheros the Other Short Bus"
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 17, 5:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Thanks for the compliment, JKK. I appreciate it.

Here is my update today. I installed the driveshaft after a couple of days cleaning it and removing the surface rust.

Here is what I started with. Identification stripes are very visible and colorful when wet with the Rusteco that I used to remove the surface rust. I found no evidence of a part number stencil, just the three stripes.

Rusteco is an enzyme that dissolves oxides. No acid involved so it doesn't destroy the stripes. I used medium steel wool to help remove the rust, but avoided the stripes. My goal was to make the driveshaft look good, but salvage as much of the original stripes as possible. Rusteco works great on other item where you might want to save seals, paint, or other coatings, as long as they don't contain oxides. I used it on my alternator and PS pulleys that I bought on ebay, to remove the surface rust. It doesn't affect phosphates so I was able to save some of the gray color.

The final step was to spray the driveshaft with Gibbs lubricant and polish it with fine steel wool. Wipe the excess lubricant off and it looks great. I was able to save a significant amount of the original stripes.

LeoP likes this.

My Build Thread:

post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 2:47 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

jeeze Bruce, you're leaving me in the dust. I'd better get busy.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 17, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Tom, I am working on my son's Corvair for a few days. Taking advantage of the good weather to make some progress on the subframe for the C5 rear suspension. That will give you a chance to catch up.

My Build Thread:

post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 17, 6:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Lookin good Bruce! I think I'm the guy you sold that 406 service block to years ago. It's still sitting in the corner beside that yellow 67 Elc!

Dave asked me to chime in on the PS setup. Several tips/observations:

1. The upper bracket you have is the truck bracket which is different from the 67-68 (and 66 AIR) passenger car bracket. The truck bracket has less clearance for a lower alternator bracket. Someone has repopped the correct bracket now, I think you can get it from Ausley or NPD, but make sure you get a picture of it first to make sure it has the additional concave bend in it to clear the alt bracket.

2. If your lower bracket is the truck version, it will be the 68+ version, which is a little bit longer than the 65-67 version and puts the pump a little closer to the inner fender. That's not a big deal, but it does eliminate some of the already very scant clearance that a 66 or 67 BB PS system has. Odds are your pressure hose and/or reservoir hose will lay on the inner fender and you will have a hard (if not impossible) time getting constant clearance there. With that said, one or both of the original hoses on every 65-67 BB I have ever had with factory PS rubbed the inner fender at least a little, and some a lot. So even if you had a 65-67 lower bracket you'd be hard pressed to get full clearance there.

3. The pressure line is clocked outward too much, and should be on the other side of the reservoir hose. The part that comes upward near the pulley should be almost straight up, and as close to the pulley as you can get it while maintaining the minimum clearance shown in the AIM.

4. I suggest mushing everything over as close to the engine as possible until you get the front clip mounted and lined up, as you don't want PS stuff interfering in that process. Once you have the front sheet metal pinned down, then you can dial in the location of the PS lines and hoses.

Good luck!
Philip and davewho1 like this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 17, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Nice work! I love your attention to detail!

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 17, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Jeff, WOW, you addressed all of my concerns with the PS setup. Thank you for the reply. I had hoped that the lower bracket wouldn't be an issue. I want this to look good and work good. I decided to send a check to the guy at Aarchivehunter to get the reproduction brackets that should fit right and look correct on a 66. When I receive them I will post comparison photos of the lower brackets and new photos of the installation.

My Build Thread:

post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 17, 5:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Dave asked me to chime in on the PS setup. Several tips/observations:

1. The upper bracket you have is the truck bracket which is different from the 67-68 (and 66 AIR) passenger car bracket. The truck bracket has less clearance for a lower alternator bracket. Someone has repopped the correct bracket now, I think you can get it from Ausley or NPD, but make sure you get a picture of it first to make sure it has the additional concave bend in it to clear the alt bracket.

2. If your lower bracket is the truck version, it will be the 68+ version, which is a little bit longer than the 65-67 version and puts the pump a little closer to the inner fender.
Anyone have pictures of the correct '66 bracket?

My '66 and '67 are both manual steering cars, and while i thought I'd keep them that way, I now think it may be better to upgrade to powersteering (I am getting older )...

I checked both NPD and Ausleys today (just their websites), and they are both listing the brackets as 1966-1968, nothing mentioned about a 66-only or 66-67 only bracket. NPD even notes for the lower bracket mentioning the factory 1968 lower bracket part number...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 17, 7:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Tony, there were at least 3 upper PS brackets made for 65-68 BB passenger cars and for BB Trucks:

1. For 65, and for 66 non-AIR. It bolts on top of the lower alternator bracket using the same bolt hole that the rearward arm of the alt bracket bolts to. It does not go on a stud on the exhaust manifold.

2. For 66 AIR, and all 67-68's. That's the one that bolts to a stud on the front exhaust manifold hole, and has a deeper indented curve to clear the alt bracket.

3. For 69+ trucks. It also mounts to a stud on the front exhaust manifold hole, but it does not have as much indented curve to clear the 66-68 lower alt bracket.

And there were at least 2 lower PS brackets for those vehicles:

1. For 65-67. It is flat on the end nearest the harmonic balancer, and is shorter than version 2. So it puts the pump closer to the engine.

2. For 68 and all the 68+trucks. It is puffed out with a curve on the end nearest the harmonic balancer, and is longer than version 1. That puts the pump farther away from the engine and closer to the inner fender.

This auction is for repops of the 65-66 upper and the 65-67 lower. They are pretty accurate from what I can see. 1965 Z 16 1966 1967 Chevelle 396 Power Steering Pump Cradle and Adj Brace Set | eBay

davewho1 likes this.
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I bought the reproduction brackets from Goat Hill Classics (ebay seller Aarchivehunter), received them yesterday afternoon, and installed this morning. They fit beautifully and are well made. I will post pictures so you can make your own judgement on originality; I have never seen a pair of original 66 brackets. But these fit great (and look great) and worth the cost based on that alone. There is clearance, and full travel for adjusting the belt. Here is what they look like installed in my EC chassis. I will also post comparison photos with the pickup brackets that I removed.

1966_L78, Philip and davewho1 like this.

My Build Thread:

post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 12:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamino View Post
I bought the reproduction brackets from Goat Hill Classics (ebay seller Aarchivehunter), received them yesterday afternoon, and installed this morning. They fit beautifully and are well made. I will post pictures so you can make your own judgement on originality; I have never seen a pair of original 66 brackets. But these fit great (and look great) and worth the cost based on that alone. There is clearance, and full travel for adjusting the belt. Here is what they look like installed in my EC chassis. I will also post comparison photos with the pickup brackets that I removed.
No problems with Goat Hill? I thought I had heard stories about communication issues?

Ah, so this adjustment bracket bolts to the same bolt as the rear alternator bracket? Couldn't see that in the pictures...

What kind of price for those brackets from Goat Hill?

My '67 EC and my 66 SS are both BB/manual steering cars, but as I get older, I think it might be wise to add power steering...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in