1967 SS 427 Chevelle - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Copo & Dealer Factory & Dealer Performance

52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 6:37 PM

Re: 1967 SS 427 Chevelle

There's a fellow posting on facebook today that says he has an original 1967 SS427 Chevelle. Also says it has American Racing Torq Thrust wheels that came from GM, that year. Says all the COPO cars came with those wheels. Sure they did.

If you're on the Chevelle Nation facebook group, you can read all about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 8:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

^

I guess if he says so it must be true.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 11:37 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe58 View Post
I don't recall any documented 1967 L72 cars in any model.
The Corvette went to the L71 tri carb engine in 1967.
Some say they remember 1967 Police 427 tri carb Impalas but not sure if they were 400hp or 435hp.

Even looking at Chevelle L78 production numbers, if I remember right, 1967 was really low
year at about 600...
...For some reason, it seems there was some type of cut back on SHP engines in 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tedford View Post
Back in 1967 I was in Nurse Chev-Olds in Whitby Ontario. The salesman wanted me to order a 427 435 hp Biscayne coach. He claimed that it was the only way to get this engine in a full sized Chev. I have never heard of anyone having this combination ever. I don't even know where he got the idea that the car/engine combination could be ordered. The idea had to come from somewhere. In the late '60s Nurse used to be home to the UOP Shadow CanAm cars when they raced at Mosport. Nurse sold a red COPO Camaro in '69 so they were a little bit up on the performance world back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec710 View Post
FWIW...I ordered my 1967 Chevelle SS 396 with the 375hp/396 option in Jan of 1967 based upon seeing it listed in the "new" NHRA classification guide we had received, did not get delivery until June of 1967, was worth the wait. NO 427 FACTORY CHEVELLES KNOWN TO HAVE BEEN PRODUCED.
I have an older farmer friend that was also a gearhead back in the day. He always had loads of Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, and Super Stock magazines upstairs in his detached garage. In the late 1970s & early 80s used to pour through those old magazines. I learned about the full-size SS427 via the old Nickey Chevrolet ads. I believe it was a Super Stock magazine from 1969 that did the only known road test of an actual 1969 COPO Chevelle; just before that a classmate that I had sort of regarded as a bit of a BS'r bought a 69 COPO Chevelle (this is around 79/80) and I thought it was made up. When I saw the Super Stock article I changed my tune, as his Chevelle pretty much looked like the test car. I didn't know about GM Canada documentation at that time but I soon learned his car was GM Canada documented as a COPO (we are so lucky to have Vintage Vehicle Services in Canada.) See attachment for the 1979 Auto Trader ad he bought it from.

I get a chuckle out the the "fact" that 1000 were made in 1969 according to the ad above. Cars & B.S. together are nothing new. People love to invent facts. I'd rather rather quote Fran Preve from a 1992 published interview where his best estimate was 323 COPO Chevelles built in 1969 (Fran ran the Tonawanda Engine Plant in New York).

Regarding the L72 in the full size Chevy for '67, GM got very concerned about their public image after Nader's slanderous book. The L72 was dropped, along with the planned upcoming triple carbs. All cancelled, plus the 180-horse turbocharged Corvair was cancelled along with the 140-horse 4-carb version, the L78 was cancelled from Chevelles, the L79 was cancelled from Chevy IIs. GM had a lot of official attention on them and not the good kind. They even were caught spying on Nader. GM really had to play good corporate citizen. Meanwhile the rest of the auto industry kept upping the ante, so Chevrolet quietly reintroduced the L78 into Chevelles later in the 67 run, the L79 returned to the Chevy II very late in the 67 production with only 6 built. As far as the triple carbs on the full-sized Chevy, law enforcement alone was offered that option atop of the 427s. Remember that farmer friend with the old magazine collection? He had one magazine from 1968 that did a special on Police Interceptors. They published the specs for the 1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 B07 with a hot 455 (I seem to recall the W-34 400-horse Toronado engine in the car but who knows); plus actual excerpts from Chevrolet published promotional material for the 1968 Police Cars that clearly showed the triple carbed 427 as a special order option (in print!). Keith Tedford had told me about a dealer offering him a chance to order a 67 or 68 B07 Police Biscayne powered as such but Keith bought a dealer-swapped Pontiac 428-powered '68 Firebird from London Motor Products instead. He sold it later in '69 when his '69 COPO Chevelle came in.

So there were performance oriented COPO options in 1967. Besides the 435-horse triple carb 427 Biscayne, there was a COPO for the 4-carb 140-horse Corvair that had been dropped from regular production for '67. It was done for Don Yenko or for the Corvair Fitch Sprint (I can't remember which). By 1968 the 4-carb Corvair was once again a regular production option after a 1 year absence.
Woj, 427L88 and davewho1 like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 17, 6:30 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Clint, hey I got one of those! But GM couldnt have built it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6557.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	462938  

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 17, 8:53 AM
Gold Member
Gene

and I dont go on facebook anymore, my hip boots got so caked with bullchips I couldnt move.
oman and mr 4 speed like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 17, 3:55 PM

I hear you,Gene. There's a serious amount of BS on facebook. Sure makes me thankful for this site.

