70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 16, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage
Re: 65 El Camino LS2 Project - Update

Got the Elky to Texas during the summer and stashed it away. I also bought a donor truck and got a good chassis, fenders and doors and a 12 bolt rear end. Since the last update, I stripped down the chassis and suspension parts, - from the donor truck - had them media blasted and epoxy primed and painted them with Eastwood Chassis Black. I assembled the suspension with two inch dropped S10 Blazer spindles, all new bushings, ball joints, steering components, shocks, and sway bars. I installed C6 Corvette Z51 front and C5 Corvette rear disc brakes.

I mounted the engine and transmission (06 LS2 Corvette and 4L60E). I used Dirty Dingo sliders and Energy Suspension poly mounts and a Holly 302-2 oil pan. I ended up with about 3/8" clearance above and behind the front cross member. I had hoped the LS2 exhaust manifolds would fit but, it didn't happen. I ended up going with a set of stainless shorty headers from Ebay. Although they were cheap ($175), I'm impressed with the quality and the fit. I was able to use the stock transmission cross member by re-drilling and moving it about a inch to the rear.

When I bought the LS2, I got all the front accessories as well as the ECM and DBW pedal. I didn't get the engine harness. I initally bought a Painless harness - which included a free re-flash of the ECM. After being told by their "Tech" guy that the ECM wouldn't work - even though it came from the same 06 Vette as the engine - and some serious "attitude" from him, I returned the harness. I subsequently bought a harness from Spear Tech. Although it hasn't run yet, I impressed with the quality of their work and their customer service. Apparently, they are well set up enough that they run each harness on an engine stand on the same model engine you are ordering it for.

I had the 12 bolt rear end rebuilt with new 3.08 gears and Eaton posi.

I got the fuel tank, pump and filter regulator from Tanks Inc. The tank is a thing of beauty.

Further work on the 65 is on mostly hold for a while. I'm doing all this at home in the garage and I have an 86 GMC Caballero project that I need to finish and sell - to clear up garage space and add some $$$ back into the 65 fund. I'm doing the body work and prep for painting the Cab. Since I haven't painted anything in a lot of years, I'm using the Cab project to refresh and refine my body and paint skills. Hopefully, resulting a better job on the 65.

Here are some pictures of the engine/chassis progress since the last update.

Les

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage
Re: 65 El Camino LS2 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
Looking at a solid color. 2010 Corvette Crystal Red with saddle interior. Something like this;
Long time no update.

I've waffled on several different colors since this post but, saw this one in Pismo Beach last year and loved it so, I'm committed. It's called Sea Breeze Aqua.

OLDED and JFS65 like this.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

There's been a lot of progress since this thread was last updated.

Media blast by "Dustless Blasting" It was dustless and they did a great job but, it is seriously messy. I probably shoveled, swept and disposed of 400+ pounds of blast material out of my driveway. And, cleaning the left-over blast media out of the nooks and crannies of the truck was not fun either.

One small part of a lot of dent removal

Epoxy primered

Firewall Smoothing

Paint on the firewall and Lizard Skin on bottom of the floor

Engine and chassis are in and most of the under-side hook-ups are done.

Interior mocked up and then removed for wiring and Vintage Air install.

Hauled it to the muffler shop and had the exhaust installed.

I'm now working on finishing up the wiring and Vintage Air install.

I had been shooting to have it done in time for our El Camino show in Belton, Texas on April 29th but, I've resigned myself that it's not going to happen. The engine will probably be ready to start (fingers crossed) in a week or two but, there is still a ton of re-assembly to be done - not to mention paint.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 6:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Nice! I wish the progress on my 65 El Camino was progressing as quickly as yours.
JFS65 likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 17, 11:15 PM
Clint

Les, hopefully you will have it done in time for the Fall Goodguys event.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 17, 11:16 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Nice! I wish the progress on my 65 El Camino was progressing as quickly as yours.
Let's get the lead out, Dave. lol Time is a'wasting!

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 17, 6:18 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Thanks David

Seems like it's taking forever. I recently went back to Vintage Air for a missing part and was reminded that I purchased their AC conversion almost 2 years ago.

Looks like I'm not going to have it done for our Belton show on April 29th but, it may be ready for a trip to Pismo Beach in August and will, for sure, be done for the Fall Goodguys show here in Fort Worth.

Do you have a build thread on yours?

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 17, 2:43 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Looks like I'm not going to have it done for our Belton show on April 29th but, it may be ready for a trip to Pismo Beach in August and will, for sure, be done for the Fall Goodguys show here in Fort Worth.

