Purchased on 7/12/2014.
ODO reads 46,300 ????

Purchased new in Aurora, CO.
Been here its whole life.

VIN 136809K443662

Body Plate

TR 764 53 CPNT

050 05964

Glacier Blue with Dark Blue Vinyl Top(53)
Metallic Dark Blue Coated Fabric (764)

GOAL: Keep as original as possible. However I do want to drive the car. So mods that may not be true to the original but add driveability are not out of the question.

Example: I am adding a expansion tank to the cooling system. Not just an overflow. I will post pics when its in.

14x6 Rally wheels on it now.
Am shopping some 15x8 vette rally wheels. will then add some redlines.

picture in front of sellers home day I drove it away.

bought some 15x8 corvette (AZ code) rims.
came with aftermarket rings. seller had 3 100K camaro's, he restores 67-69.
i wasnt sure of the vette rings but I know the chevelle ones arent smooth at lip. I questioned, he said GM with a dirty stare so I guessed I was wrong. Instead I got played on them.
but the bonus was a set of 215/70R15 tires that are almost new. all balanced and ready to go. paid $300. not disappointed just dont like to be lied to/ next time I will do my homework and not let that happen.

a few pics

also, installed a new ac/delco gas cap. other one seemed like vent wasnt working as I got a bit of a swoosh sound.

i added a coolant recovery tank.
i did a bit of research and found that many were using a 82+ camaro tank.
while it didnt fit perfect it was close.
you will see in one of my pics I added a rubber mount ( from the old harley days) to the lower area. i could not get it mounted otherwise. on the top its bolted to the inner fender directly. only the bottom needed a spacer.

cracked the thermo housing. found a decent one at oreilly. painted it engine orange.

So new parts included:
GM Recovery tank and lid 14070997 & 15630112.
Stant Radiator cap that allow recovery 10331.
New Stant SuperStat 195 degree 45359.
New thermo housing (murray) and gasket.
New upper radiator hose. (gates)(lower looks new and feels soft so left it as is)

gas cap GM 3931449 new

some pics

here is a shot of the lower mount.

side view

frontal

and here is a shot of my hard wired battery tender plug sticking out the grill

15x8 AZ code wheels
OEM centers
Aftermarket rings
215/70R15 rubber

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 2:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Re: 69 El Camino journey

install of a new retro radio.
After some research I went with www.retrosound.com Model Two.
I also bought their dual voice front dash speaker.

here is what the current AM radio looks like.
I tried to match it as best I could. I got the same black/chrome buttons to match all my current knobs. I got a completely black face to mimic the original

original

new radio and knobs LOL

I am running a few cables into the glove box. THis radio has 2 USB connections and 2 aux inputs. AS well as RCA outs for an amp.

I am also running some speaker wires to the rear. Thats a project for another day but I will have the wires in place.

i installed the retrosound dual voice 4x10 dash speaker in place of toasted original. I mistakenly thought they supplied a specific bracket for my elco. But all i received was a piece of strap to hold my speaker up by one screw :let_it_all_out:

sent them an email and they showed me where it said 'universal bracket'.
offered to take it back.

there also is a challenge with the speaker hitting the bracket and not sitting 100% under the grille. but that is how my original sat too.

anyway I knew one screw would be tough with the larger speaker and the strap. so to help the one screw I added heavy duty 3m mounting tape to the entire speaker rim. I used the 3m primers on both surfaces to clean them up and make the bond bulletproof.

I would NOT recommend this speaker as a valid solution for the 69. there are other options that have very specific mounting brackets for our rides.

here a few pics.

the strap

the tape before its reveal

a view up at the installed speaker

for the rears I bought some small prefab boxes that I am going to mount up in the rear corners under the shelf....high and tight/ The box is 7 x 7 x 4. Will not interfere with spare. I removed the rear corner trim and am deciding how to mount the boxes without any damage to visible parts.

I am filling the rear boxes with some JL Audio 6.5 2 ways.
speakers and boxes not here yet. maybe friday.

