64 full quarter replacement - Chevelle Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q & A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

64 full quarter replacement

Got some fit going on for my goodmark full quarters.Looking good so far.Need to trim where the sail panel was a little more but will probably run a series of spot welds first while its clamped to the proper contour and all other fit work is good.64-65 my a$$.These quarter are geared for a 65 but will work with some carfull planing.Us 64 owners always get shorted.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 4:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
TurboTom

Re: 64 full quarter replacement

Good work on the trimming of a full quarter! Can you give any tips on how to do it? I need to do the same thing to a 64 SS. Tom

65 Elco 292 inline 6,EFI/turbo/intercooled

i rebuild gm rears.

check out my ad in the team chevelle classifieds.

pics

vids

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlowe View Post
Good work on the trimming of a full quarter! Can you give any tips on how to do it? I need to do the same thing to a 64 SS. Tom
Sometime durring the next 20 times I have it off Ill take some pics and try to piont out what I did and why to make it fit.I still have work to do around the wheel well mostly at the rear section to make it fit the way I want.These quarters come up short in a few spots that Ill point out sometime this week or next week.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 6:32 PM
Tech Team
John

looking good!

64 convertible
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 9:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
TurboTom

I will be watching for your update. Tom

i rebuild gm rears.

pics

vids

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 10, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Almost done fitting the LS quarter.
This pic showes how little is left of the top edge.Im no Jessy James so Im reusing the outer quarter window edge and the edge around the top where the stainless trim goes.I need to trim the new quarter slightly to get the area where the welding will be done a little lower.Also pics of how it will look with the stainless trim around the edge.It covers most of wher the welding will be done.

This pic showes wher the new quarter comes up short.Hard to see but the edge above the screw from the old quarter needs to be reused.

This pic showes another short area.On the 65 this is an exact fit but the 64 needs to be trimed around the beuty trim area and welded to the new quarter.The 64 quarter extends in further.Also I have the tail lights installed because the buckets get flimsy and I dont want them not to fit properly after.

This pic showes where the quarter needed to be trimed so it would not sit high.Note the slice up and to the left of the screw.Also the edge that slips under where the OE quater went was originaly bent horazontaly and I bent it verticly and flaired the edge so it would fit properly.

Here is what I think was another short area.I had to trim the trunk extention because it was longer than the quarter and didnt look good.Dont know how long it should be because I had shins on and they were a lot longer here.Dont look at the surface rust I still need to do a lot of prep work before installing the quarter.LOL

A pic of how good the door gap looks.It looks better than when I started but that could have to do with the crappy job with the skins that were on before.

More pics next post because Im limited to ten per post.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 10, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Cant tell by looking at the pic but the body line is perfect all the way down.Fenders and doors were aligned perfect before starting the job.

This pic showes the area wher the quarter needs to be bent down to be a match to the original convert quarter.Bend on the body line just slightly back and forth using a rubber block sander that fits the edge perfect.

Some more pics that might be interesting.

The trunk lid was installed but not fully aligned.Should line up good with good gaps.

The heart of the beast.LOL

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 1:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: 64 full quarter replacement update.

Finaly got some welding done on the 64.Tried to take good picks.But welded the top edge and its a seamless weld and cant tell where the new panel ends and the edge of the old begins.I ran out of welding gas so didnt finish the rear area.Pannel bonded around the wheel well area and glad I did because it saved a lot of time and I hate welding upside down.I need to sand blast the rear area before I start welding again to remove the weld through primer I sprayed because it makes it a pain to get a nice weld.I only used it in the places being plug welded luckly.Im realy happy with how its comming out so far.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 4:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: 64 full quarter replacement update pic's

Almost all welding done with a few small things to wrap up.Pulled it out to clean up a little and get some better pic's.Now its all comming back to me why after taking auto body class for 4 years I didnt want to do it for a living.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 5:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: 64 full quarter replacement;more pic's

Last of the pic's for today.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 1:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

She's lookin' REALLY good now!! GREAT work!!

Don
'

//_____________:____________\\
/_____________________________\
|[__]_________|DF 22|____SS__[__]|
\_____________________________/
| : : : : : : : | -- \___/ - -| : : : : : : : :|
|: : : : : : : | ( )- - - - ( ) | : : :: : :: : |
\________/ .. . . . . . . . .\________/
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 10, 5:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
TurboTom

Zombie,
Thanks so much for the pics! Tell me what you used to trim the new quarter (cut) with. Tom

i rebuild gm rears.

pics

vids

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 10, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widetires22 View Post
She's lookin' REALLY good now!! GREAT work!!
Thanks now I need to get my wife to say the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlowe View Post
Zombie,
Thanks so much for the pics! Tell me what you used to trim the new quarter (cut) with. Tom
I used a 3in cut off wheel.The 3m green corp thin wheel seem to work the best and fastest.When it was to the point where it was a tiny bit left to take off(to get the seem all the way down to but up right) I used a 2 or 3in 24-36 grit sanding disk on the edge to take it down more where needed.I'm in the process of finishing the rt side now and its going a little faster.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 8:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: A few pic's of the rt side.

Just a few small things to wrap up left with the welding then should be able to move on to seam sealing both sides.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 11:25 PM
Tech Team
John

Great job!

64 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1288 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.