1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 17, 2:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
heathensumbitch

Send a message via AIM to Cecil Send a message via Yahoo to Cecil
Return fuel line on 1970 el Camino

Greetings!

My 1970 el Camino has a single fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I'd like to add a return. Do I want to get a new primary line and use the existing as the return, or do I just need to add a return line?

Second question, where would the return line feed back into my tank?

Thanks in advance.

"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch..." Monty Python

Last edited by LevonH; Sep 16th, 17 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 17, 9:19 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Return fuel line on 1970 el Caino

Why do you need a return fuel line? Are you changing the engine to a fuel injection system such as what a Chevy LS engine uses that needs a return?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 17, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
heathensumbitch

Re: Return fuel line on 1970 el Caino

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Why do you need a return fuel line? Are you changing the engine to a fuel injection system such as what a Chevy LS engine uses that needs a return?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
How does this help answer the question?

[Edit] That sounds a bit snarky, doesn't it? What I mean is does the type of conversion make a difference to the type of return? I didn't even know there were options. Does an LS conversion (not that I'm doing one) have a different return than, say, an aftermarket EFI?[/Edit]

Last edited by Cecil; Sep 18th, 17 at 8:42 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 17, 9:36 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Return fuel line on 1970 el Camino

I can't directly speak for an aftermarket EFI but a stock carbureted engine usually does NOT need a fuel return line back to the tank. Carbureted setups run a quite low pressure fuel pump (maybe 5-6 PSI) so there's no need for a return. An LS engine definitely needs a fuel return because its fuel injection system operates at 55-60 PSI at the fuel rail. LS engines have return line plumbing at the in tank fuel pump access port on top of the tank - usually two 90 degree bends in the tubing - one going out and the return going in. The return also helps keep the fuel cooler to prevent vapor lock depending on how close your fuel lines run to a hot exhaust pipe.

I'm also learning a lot about this while reading two books on LS engine swaps. One book was written in 2011 and the other is fresh up to date in 2017 with all the latest aftermarket stuff but I have many learned things . . . a lot of expensive things to buy . . . from both books. My 5.3 LS / LM7 Chevy truck engine sits in the corner of the shop waiting to go in someday. However, I have to get through sheet metal repairs first before I can start spending money on an engine installation. But 1300 bucks for a good running LM7 engine with good, 170 PSI compression and the heads rebuilt 3000 miles ago and its 4L60E transmission still mounted was too nice of a deal to pass up. The truck ran well and moved under its own power throwing no codes until it got yanked out three weeks or so ago - truck was totalled for sheet metal damage. I also got the powertrain control module, the wiring harness, the MAF and all intake plumbing, etc. Deal of The Century from a shop that I trust.

Rick
123pugsy likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 17, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
heathensumbitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
But 1300 bucks for a good running LM7 engine with good, 170 PSI compression and the heads rebuilt 3000 miles ago and its 4L60E transmission still mounted was too nice of a deal to pass up.
Rick
If I found a deal like that I'd have one sitting in my garage waiting...

Thanks.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 17, 7:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

FWIW..My 70 El Camino SS has a 3/8 inch line to the fuel pump but it also has a smaller "return line" running along side of it, I believe the smaller line may have been connected to the fuel pump originally.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 1:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Just some 70 Trivia:
If you have a fuel pump on your 70 with a 3/8" line and a 1/4" line.
First... ALL 1970 Chevelles have a Closed engine vapor system. What the hell is that?
ALL engine fumes, Crankcase, Valve covers, fuel system. All and ANY fuel or engine vapors are ENTERED into the engine and burned off and out the tail pipe.
Example: 454 engine, Left side valve cover is vented into the intake. R.S. valve cover is vented into the Air Cleaner. That Quarter inch Return line at the fuel pump. What is does is allow the gasoline tank fumes & vapors to travel to the fuel pump, Then the vapors are pumped along with fuel to the Carb. It is all burned off,,,,, Then-- EXITS Via. the tailpipe.
I call it a vapor line.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Your making the right move with todays fuel..

Use 1/4" steel brake line tubing for your return. The new tubing is nice to work with..

Pick up a new sending unit with the return port or drill and solder a nipple into the existing.

