El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 264 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 13, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

Hi guys, got some photos now, I called Jegs, Summit and CPP and emailed a couple of places; nobody could steer me straight on what to do for front coil-over springs, but a couple did say to check with RideTech. Called and emailed RideTech and kinda got me there, so I called and emailed Hyperco. They set me straight, and then RideTech confirmed them when they did finally answer.

So for the shocks, I went with coil-overs by Afco #3840F/BNC
and the springs are HyperCoils 2.5"x10" @ 750lb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 0912131949.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	120577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	120585  

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 264 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 13, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I bought Wilwood CPB calipers and brackets and it wasn't worth the backflips I'd be doing to make them fit, so went to CPP for there cailper with E-brake.
Finally something fit without any issues; isn't that refreshing???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	120593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 1019131210.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	120601  

Paulie

post #63 of 264 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 13, 5:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Here, after I had cleaned up and painted the missing stock arm areas, I am putting on the new upper arms. Later after a four lb. hammer adj. I could get the new lower arms to go in. Finally starting to look like something; little by little.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	120961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	120969  

Paulie

post #64 of 264 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 13, 7:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Looking very nice

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #65 of 264 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 9:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
Red face Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

Ray, thank you so much, looking at your frame pictures and the pressure washing; it put such a big smile on my face because you've traveled my road and know where I'm at don't you?

Wow what a job you've done, and all that you went through too, even down to seat frames, etc.

I really can appreciate your 70, amazing job Ray

Building my car is lonely in that there's no car buddies around to relate.
I just keep posting, thank you all for your support!

Paulie

post #66 of 264 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 9:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Here's two shots of last nights efforts, I got the shocks and spindles on.

The top arm just touches the frame at full drop, but I'll see how it is after it's aligned and fully completed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of IMG_0088.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	122034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0100.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	122042  

Paulie

post #67 of 264 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 13, 7:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I just ordered 2 Howe extended lower ball joints from Mark at SC & C, nice guy. Maybe that will be enough get the top arm to not touch the frame. So that's 1.5" taller now, a half inch from the top arm spacers, but I'm wondering if you count that. A 1/2" tall upper and a 1/2" lower ball joint.

Paulie

post #68 of 264 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 13, 10:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Thank you for your complements. I have traveled the road you are on. Keep posting so we can watch your progress and it also helps to keep you motivated to keep moving on. Looking forward to following your progress.

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #69 of 264 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 13, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Well, I got the ball joints and as everyone says, they are really nice. Talking with Marcus the spacers on the top arms don't count in the spindle height, so I am okay with an inch. Hope to add the front SS brake lines from RightStuff and run the rear Jegs SS lines over the holidays. I picked out a flat top master cylinder from Tuff Stuff but waiting on restock of #TFS 2024NC @ Pace in ohio. Still looking at line locks...

Paulie

post #70 of 264 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 14, 7:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Update cause works been busy, Got the Hurst line lock, got the chrome master cylinder after six weeks from Tuff Stuff, got the CPP chrome proporting valve and now the bracket from Wilwood with the little brake lines to it but I'll have the fit it up with adapters cause the line ends are the wrong size but that's all I could get, tried cpp, right stuff and ebay they must all source china crap cause it's all bad; either the brackets are poor or the lines are incorrect... lot of refunds and sorrys.

I took the lower arms back off the change the lower ball joints to the longer Howes joints and painted the spindles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0129_2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	152882  

Paulie

post #71 of 264 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 14, 8:12 AM
Tech Team
Nick

Liking the progress and the updates, suspension looks great. Keep at it..
post #72 of 264 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 14, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Thanks Nick.

I just finished reading through the great -Jeep Box upgrade- https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...light=jim+shea
And ordered the 95' JGC pump to add to the build. I was going to run a manual box for simplicity but this is a no brainer. Then I can get a March pulley set-up with a type II pump.

I haven't posted but been busy, I put on the rear brake kit that uses the caddy calipers with the E brake and it wouldn't fit inside my 15" rim. The 11" rotor and brackets would drag on the stock 14" rim as expected, but after adding the caliper and tried to put the rims on; surprise!! Mucho grinding

Paulie

post #73 of 264 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I just pulled the old 60's box off, pretty straight forward. Gotta laugh; even after the hosing, pressure cleaning, sand blasting, I still found cactus/clay behind the gear box. (Road Kill Texas car)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	181545  

Paulie

post #74 of 264 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 8:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Hi, I haven't posted but have been working on the underside body now. This summer I finished the power steering. Last month I changed out the rear stainless brake line to the rear for a steel line. I couldn't flare that stainless. I welded a center mounting bracket to the rear frame for the stainless flex line. I mounted the brass T to the rear and made short hard lines out to the four link brackets. I welded tabs to each bracket and ran stainless flex lines out to each caliper. Boy am I glad that's done. Add a driveshaft and the frame is done.

Now it's body time, the inside floor looks great but the underside had the seams from the patch panels so I cut off the extra lip underneath as tight as I could, body hammered the tunnel and patch seams flat and used all metal body filler to clean it up. Doing good.

Paulie

post #75 of 264 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 14, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jay

sweet build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in