ID:	583812  

Click image for larger version

Name:	216837D2-2AC7-407A-BF8B-B0F52C2175EC.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	583814  
oliver69 likes this.

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 264 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 2:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
Re: Paulie's 69 El Camino build

It came out alright, the carpet should cover it ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	345FFB45-FF84-48F6-B429-B08CBCB50EE7.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	583816   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFC3D009-8B32-45DB-9876-051E11B226F3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	583818  
oliver69 likes this.

Paulie

post #228 of 264 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 6:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Today I cut the seat bracket holes in the back carpet and add the dampener up the back wall. Last night I made two plates to close off the interior back wall. I caulked around it and screwed them on, then covered in the dampener today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0CB156F2-ED2F-4603-8705-B1418F91BB63.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	584002  

Paulie

post #229 of 264 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Brake lines and wiring! I seriously dislike both. But I did it. The dash wiring has been haunting me and today I conquered my inadequacy. I ran the bulbs together and wired in the dash harnesses and added the different terminals to the gauges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41950D1A-71D9-498B-8DD0-71DB7C006FA4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	585248  

Paulie

post #230 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 6:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Headliner is going in, I asked my daughter to give me a hand getting this headliner clipped up. Iíve never done a headliner so we just clipped it up before I add the glue. Still messing with the stubborn wrinkles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEC3BBAA-06BB-47FA-AE4D-EBA2622E109B.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	592502  

Paulie

post #231 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Garage

Let it sit like that a day or two. Then stretch it some more. The wrinkles will work out more each time it is stretched.
LeoP and BigBlockPaulie like this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #232 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 8:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Let it sit like that a day or two. Then stretch it some more. The wrinkles will work out more each time it is stretched.
Thank you Philip! So it will relax. Good. Some points are really tight and still couldnít get the center to pull flat. Iíll check it in a few days and snug it again. Iím sure others will follow and benefit. I put off doing the headliner because it needs finesse. Itís not like changing out a part. Once my daughter got involved it went far easier with extra hands. The extra material thatís wrapped on the back needs to be notched and cut off close to a half inch extra. The notching let the door area flatten out after I did that.

Paulie

post #233 of 264 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 9:24 AM
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockPaulie View Post
Headliner is going in, I asked my daughter to give me a hand getting this headliner clipped up. Iíve never done a headliner so we just clipped it up before I add the glue. Still messing with the stubborn wrinkles.
I stumbled on to a system on You-Tube - that I can't find now - using 2" strips of door-jamb windlace as clamps. It worked great. I tried the binder clips, like you have, first and, it didn't work for me either. I thought I had pictures of the process, on my 65 but, I can't find them either.

I bought a spool of windlace on-line - it's cheap - and cut it into 2" strips. I started working front and back from the center and worked my out, about 1/2 way from center to each side and then the same process from the center above each door opening working to front and back. You can do this by yourself but, if you have a helper to hold the headliner material stretched toward the corners as you work your way out, it will be a lot easier.

If you apply glue to a small section at a time then stretch the headliner material with one hand and press the piece of windlace up to hold it into place, the windlace will further stretch the material as you push on it - unlike trying to clamp it with the binder clips. I clamped a 2" section, skipped 2" as I worked my way around. After you get sections stretched and clamped in the center - front and back and on each side, you should be able to work your way to the corners - without wrinkles.

Good luck, let us know how it work out
Philip likes this.

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #234 of 264 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Les thatís a good idea, I bought 20 ft of windlace prior, Iíll try it on the front.

Paulie

post #235 of 264 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 1:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Well I had changed each of the new, now rusty pulleys, to the H.P. deep groove pulleys; the belts were on and everything fit. Mentally marking that as conquered.
Then I decided to get a Vintage Air set-up while the tax return was coming. Some of you reading might be smiling because you know the HP pulleys wonít work, they donít have the extra AC pulley on them. DOH!! Well that was a crash and burn for me, it felt like this is never gonna work, run or go to car shows, one change creates other mountains. So after the boo hoo I found an AC set and changed them this morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8E8F306A-7E6E-409C-872E-F4CBEBD1AD21.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	594814  
Philip and LeoP like this.

Paulie

post #236 of 264 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 5:39 PM
Administrator

Garage

Hey it happens, we have all experienced similar problems... but we are having fun, right.
LeoP likes this.

63 Nova wagon

post #237 of 264 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

I started putting in the vintage air system today, so far Iím pleased with the build quality of it. I assembled the condenser and lines yesterday. This morning I pulled the right fender off to get access to the blower hole. The instructions are pretty clear to follow with a stock Chevelle/el Camino. I had smoothed the firewall earlier so I had no reference points to mount the evaporator unit other than the front bracket that bolts to the dash. I used the mounting plates bottom two holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09719A9B-F8B7-4256-87D1-68CAE5B94119.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	595368  
123pugsy likes this.

Paulie

post #238 of 264 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

The instructions say to remove the radiator but I saw no point since the core is open in front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AD8FAE7E-B78E-4079-95BE-980B54A0138F.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	595370  
123pugsy likes this.

Paulie

post #239 of 264 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Saturday evening Fedex delivered my A.C. hoses to the house while I was at work. Last weekend I had cut and clocked them to send back to Vintage Air for crimping. The garage is on the west side of the house and itís at 99 degrees currently so I need to wait. My wife comes in from doing the laundry in the garage with a red face but doesnít complain, me I wuss out in the heat. Big pollack I try to cut the yard and do all my outside stuff early before lunch. Then clean up and eat before going to work. I wanted to give a shout out to TONY at Vintage Air; heís just as nice and pleasant on the phone as he is on the videos, what a great guy and company. I would recommend them highly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15A3F08D-C2E0-4B61-94B7-DA3E236ABA5A.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	596362  
123pugsy likes this.

Paulie

post #240 of 264 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Garage

The last install I helped with we used the EZ Clip system. It was nice not having to crimp hoses but the cost stopped me from considering it for future installs. I own a Mastercool crimping tool, has paid for itself in the money saved doing installs.

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in