Hope you're doing well, pal. It's been a long time since we have talked.
427L88 likes this.
post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 17, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads67 View Post

In fact I seem to remember about 15-20yrs ago I believe it was GM had found and bought back a car back from the original owner that was like #2 off the assembly line and was not supposed to be sold. Again been a long time and memory fades but I remember in that story they said the first couple vehicles off the line were test vehicles and were supposed to be used for testing and then most went to the museum. Remember this from the news but no clue if its true or not. Anyone remember this?
You are referring to the story about the last GNX.
GM had planned for the last one to go to their museum- but they ended up making like 50 more cars, and the last one accidentally got sold. They ATTEMPTED to buy it back from the legitimate purchaser, offering him a brand new T-Type instead, and the guy refused, and hid the car away, never registered it so it couldn't be tracked. It resurfaced a year or two ago.

The Mythical No. 547 1987 Buick GNX Is Real and We Know Where It Is (But We are Not Telling) - Hot Rod Network

I think it sold at one of the auctions a year or so ago, record numbers as expected.

Ben R.

-

post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 17, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40 View Post
the 67 impala came out with a 427 but it was not the 425hp it was the 380, still ran good for a big tank
On our last day of high school (before graduating) in 1970, my friend Steve Paulson borrowed his sister's red on red '67 SS Impala with a 385 HP 427 and Muncie 4-spd for the traditional parade through the school's parking lot and streets surrounding the school. I recall that the hydraulic lifter 427 engine was strong and I was proud to be a passenger in that car during the parade. I knew Steve's family well and have recollections of this car from the time Mike and Kathy Eliason bought it new in '67. I only recall riding in it that one time, however, and it disappeared long ago.

Last edited by Saltherring; Sep 13th, 17 at 1:29 PM.
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 17, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
and I dont go on facebook anymore, my hip boots got so caked with bullchips I couldnt move.
Never been on farcebook...and never will go there!
427L88 and IFLY like this.

Last edited by Saltherring; Sep 13th, 17 at 1:32 PM.
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 17, 8:09 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I was asked to , to administer a few political pages ( and we're like good and civil folks but....) a few years back. I told them I'd done recently, I cannot take the bullchips that flow like water over there. Everyone seems to want to stick their iceholes in your nose, without data. Some good stuff to be sure, but like Sodom, not enough to keep it standing, for me anyway. ol skool rebs and FB dont mix.

A month out, I feel more free and sure as heck not "deprived". Miss some of the Chevelle buds there ( Sal, Albert, etc...) , to be sure......but I dont do koolaid. Its me, I dont play well in vague environments, as I try to be a conscious master of reality in an increasingly false world, i.e, be the best I can be. FB brought me down from that personal mission. So I killed it.

Yet, I do own a false 67 SS427. Its a HOOT!
mr 4 speed likes this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 17, 9:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Your "false" '67 SS427 is drop dead gorgeous, Gene. And yes, I'd bet it's a hoot to drive!
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 17, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

Send a message via AIM to forever young

my resto is a beautiful '70 SS 396. If I ever get crazy enough to do another resto, my choice will be a Marina Blue or Tuxedo Black '67 with a 427 in it, nothing nicer than seeing 427 turbo jet on the front fenders.
davewho1 likes this.

"some people spend their entire life trying to make a difference, US MARINES don't have that problem". Ronald Reagan Semper Fi
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 12:22 AM
Tech Team
wayne

Garage

I know this conversation is a couple of months old, but I wanted to chime in. About 2 years ago a guy showed up at our Saturday night cruise in w/ a triple black '67 SS 427 car, he had some documentation but nothing that convinced me. I elected not to challenge him about the validity of the car. He was not attempting to sell it to anyone. I took a few pics of it ( but I don't think I have any of the engine ) I will say that this car was done very well and had the tri-power L-88 set up. Very nice car regardless, which brings me to my question for all. If it did exist and was legit, can you imagine what that car would be valued at. It would be in the league w/ ZL-1's maybe even more sought after. If I ever stumble on a "deal" on the right 427 I wouldn't hesitate to do a very correct 427 conversion, attempting to keep it close to what GM would have done, not in an attempt to fool anyone ( my car is a '66 anyway ) but there is just something about that 427 that was just soooo right.
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

First L88 used a single 4 barrel carb. So he had the tri power from either a L71 (435) or L68 (400). Not a big deal as they reproduce those intakes all day long and very easy to source. Holley still makes those carbs and originals and service dated ones are every where for sale. Paragon Corvette makes the rest. Value is the same as any other NOM car. I can add all that stuff to my 396 put 427 badges on the car and print my own docs and fool 98% of people at car shows. What GM could have and should have built is all in the past.
Clint44 and Steve R like this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 1:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
First L88 used a single 4 barrel carb. So he had the tri power from either a L71 (435) or L68 (400). Not a big deal as they reproduce those intakes all day long and very easy to source.

Really they are reproduced all day long? Does that mean that the 67 400HP unit I have stashed away is suddenly depreciated OR are the Corvette purists as persnickety as usual and still insisting on the "Genuine GM" stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 860 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.