Put a 3/8" x 3/8" x 1/4" tee on the supply side of the fuel pump.. Or use a fuel filter for a 1964 Pontiac Bonneville with AC.... The closer you can get the return pick up point to the carb the better..
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:33 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Saw a video of a guy that did it to stop vapor lock problems, and it does seem like a good idea as you will end up with cooler fuel to the carb, I was curious and asked around but just got post's about carbs not needing it, but I say go for it, when I re do my fuel tank I'm going to add a return line to the sending unit or maybe use one of the EFI conversion tanks from tanksinc.com
https://youtu.be/YUmaAQoHggM

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:38 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec710 View Post
FWIW..My 70 El Camino SS has a 3/8 inch line to the fuel pump but it also has a smaller "return line" running along side of it, I believe the smaller line may have been connected to the fuel pump originally.
Saw a guy that tried to use the smaller line for EFI fuel return, it seems there is some sort of restriction somewhere in the line so it only works for vapor as Robin mentioned.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:40 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Just some 70 Trivia:
If you have a fuel pump on your 70 with a 3/8" line and a 1/4" line.
First... ALL 1970 Chevelles have a Closed engine vapor system. What the hell is that?
ALL engine fumes, Crankcase, Valve covers, fuel system. All and ANY fuel or engine vapors are ENTERED into the engine and burned off and out the tail pipe.
Example: 454 engine, Left side valve cover is vented into the intake. R.S. valve cover is vented into the Air Cleaner. That Quarter inch Return line at the fuel pump. What is does is allow the gasoline tank fumes & vapors to travel to the fuel pump, Then the vapors are pumped along with fuel to the Carb. It is all burned off,,,,, Then-- EXITS Via. the tailpipe.
I call it a vapor line.
Bob
Wrong. There is a 1/4" return line on a three port fuel pump or a 3 port fuel filter depending on the year. It returns a small amount of fuel back to the tank to help prevent vapor lock. This keeps fuel from sitting in the line between the pump and the carb and getting hot. It does not vent the tank. A tank vapor line goes from the tank to a charcoal canister, if equipped.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:44 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Greetings!

My 1970 el Camino has a single fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I'd like to add a return. Do I want to get a new primary line and use the existing as the return, or do I just need to add a return line?

Second question, where would the return line feed back into my tank?

Thanks in advance.
Feed line should be 3/8", return line is 1/4" in a factory carb set up. HP fuel systems use a larger return line in a bypass regulator setup. The factory return setup has a tiny hole restriction so anything bigger than 1/4" would just be a waste.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:49 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
Wrong. There is a 1/4" return line on a three port fuel pump or a 3 port fuel filter depending on the year. It returns a small amount of fuel back to the tank to help prevent vapor lock. This keeps fuel from sitting in the line between the pump and the carb and getting hot. It does not vent the tank. A tank vapor line goes from the tank to a charcoal canister, if equipped.
So, it could be used as a return line for a mechanical fuel pump? I thought this was the case too but others have talked me out of it. I know it didn't work for one guy but he was using a high pressure electric pump. Does the line return to the tank or the vent box? Thanks.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 2:42 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampoerna415 View Post
So, it could be used as a return line for a mechanical fuel pump? I thought this was the case too but others have talked me out of it. I know it didn't work for one guy but he was using a high pressure electric pump. Does the line return to the tank or the vent box? Thanks.
Some cars came with this 1/4" return line that goes back to the tank, yes for a mechanical pump. They make a tank sending unit with this 1/4" return line connection. I was fighting vapor lock problems and added this return line to mine. I won't say that it fixed my problem, but it was one of the many things I did and they all seemed to make it better.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 12:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Not sure about other 1970 SS 454s-with a 4 speed. The 454 I have has the three port fuel pump. My 454 has no charcoal canister.
I have a question? If you do not have a charcoal canister attached to your 1970- SS 454, What happens to the fuel VAPORS ?
We all know they "do not" exit to the Atmosphere, My question is, Where do the fuel vapors in the fuel tank " GO " on a 1970- LS-5 ?
The answer is .................................................. ...................... ?

Bob
Trivia:
The 1/4" port on the three port pump. To make my 1970 Sta.Wgn. ( Driver ) 454 Engine look like a Real factory LS-5 with the LS-5 -3 port pump.
I attached a piece of rubber hose to the fuel pump and then shoved a piece of old brake line into the other end of the rubber hose installed the correct spring clamps, Then I shoved it back into the frame rail. NOW my fuel system " LOOKS " like a factory LS-5.
My FRAUD car ( with papers to prove it) SS 454 Sta. Wgn. has been driven over 38.000 miles, And so far I have not seen any fuel come out of the small line ( That is laying on the frame, and goes nowhere. beside the org. 5/16" -307 fuel line,) On my 3 port long canister fuel pump.
Also , For a driver / Cruiser, my 468 runs and operates just fine on the org. 307-5/16" fuel line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

Last edited by Robinls5; Dec 22nd, 17 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in