Love the build, the quality, the paint, everything!
Funny fact.... I bought my 65 out of Belton Lake Tx! And it is almost the same color too! Bought in September, 2013 and brought back to Pennsylvania.
Keep up the great work. you are an inspiration to me to get moving on mine!

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 17, 4:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Seems like it's taking forever.
You'll be lucky if it only takes you that long.

Gonna be a nice ride. I like the interior, and that body color you plan to use will be a winner.

Unsolicited advice section: I recommend putting modern style control arms in back, and if they'll fit the braces that tie the upper and lower arm mounts and strengthen up the rear cross member. It'll brake straighter, launch better, and take away slop that might linger from those stamped control arms.

Best of luck. Hope it fires up and is leak free all the way around first turn of the key.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 17, 6:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Thanks David

Seems like it's taking forever. I recently went back to Vintage Air for a missing part and was reminded that I purchased their AC conversion almost 2 years ago.

Do you have a build thread on yours?
Hey Les, I do not have a build thread although I suppose I should start one. I do have a little over a hundred photos I've taken over the past couple of years. I opted to stay with a BBC rather than go with an LS although I did have a bunch of late model LS7 parts. The engine is an aluminum 565 Dart with AFR315CNC heads, Callies Magnum 4.25" crank, Callies Ultra 6.535" rods, Accufab 2000 CFM 4-bbl throttle body on an Edelbrock Super Victor EFI intake, Holley Dominator EFI w/distributorless Coil-near-plug ignition, custom ATI Superdamper with 60-2 trigger shell, Lemons headers, Dual disc clutch, gForce T56 w/2.71, 1.79, 1.30, 1.00, 0.86, 0.75 gear ratios, 12-bolt w/3.55's, Wavetrac Limited Slip and Moser 35-spline axels, Ricks Tanks Vapor Works tank w/Cadillac CTSV pump module . . . . . . and the list goes on!

All of the body work is complete and it has been primed and sealed in GM Victory Red with the cowl/core support/underbody/inner fenders etc. satin black. Chassis/suspension/rear end are all powder coated gloss black. Wheels are my original Fikse Profil 5S 17x9.5 rear and 17x8 front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-Body_on_Chassis_red_sealer_coat_11_03-30-2017s.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	432065   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-Body_on_Chassis_red_sealer_coat_12_03-30-2017s.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	432073  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 17, 7:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Hey Les, I do not have a build thread although I suppose I should start one. I do have a little over a hundred photos I've taken over the past couple of years. I opted to stay with a BBC rather than go with an LS although I did have a bunch of late model LS7 parts. The engine is an aluminum 565 Dart with AFR315CNC heads, Callies Magnum 4.25" crank, Callies Ultra 6.535" rods, Accufab 2000 CFM 4-bbl throttle body on an Edelbrock Super Victor EFI intake, Holley Dominator EFI w/distributorless Coil-near-plug ignition, custom ATI Superdamper with 60-2 trigger shell, Lemons headers, Dual disc clutch, gForce T56 w/2.71, 1.79, 1.30, 1.00, 0.86, 0.75 gear ratios, 12-bolt w/3.55's, Wavetrac Limited Slip and Moser 35-spline axels, Ricks Tanks Vapor Works tank w/Cadillac CTSV pump module . . . . . . and the list goes on!

All of the body work is complete and it has been primed and sealed in GM Victory Red with the cowl/core support/underbody/inner fenders etc. satin black. Chassis/suspension/rear end are all powder coated gloss black. Wheels are my original Fikse Profil 5S 17x9.5 rear and 17x8 front.
Impressive build sheet!!

That will be fun, and nice to look at.

Who's front suspension is on there?

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 17, 10:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
Impressive build sheet!!

That will be fun, and nice to look at.

Who's front suspension is on there?
It's Global West extended travel coil-over with ATS AFX tall spindles and Wilwood 13" rotors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Frame_07-05-2013_3s.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	432137  
Schwany likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 17, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
It's Global West extended travel coil-over with ATS AFX tall spindles and Wilwood 13" rotors.
Thanks

I thought I saw Global West stickers. I like what you did. Definitely not common on a '65 El Camino around here.

Real envious of you guys with the space and freedom to do the show work. Beautiful stuff.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 7:20 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:

Wow David!! That looks great. I don't think I'll be ashamed of mine when it's done but, it's not built to that level. I went back with mostly stock suspension parts, except for all poly graphite bushings and bigger sway bars.

The LS motor was a no-brainer for me. I'm a huge LS fan (I've owned 5 LS powered Corvettes) and I bought this LS2 before I bought the 65 Elky - with the thought of putting it in my 83. When the 65 came along, it kinda fell in place.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm anxious to see the finished project.

Les

83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in