El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 17, 11:12 AM
Clint

Re: 65 El Camino LS2 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
My wife and I usually work "parking" on Saturday but, it didn't look like she would be available on Saturday this year. Plus, on Sunday, there are also some nice 73> on display. I may try to make a pass through on Saturday. What area will you be parked in?

The brakes are from a 2010 Z51 Vette. A friend gave me the full set (front and rear) to me when he upgraded for road racing. The caliper mounting brackets are from Kore3.

I have a similar set-up on my 83 with smaller C5 rotors. I still had to use a 1/4" space to get the calipers to clear the wheel. With the spacer, the clearance is about the thickness of a piece of typing paper but, they don't rub. I was looking to go with same 17" TT II wheels on the 65 - that I have on the 83 - but, because of the larger rotors, I had to go with 18" wheels on the 65. I'll still need 1/4" spacers on the 65 as well.
I didn't pre-register because I had some surgery on my left foot a couple of weeks ago and wasn't sure if I would be ok by then, Les. Doing better now so I'm still planning to attend and about 99% sure I'm bringing my 70 and will register then.

Glad to hear you only needed a 1/4" spacer to clear your TT II wheels. If you used Kore3's hubs, they reduce the track width 1/4" per side so that might keep one from having to buy new wheels.
C5 Z06 and C6 Z51 calipers are basically the same, except the C6 Z51 calipers are about 30% more rigid.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 17, 6:48 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Goodguys were short on check-in (stubbing) help on the Sunday early shift so, I signed up to work 6:00 to 12:00 on Sunday. I live near-by so, I may try to swing by on Saturday if nothing else gets in the way.

I'm retired from an airline, and my wife still works for them so, we can fly for free. We're flying up to Omaha tomorrow to go to the Midwest Regional Chevelle Show. Hopefully, there will be a few nice El Caminos there. 2017 Midwest Regional Car Show

I didn't use Kore3 hubs. I used the bolt on hub and bearing assembly from a 2000 Camaro. Now, I can't be sure I remember what the rotors on my 83 came from but, they're 12.75" and the ones going on the 65 are 13.5". I tried a wheel from the 83 on the 65 before I bought wheels for it and the 17" wheel hit the caliper, even with the spacer so, I went with 18s.

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 17, 12:27 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
Goodguys were short on check-in (stubbing) help on the Sunday early shift so, I signed up to work 6:00 to 12:00 on Sunday. I live near-by so, I may try to swing by on Saturday if nothing else gets in the way.

I'm retired from an airline, and my wife still works for them so, we can fly for free. We're flying up to Omaha tomorrow to go to the Midwest Regional Chevelle Show. Hopefully, there will be a few nice El Caminos there.

I didn't use Kore3 hubs. I used the bolt on hub and bearing assembly from a 2000 Camaro. Now, I can't be sure I remember what the rotors on my 83 came from but, they're 12.75" and the ones going on the 65 are 13.5". I tried a wheel from the 83 on the 65 before I bought wheels for it and the 17" wheel hit the caliper, even with the spacer so, I went with 18s.
I'm jealous. Wish I could attend the Midwest Chevelle meet but I've got a family gathering to attend,instead.

If those brake rotors on your 83 are C5 units, they are probably 12.88". Your C6 rotors are 340mm, which is 13.4". I'm probably going with the 340's too but 355's are an option. (14" diameter)
I'm not concerned with caliper to rim clearance but caliper to wheel spoke. C5 & C6 calipers have a lot of overhang and spoke clearance is always a concern with TT II wheels. My front 18" VN215's are one-piece which actually have a little more clearance than the two-piece TT II's.

Clint Hooper

Sold

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 17, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
I'm jealous. Wish I could attend the Midwest Chevelle meet but I've got a family gathering to attend,instead.
They had a lot of really nice cars (190+ total) but only about 10 El Caminos. Lots and lots of big blocks but very few LS type conversions. Apparently, from this show, most Chevelle owners lean toward "purist" restoration. While I am mostly in to restomod functionality, it's nice to see some great - mostly stock - restorations.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 17, 11:34 PM
Clint

Today, I asked the question "how many of the cars there were numbers-matching and how many were modified?" on the Team Chevelle facebook page and was immediately attacked for asking it. There's no sense in wasting my time and money to attend, especially if they have that attitude.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 7:19 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

WOW !!!! I can't believe it's been this long since I've posted an update. The truck is inspected, registered and - technically - road-worthy. But, I'm still working on paint and a host of minor issues before I can call it "done" - if ever.

The registration process for getting and out-of-state vehicle, with no title was a horror story in it's self but, it's done so, no point in going in to it.

The bed and tail gate are painted but, I'm looking for several days of 70+ degree, sunny, weather before I will tackle the rest of the exterior paint. Since February is usually the coldest month in North Texas, it may be March before I can paint. I'm okay, but not super happy, with how the bed came out. It's amazing how many little dings primer will hide. But, there was no way I'm going to block sand the bed floor so... "it is what it is". I'm good with how the tail gate came out and optimistic for the quality of the rest of the exterior paint.

B52bombardier1 likes this.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 7:29 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Hello Les,

It looks great from the pictures and congratulations. Looks like you will easily make it to the Natchitoches El Camino show at the end of March with this EC.

For mine, I think I will be ready by then but wiring is still killing me. Drivers side rear turn signals and brake lights are driving me insane.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 9:25 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Hello Les,

It looks great from the pictures and congratulations. Looks like you will easily make it to the Natchitoches El Camino show at the end of March with this EC.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Natchitoches - due to scheduling conflicts but, we did make it to Belton. The 65 performed "OK" but, not as well as I expected and the fuel mileage is way off. More trouble shooting and/or dyno-tune in the future. It's still not painted - due to delays and down time awaiting transmission change(s). It did get a nice trophy for "work in progress".

We had the lowest turn-out, that we've ever had at Belton - I'm sure much because of the severe weather predictions (again). But, the weather on Saturday was absolutely gorgeous and, those of us who were there had a great time.

After the show, a few of us went out to Lake Belton to share some food and adult beverages. (That's my 83 in the foreground)

Daryl Lane and Hotwire like this.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in