El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 264 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

Shane, thanks, ya I'm excited again. Man I want to finish this and drive it. I'm gonna be 50 this year but times sliding away on getting it done. More a money thing I guess.

Hey you did a great job on your make over I see. Love that color too. I've had a burgundy 65 Bonneville 2dht/white interior and a dark cherry 96 SS as well.

You know, that's the funny thing about this el Camino; this time I can't settle on a color. Maybe when it's together in primer, I don't know. I planned this 69 out methodically as to what works as a killer combo, but color maybe needs to come to me as I feel the personality of it after driving it. House of color brandywine or an deep aqua I've considered.

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 264 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 9:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

My Pontiac buddy jogged my memory back to mechanical on the clutch linkage, bought two height bearings and an adjustable pivot bolt last week, now I just have to pull the tranny/ engine back out and body off. Now I can order the driveshaft too. Sand blast the frame and epoxy it, do my brake lines etc......

Paulie

post #48 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 13, 7:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

This last weekend I put the car back up and pulled the trans out and ordered the bearing collar, speedo plug and both wiring plugs for the T-56 from D & D Performance. Seem like good folks.

Paulie

post #49 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 12:51 AM
Tech Team
Bobby

So COOL
NSF

My "Little Mule"

post #50 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Nice little mule there Not so Fast. I envy you guys that can turn the key and drive...

Paulie

post #51 of 264 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Pulled the tranny out to change the flexplate to the flywheel. That went well, my first time working with a clutch. Had to wait this week for a new clutch fork as I snapped off the spring, slipping it over the pivot bolt, extra brittle. It was a new Jegs piece. Now I'm glad it broke right away and not later, Got a McCleod fork this time. I'll try again to test fit the throw-out/ clutch clearances.

Ordered a set of lower tube control arms yesterday, next tall spindles and SC&C top arms later. It's hard to stay focused when I have so many things to get but the deal came now so... get it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission 039.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	82601  

Paulie

post #52 of 264 (permalink) Old May 19th, 13, 8:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Got the lower arms and they are quite strong, Coil-overs or air ride suspension???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 024.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	84521  

Paulie

post #53 of 264 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 13, 7:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

July already... Well schools out and the grandson came down for the summer break and helps me work on it. The motors back in a cradle and the trans is fitted with a bearing and fork now, setting up on the work table. I lifted off the body so I can do the frame. Here a short clip link.

http://youtu.be/i18H7y316T8

Paulie

post #54 of 264 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Here I blasted the frame, then wire wheeled, then sanded in, shot with SV epoxy (high build) primer. Sanded it down, repaint, sand, repaint, etc...
I bought the satin Chassis Black from Eastwood thru Jegs and shot the frame with two coats. Sure looks like gloss to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	98073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	98081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	98089  

Paulie

post #55 of 264 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I found the bearing collar at D&D Performance. I'm using the RAM 495 bearing and a McCleod fork. The Bell is the new QuickTime #6023P for a manual set-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of Transmission 003.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	98097  

Paulie

post #56 of 264 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 13, 5:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

While waiting for parts I wheeled the 44+ years of undercoating off, man what a mess, I even had to clean off the washer and dryer in the garage
Don't try that without using a good 3m filtered mask and goggles. So glad it was coated though, I'd rather clean, than cut out and replace from rust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	98705  

Paulie

post #57 of 264 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 13, 6:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Like Christmas in July, I received the SPC top C.A.'s and they are awesome. I got the pro-lite ones and they really are lite, maybe a couple of pounds each. They feel really well made. But a wheel stand or two will tell.
They come with spacers to lower the ball joint to clear the frame. I really wanted to run 17"+ rims on all fours, but the rim only came in a 14" wide, in a 15". Might get 18" rims to run the sportsman S/R radials and sell off the 15"s; not sure yet.

Anyways the tall spindle won't fit a 15" rim so I've read, so I'm going to assemble it with the spacers and see what I have clearance wise. I'd rather go the tall spindle route than the ball joints but I'll have to see what I got.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	98729  

Paulie

post #58 of 264 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 13, 9:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Hi, now it's brake time, I pulled the axle to see how things line up or not and clocking mine to the two o'clock ought to work with the E-cable stuff. The front lines were trash so all new will do, I really don't like running brake lines, just something about it I guess. Jegs has the Right Stuff preformed front lines in stainless ,so the front I'll order and run the rear lines cause nothing I buy will fit anymore with the back halved and a Dana. They sell the gravel guard coil sleeve by the foot too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0810131920.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	104209  

Paulie

post #59 of 264 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 13, 8:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
kenneth

Paulie I finally added some pics of my work on my 71!
post #60 of 264 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 13, 9:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

August; Hot and humid, tried to work on brakes, I got some done but mostly ended up soaken wet. I drilled out the rotor holes for the 1/2" rear studs, and cut the steel for the brake brackets to weld up.

I ordered a Right Stuff stainless front lines kit and a roll and nuts for the front to the back out of 1/4" stuff. Also ordered the ProForgred tall ball joints for the front. That will give me something to play with next week; it should start cooling down soon no pics

Paulie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in