Buttoned up the install....well need to finalize the wiring and run the speaker wire for the right rear....left rear wiring done.
speakers and boxes will be here Monday for the rear.

looks as stock as can be

CONFIRMATION OF THE LIFE OF THIS ELCO/

Saturday Sept 6 2014 I attended the Bandimere Raceway Swapmeet as a seller trying to unload some accumulated parts from my elco and others. I took the elco so people would have an idea of what I was selling.

Sometime during the morning this guy comes up and starts asking about my car. He gets closer and he asks if it had a fiberglass cover on the bed. I tell him yes I bought it with the cover and recently removed it. He proceeds to tell me his name and that he was the second owner of the elco. He bought it in 93 from the original owner. He sold it to Terry who I bought it from making me the 4th owner. PO Terry told me all this but I thought it was BS. Just like I doubted the mileage at 46,xxx.

We continue to discuss the car. Mark, owner 2, tells me the original owner was a woman who towed a garden trailer around her property. THat explains the trailer hitch. Says she also added the bed cover sometime in the 70's. He bought it with 22,000 miles. I asked about the repaint. He told me when he bought it, it was very straight however there were scratches down both sides from hedges and branches. So about a year after he bought he had it painted. He mentioned how the inside of the bed wasnt painted; the painter said the bed was SO PERFECT that no one would believe the originality if he painted it. He also said the vinyl top was faded. So they painted the topper and the vinyl top a blue poly color from the interior. He looked over the interior and said he looked as he remembered. Even the plastic box with snow chains.....they are from the original owner. He thought the dash pad might have been replaced or dyed but thats it.

Original owner purchased car right here in Aurora, CO.
Original owner sold to owner 2 in 1993. 22,000 miles.
Owner 2 sold it to Owner 3 in 2004. It had about 36,xxx miles.
Owner 3 sold to me July 2014. It had 46,xxx miles.

I got his number and am thinking of asking him to write up the bullet points and sign it. The original mileage is hard to believe so some substantiation may be helpful in the future. Then get owner 3 to add his signature and details to same paper.

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:00 PM.
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 2:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

i added some rear speakers to my audio system.

I wanted to install them without drilling a hole or altering anything visible.
I also wanted quality speakers.
AND the spare tire needs to stay put.

After much deliberation and searching I found some small speaker boxes that would fit the need. The boxes are 7x7x4.
THey were covered in gray felt so I bought some Medium Blue Dupli-Color vinyl and fabric paint.

I filled them with JL Audio speakers. JL AUDIO C2-600X

after paint and speaker installed

I was insistent on NOT drilling one hole. The back cab wall isnt flat in many places. I added some 1x1 aluminum tubing to the back of the speaker boxes so that they sit on the flat parts of the cab wall.

I did some research and the best option for 2 sided tape that was strong enough was 3M 4941. I bought a small roll at amazon.

To prepare the area and make sure a good bond I used 3M 06396 Automotive Adhesion Promoter before applying the tape.

Drivers side IN

Passenger side.....I need to move this 1/2 inch away from spare tire but its in there for now.

I bought a center console from classicconsoles.com.

The color is close and will do for now.

Very well made product. $110 delivered to the door.

It has a strap that secures it to the seat. I havent strapped it in yet.

[/QUOTE]

Doug the 'Striping Viking' stopped over today.

Left me with A tribute to my Pops 'Duke'.

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:05 PM.

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

today I went to visit Rich at Protective Window tint.
He has tinted all of my vehicles since i moved here in 98.
and he has clear bra on them all since 07.
he did the bra and tint on the acura.....its 2.5 years and near perfect.
he used the SunTek bra on it. first time I used a NON 3M product.

SOOOOOO

This time I got a gray SunTek window tint; 20% rear window and 30% on the sides. Its a metallic film and documentation said 60% heat rejection for the rear and 50% for the sides.

for a compare....most factory tint on rear windows on SUVs is about 18%.

i left it out to dry in the sun

I bought an SS hood off CL.

Its aftermarket but all smooth and painted. Just need a fit, scuff, and paint I hope. Threaded holes look good. Underside was the giveaway.

