The Classification Question - Chevelle Tech
El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

The Classification Question

How would you, personally, classify the El Camino.......as a car or a truck? Some people can really debate this one. By appearance only, I classify it as a truck. That, and if you can haul more weight from products in a non-seating compartment of a vehicle than weight from passengers in seating compartments.........it's a truck.

What say you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- over 100,000 auction vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 1:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: The Classification Question

I don't think either classification is wrong. California classifies it as a truck so you have to get commercial plates, but it drives and rides like a car.

Steve R
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 7:20 AM
Tech Team
Joe

I'd have to call it a truck. The only one I ever owned was an '85 but it had to wear truck plates here in Ohio. I never hauled too much in the bed but it was there if needed. Maybe you need to start a poll. A lot of people here like to vote here so you may be surprised what you results you get.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 7:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

I think most agencies and people would call it a truck but to me (currently a 71 but have had several) just too much car-ness to call it a truck. Based on a car frame, it's a car. But then again I call a Suburban a truck (because it's based on a truck frame).

I live on a gravel road (clay based/gets slick when wet) and have a 60 mile round trip daily commute so my daily driver/beater is a Subaru Baja; also not a truck because it's based on a car but people (and the parts store) call it a truck. BTW, handiest little car/truck I've ever had even it it's a bit weird and quite ugly.

Agree, a poll would be interesting......
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 7:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lloyd

Here in NY my 05 Avalanche gets car plates and my 70 SS Elco gets truck plates. One hauls wire, conduit, electrical boxes and tools, the other hauls ass!

I still think they've got it sdrawkcab, but what do I know?

Lloyd
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 1:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
Based on a car frame, it's a car.
While I'd agree that its based on the Chevelle frame (car frame), and even the earlier versions were based on the full-size...

But whats the functional different between the car frame and truck frame?

Just because the frame and suspension came from a car...

Chevrolet used coil springs and independent suspension on some of their trucks... Sure, the frame isn't as beefy as a truck, but then again, is the C10 frame as strong as a C50/C60?

The El Camino is obviously "light-duty"

The El Camino has a full frame, it has steering and suspension similar to that found on many light-duty or medium-duty trucks of the era. And it has an open cargo area and tailgate like most other trucks... So its a truck...

Its design is all Chevelle, and it has the comfort of a car, so that makes it a car...

Tough decision...

We all know it blurs the lines, but IMO, the open cargo area definitely moves it into the "truck" category, even if its not as robust as the other trucks offered...
Tn66chevelle likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 2:35 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

It's a "CARUCK"
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 5:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

No truck plates required since the DMV sees it as a car, but I would have to go with Tony; it's a light duty truck with car features as options. Mine seems to be getting closer to a car everyday however.....

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 16, 7:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
No truck plates required since the DMV sees it as a car,
Funny how it varies by state... Here in California, its considered a truck (IIRC, 1/2-ton listed on the title or registration), and its also charged an extra "weight fee" on my yearly registration, because it CAN be used for commercial purposes with that open bed (thats what a DMV employee told me years ago)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 4:08 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Archer says "The el Camino is not a Car, nor is it a Truck"
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/75013150018497583/

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 6:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

In NYS an ElCamino may be registered as either a pass. car or a commercial vehicle, my 65 was registered as a truck, my 70 SS is registered as a car (no tickets on parkways or expressways). Chevy termed it a "truck", even though it was built off a station wagon body, you figure.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 10:30 PM
Tech Team
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff1200 View Post
it's a "caruck"
x2
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 16, 12:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

My 64 is the one and only year to say it right on the fender.

Even the advertising literature had it, so it's not a case of a previous owner adding it.

Clear and plain, it says Chevelle, which is a car. In my mind it is a station wagon without a roof. Still a car, open bed or not. CA requires me to pay additional "truck" fees, but I love in a greedy state.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 16, 12:41 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

It's a Chevelle truck

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 16, 1:32 AM
Tech Team
RANDY

Never seen an El Camino in a car brochure and G.M. must have considered them trucks at first.

Thanks
Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1127 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.