El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #301 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 5:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

Today I got to work on the bed. I bought this nibbler and love it. It makes no mess and cuts clean and straight, leaving the sheet edge flat needing very little prep afterwords. The 14 ga. sheet was at the edge of the tools capacity but careful use did the job. So now the plate is to size now. I laid underneath and traced out the ribbing to the bottom of the plate with a pencil ✏️. Now I can see where to drill holes for putting plug welds from the top. Glad thatís over. Just minor fitting when I start making the tubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	619424   Click image for larger version

Name:	54B3EBE0-4677-446F-B6E5-B2B620367BA1.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	619426  
123pugsy likes this.

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Now that it starts and is roughly drivable, I stopped into auto zone for a bottle of lead substitute to put in the tank.

I got to talking with a guy there and I said Iím getting ready to think about plates, insurance and stuff. He said heís got a 65 Malibu he runs at the track, street and car shows, etc. He said a better way is to run Wa Wa non ethanol, and VP 110 in a 50/50 mix. We talked about tuners and chassis dynos around here locally, plates and insurance, etc. Maybe he was an Angel unawares cause it was just what I needed.
427L88 likes this.

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Good Saturday everyone. I started out early this morning marking out the bed sheet. Then I marked it off with a 2Ē space. Then center punched them.
Next I snapped off 10 or so drill bits making pilot holes before going back over it using the 5/16Ē cobalt bit. The picture shows most of the holes done. I still need to measure up the front area below the back window another day. I went at it until my arms give up. Iím guessing each hole took a few minutes; drilling each twice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E47C75D0-1831-4213-897B-4B319E7B9C71.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	620044  
123pugsy likes this.

Paulie

post #304 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 6:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

that is going to be a TON of spot welds too. Nice work.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #305 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Hey Bob, ever have second thoughts afterwards lol 😂 yeah I could have used a three inch space. Or maybe gone to a four inch space, it woulda been enough. Well, it will be well tided together.

The two bed doors came yesterday, one 8x12Ē for over the battery box and another 10x10Ē for a box I gotta make behind the driver side to put wax, rags etc. I gonna go work on the Tubs today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	44D3E027-8229-495F-A201-8E05C75CD774.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	620882  
Philip and rmc65elco like this.

Paulie

post #306 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 1:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

LOL. It is like the old engineers moto - If more is better then too much is close to enough.
rmc65elco likes this.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #307 of 316 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 2:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
LOL. It is like the old engineers moto - If more is better then too much is close to enough.
Yup.

Saturday was a waste, I put the fenders Iím using into the rear well and they stand way too tall so I pie clipped the top edge and went to weld them and welder wouldnít work. It turns out AirGas didnít give me a C25 argon mix, he gave me nitrogen compressed. I trusted he knew what he was doing and hooked it up, not even looking at the label. But hereís a picture of the fender before and after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0B0CC19E-EFAC-4F04-8DD9-BCEB9FD946F3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	621254  
123pugsy and rmc65elco like this.

Paulie

post #308 of 316 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

This last weekend I fired up the air compressor to grind and re-weld the wheel tubs and the compressor kept running. Turns out the regulator that was leaking had an accomplice. One of the two ancient Sharpe filters split. So I upped for a three stage set-up from pneumatics plus. So thatís on the way for next weekend. Itís hard to see but I popped in a set of cowl screens from SS396. Today I scrubbed up the lower windshield molding with some Barkeepers friend. Itís got wiper blade scrapes but I might try something to smooth it out better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8D632EB0-D6A4-43FA-99CD-E53B8CCD574E.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	625720  
123pugsy likes this.

Paulie

post #309 of 316 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 6:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

The old repairman's lament - before I fix the part is broken, first I have to fix the tool I need to fix the part that is broken. Hope you enjoy your new compressor.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #310 of 316 (permalink) Old May 7th, 20, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
The old repairman's lament - before I fix the part is broken, first I have to fix the tool I need to fix the part that is broken. Hope you enjoy your new compressor.

Thanks Bob you know it. I had to laugh. My wife said to me; see you were given another opportunity to gain patience. Arenít wives great. With every obstacle and delay Iíve endured over this fifteen year build she pops that out at me. Iíve either been worn to a nub, or Iím finally getting some, cause I just smiled and agreed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9B14E0A7-017F-4D5D-A19E-80A9FEE2E1A7.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	625952  
427L88 likes this.

Paulie

post #311 of 316 (permalink) Old May 8th, 20, 8:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Paulie, that oil water separator system looks sweet. Need something like that down here in FL with all the humidity. In my shop in PA I used something similar, and then also had another filter that could be quick connected at a use point for using spray guns. It looked like a big roll of brown toilet paper and captured that last little bit of moisture. Are you going to run airlines around the shop. There is that special airline tubing, but I just used 3/4" L copper. Cheap and easy, and works good. Down here now all I have for a compressor is a small pancake unit that will pump up some tires. No space for my bead blaster anymore. Enjoy.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #312 of 316 (permalink) Old May 15th, 20, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Bob it seems to work well, but I havenít spent a humid afternoon yet. I retained the long binks condenser before it. I just ordered a cross fitting to add before this new assembly so Iíll have a tank pressure hose coupler and put the binks gauge back on top.
I havenít had time to spend in the garage lately, been working 12ís and Saturdayís.

Paulie

post #313 of 316 (permalink) Old May 15th, 20, 3:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

What - It gets humid in Florida. Who knew. LOL. Our weather will test that thing for sure. Just found out it looks like I did not put enough sealant around the shifter on top of the T56 when I installed it and it is leaking. What a pita. Now I have to pull half the interior to get to the top of the trans to reseal. Oh well, am stuck at home anyway.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #314 of 316 (permalink) Old May 16th, 20, 5:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Wow.

Paulie

post #315 of 316 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 7:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Raining, all the day. Looks like an inside job
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A312FEF0-7855-499F-967C-E3FF19AEAC5E.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	627844  

Paulie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in