Going to put in shed until spring. Spent all my mod money until tax time.

keeping bench seat and its cover but getting new ALL NEW FOAM and springs fixed.
new sound deadener and insulation.
new carpet. i bought the mass backed 80/20 loop from stockinteriors.com
its the accmats product; direct shipped from accmats.
I bought extra jute and a 36x72 piece of matching carpet that I am going to use to cover the rear wall. I bought some plush floormats in a near blue.

also removing the carb and send it to ted mountainman for a nice rebuild.
so I went to HF and wasted a hundo on some dollies......i should have known better and may still return them....i can move it side to side which is most important for me in case i need to get in passenger door. but the only way to move it back forth is to side to side it. i havent had any help yet; maybe with another human you could move it back forth but I dont know. I met 3 guys at cars and coffee yesterday and asked 'ever used dollies' and all 3 said 'of course, Harbor freight.
So thats what I bought 1500 lb capacity per dollies. it was a touch over a hudo out the door. jegs was like 150 and i cheaped out.

so i had to assemble so I put grease in all wheels and all swivels; read reviews and that what it said was needed. still cant budge it and 6'2 240 / :yell:

and they SUCK AZZ

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:09 PM.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

here is the interior starting to get stripped.

the dollies

the floor looks pretty good.....

saw something else needs attention

removing the carb; took lots of pics to help wioth re-install

i took the interior apart for a new carpet.

my floors are in good shape so no paint. I did repair 2 small holes with jb water weld. I still have time to do something else but not much. will decide if the jb is good enough shortly.

I know there is a huge debate about sound deadener. I know I did it once with the Home Depot asphalt stuff and it stunk. But I also know I wasnt spending 300-500 for the dynamat.

I found a guy on eBay with butyl rubber for a good price. \ LINK HERE
I paid less than 100 for Twenty 12x18 pieces. Doing my complete floor I used half of it. I did a best offer and think I paid $93.

Then I wanted some insulation and I bought 2 rolls of EZCool. I saw it here.

I used about a roll and a third to cover the complete floor ON TOP of the sound deadener. I used some 3M 77 spray adhesive to hold it into place.

I had to do some fixes to my stereo wiring to make sure its all under the carpet.

here some pics.....not many.

where I started

sound deadener

EZ COOL Insulation

for my sub and speaker wires I bought some undercarpet channel that has 3 slots. I will run one piece on DS of hump for amp power wires.

then on pass side I will run the speakers and the sub signal from the radio.

I paid like 20 bucks for a 15 foot piece of the channel.

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:16 PM.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

here is the home depot wire channel i bought.
it was $20 for 15 feet. I think regular price is $30.

here what it looky like

pass side is the home depot channel/ it comes with 2 sided tape. i will tape it down once it sits flat.

drivers side I put my power wires in with the oem wires.

I sent a set of control arms and rebuild parts to glenn lever
http://www.lever-family-racing.com/

had a gm chassis color match powder coating applied.
did the shafts in grey.
moog ball joints.
AC Delco Professional Rubber bushings.

I originally sent them PST graphite poly bushings but there was a problem with the large rubber for the round hole lower rear. Glenn said it didnt fit like the others and said it was NG. PST said it was good. I was monkey in the middle. So I bought the ac delco pro rubber set and moved on. PST will give me a credit for their set.

and here is my latest carb. wont get into it here but I got the message from Lars that i needed a new carb. I found one had it sent to Lars and here it is on his test 350 motor.

I will get some pics on my motor but it is installed and the car is running

a few pics more of the carpet progress.

had to take the parking brake out to get the kick panel out.

here its going back together.

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

I used this strip caulk to seal the kick panel vents to the hole

you can see caulk here. also put some insulation on the inside....used spray glue.

in CO they let you use 'Year of Manufacture' plates for certain years.

you have to send in pics of the plates and such.

