3Likes
  • 1 Post By bobm67
  • 1 Post By anix
  • 1 Post By oldcutlass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 2:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fuel gauge sender

Have any of you guys had to bend the arm on a new fuel sender. Mine is a 72 and I wanted to replace the unit because I thought it might be bad. But anyway mine should have a 0-90 ohm unit and I check the new one before I installed it and it was within an ohm or two of that. Problem is I can fill it up and it reads 3/4 tank so I went to the tank to take a reading on it and it only showed 60-65 ohms. So the float almost has to be hitting the top of the tank right???
BTW it was identical to the one I took out and my gauge is aftermarket and set for a 0-90 sender . Ordered as a direct replacement!!
Is it a common issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 3:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Re: Fuel gauge sender

I had to bend the float arm on the one that was in my car when I bought it. It was a 1/4 of a tank off.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 3:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
I had to bend the float arm on the one that was in my car when I bought it. It was a 1/4 of a tank off.
Was yours off on the full side or empty side?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 4:41 PM
Team Member
Les

Garage

I have the opposite problem. My gauge registers full way too long and when it finally come off of full, the gauge goes toward empty like an express elevator. So, I'm assuming that the float arm is bent so that the float never actually reaches the top of the tank.

I haven't installed it yet but, here is going to be my solution. Floatless Fuel Sending Unit The gauge still won't 100% accurate as the fuel level, in the tank, drops, because the tank is mounted with the front lower than the back . Still, I'm hoping it will be more accurate than what I have now.

Les

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 19, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
I have the opposite problem. My gauge registers full way too long and when it finally come off of full, the gauge goes toward empty like an express elevator. So, I'm assuming that the float arm is bent so that the float never actually reaches the top of the tank.

I haven't installed it yet but, here is going to be my solution. Floatless Fuel Sending Unit The gauge still won't 100% accurate as the fuel level, in the tank, drops, because the tank is mounted with the front lower than the back . Still, I'm hoping it will be more accurate than what I have now.
If it is the float arm I may try to bend it. I think I can flip the tank up side down and check it with a meter before I reinstall the tank but hey that is a good option. I can check the depth while I have it out so I know what to order. Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 19, 6:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by anix View Post
Was yours off on the full side or empty side?

Same as yours, didn't read full when the tank was full.
anix likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
Same as yours, didn't read full when the tank was full.
Update..... Bent the arm now it reads right.
bobm67 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 9:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post

When I read their fitment chart, all of the listings for the GM A bodies are for EFI tanks - I didn't see one for a factory tank. Unless I am missing something.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I always put the new and old side by side to make sure they pivot the same distances. These gauges were never accurate just an approximation. The only 2 things you can tell accurately is when they are full or when they are empty, anything in between is just a guess. The way the tanks are mounted does not represent a symmetrical shape. Most gauges stay close to full for a long, time then drop slowly to half, and then quickly to empty.
Chevy 70 SS vert likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 7:43 AM
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
When I read their fitment chart, all of the listings for the GM A bodies are for EFI tanks - I didn't see one for a factory tank. Unless I am missing something.
Yes, you're right. I have the Tanks Inc. EFI tank. I don't think it matters whether it's a factory or EFI tank but, I'm assuming the mounting point on the tank would need to be close to horizontal so that the probe sits near vertical in the tank. The folks at Tanks Inc. could probably tell you - if you're interested.

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in