LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Considering an LS swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
You have any track times? Everyone's butt dyno isn't calibrated the same. 😉
I don't understand what good are track times on a street car.. A street car should be designed to climb hills without the need to build up revs, it also should be able to power torque deep turns, run smoothly and start easily... A compression of 9:1 is usually best for what I like..

A drag car should have max power in a short rpm range.. This doesn't work to well on the street were you need power right off idle..

My butt dyno seems to show more power to the car that carries it around the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Just collecting data. This thread is about considering an LS. A low compression 454 with 2.87 gears does raise an eyebrow as the stats aren't there and it does not sound like a ripper (no offense). Was just asking if you had any track times so I (or we as a directive group) could determine if this was an alternative to the LS platform.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 1:29 PM
Tech Team
Mike

You'll never regret the LS swap...

"LS swap without breaking the bank"

"Project Greenbrier" build thread...

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 6:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Damn 255 Walbro in-tank pump took a dump today...2 hrs total run time.
Wired correctly thru a relay and in a baffled Tanks Inc tank.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:25 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Damn 255 Walbro in-tank pump took a dump today...2 hrs total run time.(
I got burned on a couple knock-off pumps...one Walbro, and a couple AC-Delco ep381's...Chinese or Jap origin when I finely go to the bottom of it. (All three boxed in perfectly printed "OE" looking boxes.)

Did yours come with the tank??

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Could be.
Bought the complete kit...pump, gauge sending unit, regulator, hose, fittings, hangers, and tank... from Tanks Inc.

Thinking about simplifying things and install the Holley 12-300 into the stock tank.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:44 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

And need to get that air filter moved into cooler air... 4" piping needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS3.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	598344  

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 9:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Some fuel pumps aren't able to handle full time full voltage and current, they need PWM power. Check with the maker. Externally mounted in-line pumps will run hotter, more so if it's powered with full time full voltage and current.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 11:40 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

No! Don't look into the light! LS motors are ugly and have no place in an old car. It's your car so do what you want, but there's nothing wrong with an old school BBC or SBC, or fuel injected old school.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal S/S rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050", .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger on E85
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:27 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve69ss396 View Post
no! Ls motors are ugly and have no place in an old car.

lol!!!

Yeah, this perfectly executed swap is really hard on the eyes...
Attached Images

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 8:58 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Some fuel pumps aren't able to handle full time full voltage and current, they need PWM power. Check with the maker. Externally mounted in-line pumps will run hotter, more so if it's powered with full time full voltage and current.
Yes, both Tanks Inc and FiTech have specific PWM setting recommendations for this combo.
Need to set PWM to 100, which I have.

I've got a new Tanks Inc pump being delivered today...a GPA-5.
Went up one size.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 6:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Yes, both Tanks Inc and FiTech have specific PWM setting recommendations for this combo.
Need to set PWM to 100, which I have.

I've got a new Tanks Inc pump being delivered today...a GPA-5.
Went up one size.

That Walbro pump should have held up, but stuff happens. I've been running a Walbro GSL-392 external inline pump just in front of my stock tank for going on 3 years. It does not run hot, it doesn't even run warm, and it is at 100% PWM, which equates to no PWM.

BTW - My external pump has Made in USA stamped into the case. I guess knock offs could do the same, but I don't know. Bought 2 of them from Summit. One is sitting in the box in a tool bag behind the passenger's seat of my sled. Still waiting for the other one to fail. Knock on aluminum.

Best of luck with the new pump.

Forgot to add. I'm too lazy to do a LS swap, and I've thought about every time I pull the 350 out to work on it. Last time I pulled the front end off, and that would have been the perfect time, but talked myself out of it, and put a retro roller, and some new bearings in the ole gen 1. The gen 1 5.7 makes enough tire smoke to satisfy me. Racing and getting time slips is not in the cards. Maybe 30 years ago, not now though. My eye sight and reaction times were a lot better 30 years ago.
BillsCamino likes this.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 19, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

a stock high miles 5.3 isnt anything Id spend a lot of money on and 290hp wont feel the least bit impressive, something to think about.
think about it...150k miles is the min most these truck motors will ahve on them that is a TON of miles
Mine has 186k and still runs smooth but compared to new? shes tired

If you want a reliable 350-400hp that is so easily done with a modern head/roller cam these days.
HEI, mech fuel pump its foolproof. Some of the new carbs out are pretty much set and forget

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 19, 12:44 PM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Just collecting data. This thread is about considering an LS. A low compression 454 with 2.87 gears does raise an eyebrow as the stats aren't there and it does not sound like a ripper (no offense). Was just asking if you had any track times so I (or we as a directive group) could determine if this was an alternative to the LS platform.
A bunch of my racing buddies run these.

Mid 80's Cutlass...stock other than swapped cam and valve springs, small [email protected] Motor has 255K on it.

S10 Blazer stock with cam, valvesprings and running a carb small turbo....9.85 not sure on the mph Neither one of these are turned up very much.

With the new Holley Terminator X setup, now they are literally plug and play. No more stock computer reprogramming and harness rewiring....I may pull the 454 out of the wagon over the winter and swap.

Already have a "built" 6.0 waiting to swap in the 71 that I race...gonna run a carb and nitrous on it. Mostly stock parts other than cam. springs and pistons.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 19, 12:48 PM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
a stock high miles 5.3 isnt anything Id spend a lot of money on and 290hp wont feel the least bit impressive, something to think about.
think about it...150k miles is the min most these truck motors will ahve on them that is a TON of miles
Mine has 186k and still runs smooth but compared to new? shes tired

If you want a reliable 350-400hp that is so easily done with a modern head/roller cam these days.
HEI, mech fuel pump its foolproof. Some of the new carbs out are pretty much set and forget
150K on one of these is not much at all....I know its crazy, but my buddies all look for the 250-300k mile motors...I couldnt do it, rebuilt the one I bought, mostly stock parts though...should be about 500hp I'm told. We shall see....

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in