1969 Chevelle L78 Convertible Top Problem - Chevelle Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q & A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 7:31 AM Thread Starter
Don

Unhappy 1969 Chevelle L78 Convertible Top Problem

Morning Guys,

I am sure this has been talked about but i can't find the exact answer and i am trying to get my top to work.

Just bought this car, my first 69. The car currently has the purple/grey wire running from the top switch to pump motor (just replaced the pump motor)
the orange wire comes from the switch and is currently plugged in to the center strip of the fuse box at the radio fuse.
every time you use the top switch it blows the radio fuse. (10 amp)
I read that it's supposed to get a 30 amp circuit breaker for power top and see that located on the firewall above the fuse box in assembly manual UPC 12 B14 power feed wiring - wagon
currently there is no circuit breaker mounted on the firewall and no holes that show there was one.
my question is -
can i just plug the existing orange wire into a higher amp fuse in the fuse panel (and is that correct ??)
or
Should i run a new 10g red wire from passenger side battery terminal across the firewall wiring harness trough and install new 30 amp circuit breaker in firewall then run the orange wire from the CB to switch?
i also see in the manual hot wire coming from the horn relay radiator support to the CB, is that correct?
i am not sure what's correct for 69 ? anybody have a few pics of what's correct?

sorry to ramble but i could use your help and i am currently at a stand still, just want to put the top down and cruise.

Thank You !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 11:47 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 1969 Chevelle L78 Convertible Top Problem

No holes- maybe the car didn't originally have a power top ???

The diagram shows power feeding the circuit breaker comes from the BAT buss bar on the horn relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69diagram_color.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	597804  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Don

Re: 1969 Chevelle L78 Convertible Top Problem

Thank You for the reply Dean and the easy to read wiring diagram, i'll proceed down that course and install the circuit breaker.

there are two holes on the side of the fuse block with the right spacing just not the top as show in the assembly manual, maybe the original was mounted on the side?

So the orange wire definitely does not tie into the fuse panel?

i thought about the manual top as well, but when i removed the pump motor and inspected the oil lines etc they looked pretty old, but then again that's what 50 years can do

thanks again
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in