Convertibles Convertible Q & A's

3Likes
  • 2 Post By 68-13427
  • 1 Post By vern

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Alex

Help on finding a Conv Body

I recently inherited my dad's 68 SS hardtop and the body is too far gone (45 years in a field). i am about to have a shop restore it but am craving for a convertible car so what would be the best way of tracking down or finding a whole convertible body for sale? i have cash in hand if any of you know of one or have one for sale thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Re: Help on finding a Conv Body

If you want a convertible, buy the whole car. A convertible has a different frame than a coupe does, unless you want to weld reinforcements into a coupe frame. The convertible frame also has provisions for two body mounts on each side at the fire wall. Terry
LeoP and NickeyChevelle like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 1:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

if just looking to re-body your car, may be worth looking into a Dynacorn body... little expensive, but may be worth the time and trouble of finding and restoring a convertible body.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 8:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
vernon

NO car is too far gone! it all depends on how much time and money you have! seriously though, if the cowl and windshield frame are halfway decent, you could buy a one piece floorpan assembly with rockers and braces, a full trunk pan and all the repair pieces you need for the cowl sides and bottoms. This is what I did on my 68 'vert . and a new firewall. Whatever you do, dont scrap the car. Even the tops of convertible quarters are worth something, along with the structure for the top and the tulip panel. Or if money is no object. buy a repro 70 convertible body and backdate it to a 68!
NickeyChevelle likes this.

1968 Chevelle Convertible
rustychevyman.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimon0311 View Post
I recently inherited my dad's 68 SS hardtop and the body is too far gone (45 years in a field). i am about to have a shop restore it but am craving for a convertible car so what would be the best way of tracking down or finding a whole convertible body for sale? i have cash in hand if any of you know of one or have one for sale thanks!
I agree with Terry. There's no point in converting a Hard Top into a 'Vert. Sell Dad's SS396 and buy yourself a 'Vert.

Just about any cop who runs your plate/tag will notice that your "registered as a Hard Top" is a 'Vert and they'll want to know why the records don't match up. If you run into a rookie you may be eating pavement until you can reassure them that you're on the up and up.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
NO car is too far gone! it all depends on how much time and money you have! seriously though, if the cowl and windshield frame are halfway decent, you could buy a one piece floorpan assembly with rockers and braces, a full trunk pan and all the repair pieces you need for the cowl sides and bottoms. This is what I did on my 68 'vert . and a new firewall. Whatever you do, dont scrap the car. Even the tops of convertible quarters are worth something, along with the structure for the top and the tulip panel. Or if money is no object. buy a repro 70 convertible body and backdate it to a 68!
Have you looked at the difference between a 70 and a 68? Its not just a bumper swap.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
vernon

Yeah that was just a what if...if I had more money than time and brains. I suppose it is possible but even a 68 and 69 are different , much less a 68 and 70. I also misread the original post, I thought he already had a convertible.

1968 Chevelle Convertible
rustychevyman.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in