70-72 Wagon rearend - Chevelle Tech
2004 General Tech Forum from 2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 04, 1:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
I am looking for a 12 bolt rearend for my 70 hardtop. I found a 71 or 72 wagon in a farmers field, but it is buried under a bunch of junk. Before attempting to get at the rearend, Just wondering what the chances are of finding a 12 bolt in a wagon. If it is a good possibility of finding a 12 bolt under this wagon, I will attempt to get at it. Also, is there any difference in width or mounting brackets between a wagon or hardtop rearend.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 04, 10:12 AM
Tech Team

It probably has a 10 bolt, my 72 did. The mounting is the same.

Wildrat<br /><br />Wild Rat Powered<br />72 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon<br /> <a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="
target="_blank">http://www.sharkbait.ws</a>
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 04, 10:31 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to zieg72 Send a message via Yahoo to zieg72
You might get lucky and find a 12 bolt with the big back brakes

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 04, 3:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

It is worth a look. It should bolt in your car with no problems.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I will need to check it out when I have some free time. But first I need to check out a big block 73 chevelle that another farmer has down the road, just found this one today.

Thanks
Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 04, 7:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Mike,
ALL 68-72 Chevelle, wagon, Elky and Monte Carlo rears are 100% interchangeable. Although, I have NEVER seen anything other than the regular 9in rear brake drums on them.
In 72, which was the last year for this generation of Chevelle, I ordered a 72 9 passenger wagon with BB, 4sp, 12bolt posi, CI hood, full pwr and air. Today, the 12bolt posi from that wagon is bolted under my son's 71 SS454 clone.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 04, 8:23 AM
Tech Team

Mike, if your looking at the 73 thinking to get the rear out of it, don't. The rear from a 73 will not fit your 70.
Jim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 04, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I am only looking at the 73 to get the Big Block for my Nova. I already know that they have nothing much in common with the 70.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5830 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.