ANYWAY I went through the hoops and viola....

i bought a 69 set at a swap meet last year for $15

and to celebrate I ordered a Randy's spoiler.....should be here in about a month

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:30 PM.
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

here is the rear wall. for ME this was the hardest part as the carpet just ended in weird places. I trimmed it to fit UNDER my smugglers box insert. but the rest of the back wall I just made it even with the back wall. I then used some RUBBER CHANNEL from ebay 1 inch by 5/16 to clean it up. the JACK holder cut is sloppy but will work.

i also bought some plastic courtesy lights from ebay. most of the harnesses were useless but I was able to use new terminals on the door pins to add both original and new wires. door pins make the ground when open. then just needed to find power. orange wire was hard to find in easy place. so for drivers side I used a terminal added to the fuse box Battery terminal. Added an inline fuse. then on the passenger side I tapped into the glove box light orange wire for power and the door pin, crimped on a new bullet terminal with both wires.

i ordered some LEDS for them so I wont be using much power. I prefer WHITE light over brown

drivers i used an existing hole.

on pass side I didnt have a hole but was able to jam it in there. when i get a few I will add a screw.

my lamps look like this.....from ebay

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:33 PM.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Another warm day in winter so Modding happened.

Did MY first oil change

5-30 castrol gtx Dino
Wix filter
47,2xx miles

Removed busted plastic flywheel cover.
Replacment i bought is slightly different.
But I was able to search via part number and found one from a camaro. On the way.

Also discovered fan shroud I bought is too big about 3 inches different on mounting holes. Need to revisit.

I made a cardboard template of the back wall. I bought some extra carpet, same as floor without the extra backing. Today a MOBILE CARPET BINDER is coming over to cut the carpet and bind the edges.

Randy's spoiler is IN THE HOUSE.

Mobile carpet binding done in a snow squall in the driveway.

All done but not installed in this pic.
Will Velcro it to back wall

Finally ready to install the seat lol

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:50 PM.
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

I finally replaced the original flywheel cover. It was busted.
I bought a metal one that was ever so slightly to big
but found an oem plastic on eBay for like $30 to the door.
no pics but its done/

added some velcro to the back of my wall rug.

just 2 strips

installed.

also added some leds to my interior.

i like blue. I added 3 strips under the dash equally spaced. I used adapters that plugged into my 1156 socket so very easy to remove revert. 2 sided tape hold them in. and then they work as original courtesy lamps.

I OWE A PIC OF UNDER DASH LIGHTS HERE>

I also made a filler for my overhead lamp. used a festoon adapter and wired up 2 more strips in the light. I used a filler piece of plastic and 2 sided tape. Again simply revert back, all plug and play.

overhead showing LEDs. they come mounted into aluminum. I think I paid $8 per bar from VLEds. they also sold all the socket adapters.

here is with cover on.

and in the dark. They are bright enough that you could very easily read something.

I went to get my SS tips installed.
They made me an offer on a SS Magnaflow

Soooooo

Its 15894 magnaflow kit with OEM SS tips.

Kit hangs a little low due to X pipe but doing google searches most are happy.

We'll see.

And sound good too.

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 12:57 PM.
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

OK I had to go back and have them move the tips back a bit....

Here is a final placement.

Also notice they made custom pipes from the muffler back and he bent them to tuck from rear wheel back then come out. Rather than the straight pipe running back. More better

My interior came with silver window cranks that always turn yellow. So I found this blue set on eBay

And this fuzzy cadoo spare cover. Has a zipper to get to the lockdown

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 1:00 PM.
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

brought my elco to Lars for a distributor rebuild and ignition and timing.

kept crane wires and coil. checked coil hot side was not receiving full voltage so no need for additional resistor.

said distro was very sloppy; has a Sun machine so he sets them up right. also vacuum advance wasn't correct so he swapped in the correct vacuum advance thingy. he sets you up with points; only way he does it.

changed vacuum advance from ported vacuum to manifold vacuum.

initial timing set at 18
full advance 36

also adjusted/replaced some of the springs and weights along with new vacuum advance so that 36 comes at about 2800......it was about 3400 rpm/

i also had a cold start with the Quadrajet where it was just too rich under choke. he adjusted it to '13 to 1' ???? so not as rich on choke.
found accelerator pump was 'funny' so he replaced that too.

drives like I expected it should have from day 1.

