8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: 65 El Camino LS2 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
Wow David!! That looks great. I don't think I'll be ashamed of mine when it's done but, it's not built to that level. I went back with mostly stock suspension parts, except for all poly graphite bushings and bigger sway bars.

The LS motor was a no-brainer for me. I'm a huge LS fan (I've owned 5 LS powered Corvettes) and I bought this LS2 before I bought the 65 Elky - with the thought of putting it in my 83. When the 65 came along, it kinda fell in place.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm anxious to see the finished project.
Thanks Les, Hind sight being 20/20, I should have started my own build thread and just posted a link in answer to your initial question. It's akin to butting into a conversation so I will apologize for that. My El Camino was a decent driver with a 454 and Richmond 6-speed that was solid but just a little tired looking. I originally pulled the nose off just to strip/paint the core support, inner fenders, cowl, etc. satin black and have the headers re-ceramic coated. It all snowballed from there - totally out of control!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 17, 6:34 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS65 View Post

Love the build, the quality, the paint, everything!
Funny fact.... I bought my 65 out of Belton Lake Tx! And it is almost the same color too! Bought in September, 2013 and brought back to Pennsylvania.
Keep up the great work. you are an inspiration to me to get moving on mine!
I wish I had seen that one first. It's a bunch better than what I started with and it wouldn't have cost $900+ to get it shipped from California. I bought my first Elky new in 1965. It was that color with a 327, 300HP, four speed and 3.31 Posi. I drove it a couple of years and traded it in on a Camaro. I've had 3 other El Caminos since then but was always looking for another 65.

BTW, I worked the Mecum Auction in Dallas this past year and saw this 59. I don't remember exactly but, I think it went for about $11 - $13 K.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA1116-25...let-el-camino/
JFS65 likes this.

Les

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 17, 6:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Thanks Les, Hind sight being 20/20, I should have started my own build thread and just posted a link in answer to your initial question. It's akin to butting into a conversation so I will apologize for that. My El Camino was a decent driver with a 454 and Richmond 6-speed that was solid but just a little tired looking. I originally pulled the nose off just to strip/paint the core support, inner fenders, cowl, etc. satin black and have the headers re-ceramic coated. It all snowballed from there - totally out of control!
David,

No need for an apology. I'm always happy to hear about - and see examples of - another 65 build.

Since you have the pictures, it's not too late to start a thread. It might be a bit of work to catch up but, I'm sure there are other 2nd Gen people out there that would love to see it.

BTW, I also retired from the USAF in 1991 after 30 years.

Best regards

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 17, 2:27 AM
Clint

Any more updates on your 65 project, Les?

BTW, I'm just up the road from you.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 17, 6:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
You'll be lucky if it only takes you that long.

Gonna be a nice ride. I like the interior, and that body color you plan to use will be a winner.

Unsolicited advice section: I recommend putting modern style control arms in back, and if they'll fit the braces that tie the upper and lower arm mounts and strengthen up the rear cross member. It'll brake straighter, launch better, and take away slop that might linger from those stamped control arms.

Best of luck. Hope it fires up and is leak free all the way around first turn of the key.
Thanks Steve,

I've been looking at The Global West rear suspension set-up. The whole system is definitely not in the budget any time soon but, I may try to fit some of it in a piece at a time.

I was stationed at McChord AFB in 1968 and that's where it traded my El Camino in on a Camaro. I often wonder if the Elky survived. It's probably not the one you have. Mine was Artesian Turquoise both interior and exterior. Even if it had a color change, you would probably see some evidence of the original color.

I really like the area where you are. I've been talking to my wife about possibly moving there when she retires - in 3 years. I love Texas but, I get really tired of the heat in the summers.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 17, 7:18 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
Any more updates on your 65 project, Les?

BTW, I'm just up the road from you.
Hey Clint,

Not much visual to report. I've been working on brake lines, power steering lines, Vintage Air lines and wiring. I have a American Autowire kit and, while it's really complete, virtually all of the under-dash wiring is much longer than it needs to be. Plus, I have a Dakota Digital dash and I'm using their adapter that feeds the instruments through the OBDII port so, a lot of the instrument wiring from the harness is not needed. I'm spending a lot of time trying to cut off some of the excess and reduce the "rat's nest". With the Vintage Air ducts behind the dash, there's not a lot of room unnecessary wiring.

I probably could have started the engine weeks ago but, I don't seem to be able to concentrate on one area until it's done. I'll work on one thing for a while and move to something else. I rationalize that it doesn't matter what I'm working on as long as I do something every day and, it contributes to the end result.

Were you at Goodguys last month? My wife and I worked parking in the "Home Built Heaven" and "Young Guns" lot on Saturday. I will have my 65 done for the Fall show so, I don't know if I'll work the show or, just display.

I live in Justin, which is just a few miles north of Texas Motor Speedway. If you're going to be down this way let me know. Maybe we can get together and talk trucks.

BTW, I love your 70. I had a black 69 many years ago.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 17, 7:56 AM
Team Member
Roger

It's nice to read a thread about a 65 Elky. I have a 72 that I did a frame off and made it into a restomod. Love the Elky, but I went a bit overboard and it's almost a trailer queen. Didn't intend that to happen.
But, I'm currently casually looking for a 65 Malibu and the info in this thread about a 65 is very helpful.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 17, 12:02 AM
Clint

Quote:
Hey Clint,

Not much visual to report. I've been working on brake lines, power steering lines, Vintage Air lines and wiring. I have a American Autowire kit and, while it's really complete, virtually all of the under-dash wiring is much longer than it needs to be. Plus, I have a Dakota Digital dash and I'm using their adapter that feeds the instruments through the OBDII port so, a lot of the instrument wiring from the harness is not needed. I'm spending a lot of time trying to cut off some of the excess and reduce the "rat's nest". With the Vintage Air ducts behind the dash, there's not a lot of room unnecessary wiring.

