El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 9:48 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage
65 El Camino LS2 Project

I bought a new El Camino in 1965 and kept it a couple of years and traded it for a new 67 Camaro. I've had a number of El Caminos over the years (69, 72, 83, 86 Caballero) and, I've always wanted another 65 but, they've always been out of my price range or, total rust buckets. I stumbled on to this 65 on Craigslist in Sacramento a couple of months ago and, as luck would have it, my best friend has a business about 1/2 mile from where it was for sale and he was able to check it out for me. It is a "project" but, all the "issues" seem to be within my capability to correct. It has a number of minor dings and the interior is a disaster but, the only major rust is the floor.

The plan is for a frame-off (not necessarily 100% nut and bolt) resto-mod;

-- I already have an LS2 engine out of an 06 Corvette and a built 4L60E transmission that I was planning to put in my 83 - until this 65 came along.

-- Media blast and paint frame.

-- Complete suspension/steering component upgrade with poly graphite bushings, 2" dropped spindles, upgraded sway bars front and rear and 4 wheel disc brakes.

-- Complete interior refurb with 5th gen buscket seats and 3rd gen console and horse shoe shifter.

-- Vintage or Classic Air and Dakota Digital instruments.

I live in Texas, just north of Fort Worth, and the truck is in California. It's currently in a media blast shop getting the really old spray-in bed liner removed. When that's done, my friend will move to a shop there in Elk Grove and we will replace the floor before shipping it to Texas.

It will probably be several months before I'm able to document much progress. I have a Caballero project that I need to finish enough to get out of the garage before I can move the 65 in.

Here are a few pictures - as it is now. YES - the wheels have to go!

Les

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 11:16 AM
Banned
Anthony

Re: 65 El Camino LS2 Project

Looks like a good start. I think I`ve seen your friends shop in the old depot. I`m a truck driver and have delivered in there a lot. There is a shop that has a lot of old hot rod builds going on.

Anyway, love 65 el caminos. Looking forward to see how your turns out.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 2:14 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

There's a hot rod shop there in the Depot but, it's not my friends. He owns Total Service Logistics. They're a warehousing/shipping business.

I'm looking for a left fender for mine. If you happen on to one in good shape, please let me know.

Thanks

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 2:41 PM
Banned
Anthony

They repop the fenders now but a friend of mine has some left over 65 sheet metal. I`ll see if he has one.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 8:12 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

Great start for another resurrected 65 Elky. Mine was a lot worse and it all came together in the end. Keep us up to speed as you go. Ed

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

Nice!!

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 1:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
T.C.

Looking forward to this!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 15, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Certainly have your work cut out for you. Looks to be doable. Love the 65' Caminos.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 15, 10:26 AM
Tech Team
rick

I think it looks great, a heck of a lot better than what I started with. Mine had plywood on one side for a floor board and a TV tray on the other and 5 gallons of roofing tar to cover everything up. Do you have any plans as far as paint, solid or two tone.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 15, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Looking at a solid color. 2010 Corvette Crystal Red with saddle interior. Something like this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj67bu View Post
I think it looks great, a heck of a lot better than what I started with. Mine had plywood on one side for a floor board and a TV tray on the other and 5 gallons of roofing tar to cover everything up. Do you have any plans as far as paint, solid or two tone.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 15, 10:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I like! Of course I'm kinda partial to the early Caminos!

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 15, 8:04 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Got the floor out.

I can't believe how some PO butchered the floor. There was huge hole in the area that I cut out. I didn't discover the additional area by the gas pedal until I cut the rest out and ripped off the fiberglass on the forward part of the hump.

Looks like I am going to get the floor piece(s) from Rock Auto. They sell full length (left and right) sections, by Goodmark, that go all the way forward into the footwell and will take care of the butchered section by the gas pedal.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 15, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

I spent a few days in California earlier this week and got the floor trimmed and secured with screws. Also installed a used replacement hood. just waiting for my buddy to get the floor welded in and it will be ready for transport.

Overall - I'm happy with the quality fit of the floor from Rock Auto (after much trimming). I had the bed and inside of the tailgate media blasted and epoxy primed. The bed has some small dents but, all will be an easy fix.

I can't wait to get it home and get started on the chassis refurb and engine install.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 7:54 AM
Tech Team
Nick

Looking good, never heard anyone say fixing those fricking ribs in the bed, easy ; )
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 8:17 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Thanks Nick,

Fortunately, the ding you can see in the lower left of the picture is the worst of the lot and, it's in the removable panel. Being able to remove the panel and pound the dent out on a flat surface should make it a lot easier. The rest of the ones in the bed are shallow enough that they could probably be filled - as they are - but, I'll make an effort to smooth them out some after I get it up in the air and get the frame out.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in