Lars sent me an invoice with the details of the tuning and work he performaed:

Distro:
remove Electronic conversion
correct Excessive shaft endplay
remove Slop in breaker plate attach point
replace No lube in upper lube well
Curve too slow
Vacuum advance too stiff and long for application

Carb:
Choke pulloff too rich
Accel pump swollen

Curve is now:
20 degrees centrifugal advance
Curve starts at 800 rpm
Full advance all in at 2800 rpm
Dwell set at 30.5 Degrees
Set timing to 16 degrees below 700 rpm, or set for 36 total
Vac advance starts at 7"
Full vac advance 11 degrees at 11"

Parts:
Lars Kwik Curve Kit
Hi Perf Points
Condenser
B-26 Vacuum Advance
VAC Advance Limiter
Primary Lead Wire

replace accelerator pump

Lars' details of his distributor fix:
Distributors: I only do the rebuilding on the stock GM points-style distributors (including Corvette tach drive) - not HEI or TI. If your points-style distributor has been converted with an aftermarket electronic conversion "kit," I will remove the conversion and install a set of high performance points: The aftermarket conversions are the source of a multitude of distributor problems, so I will not use them. My points will outperform any aftermarket e-conversion. I will return your e-conversion parts to you in a bag. I cannot test distributors with the e-conversions in them, so I cannot verify operation or curve unless the distributor has a good set of points. The base fee includes a complete teardown & inspection, hot tank, cleanup, paint, detail, a precision assembly with my KwikCurve kit (includes new vacuum advance control unit, hardened shims, custom calibrated springs and a custom advance stop bushing), new high performance points, new condenser, and actual running of the distributor on my Sun distributor machine to verify advance curve and performance through 6,000 rpm. If the distributor needs other parts, such as shaft bushings, cross gear, main shaft, crossgear thrust surface repair, etc., this is in addition to the base fee, and I charge my cost on these items. I also charge a nominal fee if the tach-drive distributor housing needs to be machined due to cross gear damage and if a custom thrust button needs to be fabricated. The distributor is supplied to you with complete installation instructions. Do not ship the distributor with the cap or rotor, as these will get broken in shipment."

Previously........

I sent a set of control arms and rebuild parts to glenn lever
http://www.lever-family-racing.com/

had a gm chassis color match powder coating applied.
did the shafts in grey.
moog ball joints.
AC Delco Professional Rubber bushings.

lowers

and a few months later we pick it up with ........

and following up on that post above I have been collecting parts for a complete suspension job

the front end is very sloppy when driving. a mess. looks like nothing but sway links and shocks have ever been touched.

I have been accumulating parts. i wanted to stay mostly original in look however I want to DRIVE it.

Front Parts:

Original C code A Arms, upper and lowers, from a 69 SS (LCA round rear holes). Sent to Glenn Lever for rebuild.
AC Delco Professional grade rubber control arm bushings
Moog Ball Joints 5108 5103
KYB Gas Adjust shocks KYB KG4513
BellTech Stock height springs 5828
PST Steering kit: Idler Arm, Inner Tie Rod Ends, Outer Tie Rod Ends, Tie Rod Sleeves, Center Link.
Timken Front wheel bearings and seal.
Hellwig 55703 Sway bar.

currently running 15x8 corvette rally wheel and 215/75 15.

rear:
upper and lower control arms BOXED, ready for sways, rebuilt Glenn Lever
Moog 5161 Bushings (8)
add F41 rear frame braces
KYB GasAdjust
BellTech stock height springs
Rear spring upper cushion
Hellwig 5800 Sway bar

rear arms uppers and lowers boxed, powder coat, sway ready
thanks Glenn Lever
also purchased a set of the rear SS braces, matching powder coat.

onto the install AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 1:04 PM.
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

NEED SOME HELP WITH THE BUILD SHEET...........

i have been really busy and rain has been non stop this spring.
I have not touched the front and rear end job. Will probably wait until spring now.

also, i have never waxed or really detailed this car since I bought it last year. SO I brought it to my favorite detailer 'The Works' and had a minor paint correction and basic detail.

SO today I went to local Cars and Coffee and as I am getting into the car I see something in the door jamb. VIOLA I pull the build sheet out.

So I need some help with the details

Last edited by Dean; Apr 22nd, 18 at 1:07 PM.
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 4:15 PM
Tech Team

Very Nice!
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 15, 9:37 AM
Tech Team
Gary

Very very nice.Nice up grades an preservation's.Love your truck. Keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in