El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 7:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Send a message via MSN to steve_sutherland
Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

That is looking awesome, I have always love el caminos with some serious tire under it! The big block and 6 speed should be some serious fun!

70 El Camino- Turbo lq9, 78/75 turbo, 3" A2A intercooler, walbro 450, SD 80 lbs injectors- street car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 10:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Great thread Paulie. Keep them coming. wish I went with a rear section like that for my Elky now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Change is not always progress.... A fever of newness had been everywhere confused with the spirit of progress." -Henry Ford
post #18 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Thanks Steve, I'll try. I like the big rubber look too. I'm limited to bias ply with these rears; kinda kicking myself now. I had planned on the S/R Sportsman Radials, should have stuck with radials but I wanted max traction, but didn't realize how few bias tires there are left. I don't like the skinnies up front. I'm redoing the front end later, might do some Touring.

Paulie

post #19 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 5:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Whoa Dave, your 66 is flawless, I have so far to go from ugliness it's laughable. That exhaust really caught my eye. Are the headers chromed?

Paulie

post #20 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I was reading a chassis book on how to set-up your driveline phasing and remembered back when I was transfering my measurements of the car to the floor with a string bob/plumb to figure out my new rear frame and rear-end locations, I was wishing there was a laser tool like those spinning laser levels you see now, that would help, rather than remeasuring to see if I was straight or square. Now that I'm ready to weld-up a Art Morrison tube crossmember for the transmission, I gotta go through that again. Then I looked for some kind of laser pointer online and couldn't find much shy of a grand. I knew what I wanted to do so I fumbled my way through tonight and made some pointers I can use on the yokes. Waste two mintues and see the video on U tube.

http://youtu.be/RBYaAkQMSE0

Maybe they sell something but I couldn't find it. I still have to use the magnetic angle finder to get degree measurements for one plane but front to back I can use these pointers on the second plane so they are phased. You open a panadora's box when you change everything.

Paulie

post #21 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

This weekend I worked on the transmission cross-member. The stock one doesn't work with a T-56 without modifying it and it's bulky. I was looking at the X-Factor cross-members American Powertrain had for a Camaro and emailed them last year when they would do one for a Chevelle and they said it was not ready. I looked again and they got some thing I could make myself instead of that nice aluminum one for the other cars. G-force is nice but too Heavy. Then I found Art Morrison had a heavy wall tube C-member with exhaust rise and weldable. That was it. 80 bucks too.

I have the trans in position and I'm holding up this long c-member up against the frame and holding the bracket against the mount; fine. Weld it up and go back under to see how much of the ends I have to cut off for it to fit up into the frame and realize once it's up level the mounts to high. #*! -gotta cut the mount off, and flip it to the bottom. Idiot ! Ha, Learn from my mistake. I used Energy Suspension engine/trans mounts, the trany mount for me was visible about 1/8" below the frame viewed frame to frame. It comes with brackets for each side to unbolt the C-member easily.
http://

Paulie

post #22 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 11:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
kenneth

seems like trail and error still holds true,but it seems like your still working toward the end game it should help with some one else who wants to do the horses under the hood with learned from experiecne!
post #23 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 12, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Ha Ha Ken, that's so true. I guess if we knew it all, it'd be kinda boring. I'm trying today to get the engine/trans lined up front to back so I can get my side to side position of this cross member. String bobbing the car again to the floor to find center, then I can see how much the engine is off-center, to the side.

Paulie

post #24 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 12, 6:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
kenneth

post #25 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 12, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockPaulie View Post
Whoa Dave, your 66 is flawless, I have so far to go from ugliness it's laughable. That exhaust really caught my eye. Are the headers chromed?
Sorry Paulie I have been away for a while. No not chrome. The exhaust is silver hi temp exhaust paint. The headers are hooker ceramic coat and the collectors are stainless.
Dave

"Change is not always progress.... A fever of newness had been everywhere confused with the spirit of progress." -Henry Ford
post #26 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 12, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

Nice build thread, it's gonna be a handful.

TC Member # 4431
'07.5 Chevrolet 2500HD-6.6 D-Max
'02 Ford Excursion-7.3 PSD
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- BB 427/TH400/10 bolt (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 (His)

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people. And they are more useful in general.
post #27 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 12, 7:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Paulie,

Thanks for sharing. Looking good.

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #28 of 244 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 12, 4:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I did cut the cross-member this last weekend and welded one side of the frame brackets, but ran out of argon gas for the mig. I welded the brackets 3/16's back farther for an added bellhousing block protector plate and a mid-plate. I'll still have to pull the engine/trans in and out a few more times yet but at least the frame brackets will be finished. The rear-end brackets need to be tack welded in place after I get my angles fixed. Then I'll run the rear-end back to the builder to have him weld the four link mounts on the tubes in place; then the driveline will be good to go. Then I can pull the body off and do the frame up nice with brake lines, fuel lines, fuel-cell and frame painting. -Still saving for the clutch.

Paulie

post #29 of 244 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I finished fabricating the crossmember. I welded the other set of tabs to the frame and it slips right up and bolts in. I'm glad nothing hangs down where you would say; whats that? The raised humps for the exhaust are about a 1/4" from the floor. With that conquered I remeasured the rear in the car and was off 1/2" to the pass. side, so I had to get the wife to push on the side while I wiggled the rear pinion up and down to slide the tubes in the brackets. Once I got the side to side, and resquared the rear to the center, I pulled up the pinion to two degrees up and tacked the tubes to the 4-link brackets and rolled it outside. Even the wife came out and said it looked like something now. Now I can pull the rear out and have the shop nicely weld the brackets on. The Dana tubes are 3/8" thick and my garage mig can't melt them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 0505121314a.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	52914  

Paulie

post #30 of 244 (permalink) Old May 25th, 12, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Wow it's been rainy, I did pull out the rear-end again to get the four link brackets welded. Off at the rear-end builder here in Ft. Lauderdale; Gears and Rears Inc. Does great work but slow is an understatement. It could set there a month. While the rears off, I can work on the tunnel hump surgery. no new pics

Paulie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in