A/C location - Chevelle Tech
El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:36 AM Thread Starter
Les

A/C location

Did any 69 to 72 chevelle or el camino have the ac on the passenger side from the factory? Any small block chevy from factory with ac on right side? Maybe something I could find and get all brackets for front end of motor, compressor and all. Just thinking it would clean up engine compartment if hoses weren't running all the way across the motor to get to firewall. Modern compressor would be a plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:13 AM Thread Starter
Les

Re: A/C location

I see summit has a serpentine belt solution that looks like it includes pretty much all I'd need, but don't think I want to move it $1549.99 worth.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Junkyard serpentine setup, 1990s pickups, B-Body...

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Junkyard serpentine setup, 1990s pickups, B-Body...
thanks did some more research last night late when I finally got home to my desktop, and was about at the same conclusion, didn't know what years to be looking for though, article I found about it on HotRod mentioned late 80's to mid 90's but didn't get any more specific than that. I'll start my search in the 90's then!

It did mention looking for something with no smog equipment, don't know exactly how that narrows my search down, or what to anyway.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

As you already know 68 was the last year for the compressor being mounted on the passenger side. On a SBC its a short water pump and all pulleys are different. Wiring wouldn't a big deal to move. The condenser mounts in the front and the lines run through the inner fender and connect to the dryer by the battery. Personally I wouldn't do it just to clean up the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	607416  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 9:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmn8r View Post
thanks did some more research last night late when I finally got home to my desktop, and was about at the same conclusion, didn't know what years to be looking for though, article I found about it on HotRod mentioned late 80's to mid 90's but didn't get any more specific than that. I'll start my search in the 90's then!

It did mention looking for something with no smog equipment, don't know exactly how that narrows my search down, or what to anyway.
I used a 1990 C1500 setup, I got it all cheap as a starting point. It had an air pump, but obviously I didn't mount that, and it was a non a/c truck with the giant dummy pulley in its place. There is an alternate hole to mount the idler pulley on below the A/C and you use a different belt without the air pump mounted. I cut off part of the lower passenger side bracket that you would mount the air pump to, because the metal fuel line from the fuel pump would hit it. Now I am EFI, so eh, might have left it...
Things to remember, all cheap from junkyard.
SHORT water pump, REVERSE rotation pump (I think they look identical, but have different vanes on the impeller) and REVERSE rotation FAN. (I almost missed the fan, remembered at last minute)
I have an odd p/s pulley alignment issue, which could be a couple causes. Probably related to pump/pulley/bracket all coming from different years/engines. The guy I got the setup from didn't have the p/s pump any more.
I have since shimmed everything and seems to be good enough.
I put new tensioner and idler pulleys, added A/C, but never finished it. And I have the A/C delete pulley as a backup. I'll never adjust another v-belt, listen to squeak/slip again, got a MUCH better alternator, everything about it is a win, driving wise.
But yeah, it is not the most attractive setup, but nothing under my hood is, I'm function over form under the paint.
One other issue, which is worse with the cheap plastic tanked aluminum radiator I put on, top hose routing is tricky getting it past/around/over/through the alternator. Even more so depending on top hose outlet location. I bodged up a fan shroud from a 1990s pickup, kept hacking away at it and gut it mounted up in 3 pieces. It isn't pretty either, but DANG, I have tons of airflow now, and my cooling issues have gone.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...lt-system.html
check out post 8, that is what I got and worked with.
And when I put it on, it was the perfect time to do the JGC P/S swap, and everything matched hose end wise, no adapters, using a newer Camaro pressure hose.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 1:13 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmn8r View Post
Did any 69 to 72 chevelle or el camino have the ac on the passenger side from the factory? Any small block chevy from factory with ac on right side? Maybe something I could find and get all brackets for front end of motor, compressor and all. Just thinking it would clean up engine compartment if hoses weren't running all the way across the motor to get to firewall. Modern compressor would be a plus
If you donít need factory brackets, I would look at Alan Groveís offerings. You can get bracketry for both long and short water pumps to put the AC on the right side and allows for aftermarket compressors. The cost is very reasonable too. http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Catalog.htm

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in