I probably could have started the engine weeks ago but, I don't seem to be able to concentrate on one area until it's done. I'll work on one thing for a while and move to something else. I rationalize that it doesn't matter what I'm working on as long as I do something every day and, it contributes to the end result.

Were you at Goodguys last month? My wife and I worked parking in the "Home Built Heaven" and "Young Guns" lot on Saturday. I will have my 65 done for the Fall show so, I don't know if I'll work the show or, just display.

I live in Justin, which is just a few miles north of Texas Motor Speedway. If you're going to be down this way let me know. Maybe we can get together and talk trucks.
Yeah, I'm a Goodguys member so I wasn't going to miss the event. Was there for about four hours and picked up a few ideas for my new project. Hope some of us can get together in October and put our cars in the Musclecar Corral.
Your 65 has the makings of something pretty special. Hang in there.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old May 4th, 17, 12:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Thanks Steve,

I've been looking at The Global West rear suspension set-up. The whole system is definitely not in the budget any time soon but, I may try to fit some of it in a piece at a time.

I was stationed at McChord AFB in 1968 and that's where it traded my El Camino in on a Camaro. I often wonder if the Elky survived. It's probably not the one you have. Mine was Artesian Turquoise both interior and exterior. Even if it had a color change, you would probably see some evidence of the original color.

I really like the area where you are. I've been talking to my wife about possibly moving there when she retires - in 3 years. I love Texas but, I get really tired of the heat in the summers.
We have definitely escaped heat. Seattle has it's charm. My needle is a little bit to the right of the general population. Only here cuz the wife works for Amazon. I'd prefer to be 40 miles in just about any direction away from Seattle proper. Just saying

My '65 is a Fremont California plant built car/truck. I've had it for about 4 years and replaced just about every junk yard pick and pull part on it.

Global West makes sturdy stuff. I think they are doing things right. I have the GW negative roll front control arms with coil overs. I like that set up, but it's sort of overkill in a street ride. I may put their coil over kit, or parts of their coil over kit on the back end. Still mulling it over. I have a mishmash of UMI and QA1 parts back there for the control arms and bracing. My old sled handles pretty good, but there is always room for improvement. The rear coil overs would be a big improvement over my Hotchkis shocks and drop springs currently bolted up in the rear.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
FiTech Go Port MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old May 5th, 17, 7:58 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
We have definitely escaped heat. Seattle has it's charm. My needle is a little bit to the right of the general population. Only here cuz the wife works for Amazon. I'd prefer to be 40 miles in just about any direction away from Seattle proper. Just saying

I hear you. When I first brought up the subject of moving there, my wife told me she didn't think I could handle the local politics.

My '65 is a Fremont California plant built car/truck. I've had it for about 4 years and replaced just about every junk yard pick and pull part on it.

Global West makes sturdy stuff. I think they are doing things right. I have the GW negative roll front control arms with coil overs. I like that set up, but it's sort of overkill in a street ride. I may put their coil over kit, or parts of their coil over kit on the back end. Still mulling it over. I have a mishmash of UMI and QA1 parts back there for the control arms and bracing. My old sled handles pretty good, but there is always room for improvement. The rear coil overs would be a big improvement over my Hotchkis shocks and drop springs currently bolted up in the rear.

I used the stock control arms and 2" drop spindles but, when I test fit the front fenders, it still looks like it sits a little higher than I want. If it still looks that way when I get it all together, I may have to look at some other options to get it down some more. Plus, from what I've read, I may have a problem with "bump steer" with the drop spindles.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 7:24 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
Les, hopefully you will have it done in time for the Fall Goodguys event.
Life has gotten in the way, including being co-chairs of this year's Grapefest, so the 65 won't be ready. But, I'm working the Goodguys check-in gate on Sunday morning. Who's going to be there?

I'm now shooting for having the 65 done by Christmas - this year.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 11:04 PM
Clint

I hope to have my 70 at the Goodguys event so keep an eye out for me,Les.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 17, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

I'm working check-in at the south gate from 9-12 on Sunday. If I don't see you come in, I'll look for you after my shift.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 17, 10:51 PM
Clint

I'll just be in attendance on Saturday. Hope Sunday isn't the only day you will be there.

I noticed you have the same front brakes I want to run,on my car. Have you bolted up your TT II wheels yet, to check for caliper/wheel spoke clearance? I've got American VN215 TT 18x8's w/4.5" backspace and I know a small spacer will be needed. Are you using brake components from Kore3?

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 17, 8:47 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

My wife and I usually work "parking" on Saturday but, it didn't look like she she would be available on Saturday this year. Plus, on Sunday, there are also some nice 73> on display. I may try to make a pass through on Saturday. What area will you be parked in?

The brakes are from a 2010 Z51 Vette. A friend gave me the full set (front and rear) to me when he upgraded for road racing. The caliper mounting brackets are from Kore3.

Hosted on Fotki

I have a similar set-up on my 83 with smaller C5 rotors. I still had to use a 1/4" space to get the calipers to clear the wheel. With the spacer, the clearance is about the thickness of a piece of typing paper but, they don't rub. I was looking to go with same 17" TT II wheels on the 65 - that I have on the 83 - but, because of the larger rotors, I had to go with 18" wheels on the 65. I'll still need 1/4" spacers on the 65 as well.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in