El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 259 (permalink) Old May 30th, 12, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

Just a picture of the rear-end going back to the builder for final bracket welding. It seemed pretty heavy this time putting it in the trunk, I must be getting soft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	53554  

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 259 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I brought the Dana 60 back and painted it aluminum rustoleum. The brackets are welded around the tube really nice now; take what you can't do to the pro's, it's money well spent. After the paint dries I'll try to reinstall the pig this weekend yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	general 003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	54107  

Paulie

post #33 of 259 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 12, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Last weekend I put the rear end back in, and this weekend I cut square 1" stock to make a fuel cell bracket to hang the cell at the rear frame area.
I have a 15 gal. RCI cell and a bracket kit. The cell is well made but they must import the bracket kit because its skewed front to back when tighten on the tank; just how they bent it. It is level with the bottom edge of the frame but today I pulled out the roll-over vent and it sticks up a good 2 1/2"; so I'm gonna need to put spacers to lower the cell an inch to stay below the bed. (measure twice, cut once) The rear sump fittings just cleared the frames round crossbar nicely but now they'll be a inch lower than planned. I rolled the car outside to measure a rough length for a new fuel line but was soaked in five minutes with the outside heat. Gonna be an evening job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0630122114.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	54547  

Paulie

post #34 of 259 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 4:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Sorry nada too freakin hot

Paulie

post #35 of 259 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 12, 9:43 AM
Tech Team
Tim

Paulie
Awsome project / Looks GREAT !
My wife and I have a 69 Big Block Camino too .
Can't wait to see the rest of the Elky come together.
Keep us in the loop
post #36 of 259 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Added some pictures of the tunnel cut and extend, and the filler cap around the shifter area I formed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of El Camino resto 001.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	58719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of El Camino resto 108.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	58720  

Paulie

post #37 of 259 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 12, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Here's a picture of the headers added. Why are they always never easy
A my friend Bill helped me fit them to work with the head studs. We pre-lubed the motor well and spun it. The distributor is just posing, not set yet but looks good so far. Working on the exhaust now but will have to remake the cross member now. The header collectors ended up close to the cross-member and much wider. I bought a 3" s-bend set of pipes from flowmaster but then the mufflers don't line up with the rear exh. circles through the frame. I'm just trying to start it up before the years end and running into all the glitzes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of El Camino resto 122.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	58721  

Paulie

post #38 of 259 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 12, 7:11 AM
Tech Team
Nick

Keep at it Paulie, that's gonna be an awesome ride before long. I'm finding with mine that I'm enjoying the process so I don't have to be in such a rush. At first I was frustrated because I'm pretty goal driven but then I gave up on the goals and just enjoyed the moments and the build.
post #39 of 259 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 12, 8:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I've been working alot and not much time for wrenching but have bought alot to get the
engine fired up; A box of AN fittings and hard lines, 3" exhaust pipes and super turbo mufflers, , MSD bushings and shims, all the little things you run into, so, I'm going to get moving pretty quickly soon. I wante to start it before years end but life butts in and clogs the flow of things. I'm encouraged about next year 2013.

Paulie

post #40 of 259 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 6:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Well I've worked on the fuel lines and fittings and finished the supply and return lines to the cell. I found a use for a breather I had on a shelf for years on the roll over vent line: ha !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frame Pictures 047.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	60250  

Paulie

post #41 of 259 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 9:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I pulled off the passenger side header to heat tape the wires and boots. The drivers side fits great and the wires fit fine underneath; they are 2" Doug's headers but the passenger side is really tight and needed a beat down in several places being much tighter to the head and frame.
I wonder if Hooker comps or super comps fit any better on the right side? Anybody got a picture of them and how they fit?

I clocked the mini starter straight down and hooked up a bump switch to it(the car has no wiring). I added a junction block to run a hot wire up and connected the alternator. I'll get an Optima and mount it under the bed correctly later. I'm using short temporary cables and going to use my car battery just to fire it up. I want to hear it run; I've waited years.
Then I'll pull the body and detail the frame, add the brakes, get the Ram #80-2125N clutch and Denny's nitrous ready drive-shaft. That's this years goals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine 002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	60255  

Paulie

post #42 of 259 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 13, 7:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I just finished the shorty exhaust. It was easier to remake the cross-member than to contort 3" exhaust. I had Art Morrison bent one 7" wider than there ready made piece for my big block width. Works great now. It doesn't look like there's much to them, but they contour tight to the car and stop just through the rear frame holes at the four link for now. I'll add an H-pipe and run out the back later as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of Engine 009.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	60449  

Paulie

post #43 of 259 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 9:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

It's alive
My superbowl sunday was in the driveway wrenching on my engine. Fired it up after eight years of patiently turning it like a bottle of wine.
Had a freeze plug seeping and two carb fuel drips. Fixed those and had to jump the distributor a tooth because of my vacuum can hitting the intake where she wanted to run. A shot of starting fluid and ran it, I felt like a young father again in the hospital babyroom. I stopped when the plastic oil line for the sender had enough heat.

Have no idea which team won; but I did Sunday!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	El Camino resto 124.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	60728  

Paulie

post #44 of 259 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 1:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I've been back and forth with Ram clutches and got their 80-2125N Dual clutch set-up. The N is the 900 series material I needed for the nitrous. Turns out the LS version of the T-56 I have uses a hydrallic throw-out #78160. Not sure what slave cylinder to get.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0210131520.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	61069  

Paulie

post #45 of 259 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 7:19 PM
Tech Team
shane

cool deal! glad to see you making progress. makes it all worth the effort when it starts to come together.

Shane Doss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in