Fixing leaky Intake Manifold - Chevelle Tech
2004 General Tech Forum from 2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 04, 8:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to seawolf06
I was having a problem with leaking oil mostly from the valve covers, but some also from the manifold. It wasn't a lot of oil, but I wanted to clean the engine bay up. So I removed the valve covers, carb and intake and replaced all the gaskets and used Loctite sealant on the intake which is a soft-seal, fast-drying sealer. My buddy says he's used it on a couple of other engines and it works great. Well, after driving home I noticed oil leaking on the driveway. After looking closely, I noticed the rear of the intake was leaking a lot of oil, but only in that one spot. We didn't use the front and rear intake gaskets, so this saturday I did the same thing all over again, but I used Permatex hard-sealing sealer and all the gaskets. Now the leak is even bigger! What am I doing wrong? What type of sealer is the best? I think there was orange sealer on it before. Could the intake be warped? TIA [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]

EDIT: What about this?
Orange Permatex

Donnie<br />1968 Chevelle 300 2-Door 396<br />12.7 @ 105<br />1.98 60'<br /><a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">Beverly</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 04, 9:51 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Hardening Permatex [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Hope you didn't. I had to hoist an engine up and hammer a screw driver between the intake and block to get the intake off. Was togethor only a week or so. I was only 16 at the time. Didn't look and grabbed the wrong permatex. I really hope you got the non hardening kind.

I prefer Permatex Ultra Blue or Rightstuff. A lot of guys like the black stuff. Dodge sells it. You can use the red stuff, but it's for higher temps.

68 SS El Camino 454 -sold
69 RS Camaro 383 Brodix -sold
Scott L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 04, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

First time i used the soft stuff, and the intake still leaked and came off a little "too easy". So this time i used the hard permatex, but it's still leaking. thanks for the advice. anyone else? TIA

Donnie<br />1968 Chevelle 300 2-Door 396<br />12.7 @ 105<br />1.98 60'<br /><a href="

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 04, 8:05 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Make sure you're not using the Fel Pro Perma-Torque "stiff" gaskets with the steel core. Those many times don't seal up well. Use Fel Pro "Printo Seal" soft ones or Mr Gasket "Ultra Seal". I've been through the wringer on sealing up my intake and finally hit on a good combo. I use Permatex No. 2 on both sides of the intake ports only. Gas seems to eat up silicone sealers. I use Permatex Ultra Black silicone compound on both sides of the gasket water openings and for the end seal beads on the block. Make sure the manifold, head, and block surfaces are squeaky CLEAN. Lay down about a 1/4" to 5/16" tall bead on the front and rear block rails WITH NO LOW SPOTS and run them about 3/8" up on the heads. Treat the gaskets as previously described and lay them on the heads. The Permatex No. 2 should hold them in place. Put a little Ultra Black on the gaskets in the corners. Place the manifold straight down on the gaskets. If you have to shift it much at all you can screw up the end beads. Torque the bolts to 25-28 ft/lb starting from the center out, alternating side to side. Let it dry 24 hours before adding coolant. Retorque the bolts after a couple cool down cycles. They will loosen.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 04, 8:50 AM
Tech Team

I know a lot of people skip using the front and rear gaskets, but I still use them along with sealant. I never have a leak. I also seal both sides of the manifold gasket like the other fella. I also use ultra seal gaskets, and fel-pro without any problems. I also use teflon pipe thread goop on my manilod bolts. I don't like leaks. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Wildrat<br /><br />Wild Rat Powered<br />72 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon<br /> <a href="
target="_blank">
href="
target="_blank">http://www.sharkbait.ws</a>
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 04, 1:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I just use HiTack to hold the side gaskets, RTV for end gaskets, and sealer on the mounting bolts. Put it together and DON'T start it till the next day. It won't leak.

Dave Bradley
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 04, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by d1_bradley:
I just use HiTack to hold the side gaskets, RTV for end gaskets, and sealer on the mounting bolts. Put it together and DON'T start it till the next day. It won't leak.
Same here
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 04, 2:46 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by d1_bradley:
That's the way I do it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Bob

You definitely don't want to use permatex hard or soft to create a seal. As stated above use silicone sealer, I like the black or orange type. Lay a bead about a quarter to 3/8ths inch wide and high. Overlap the corners of the side rail gaskets. Let it set up until it starts to skin, won't stick to your finger. Place the intake on the engine without moving it around any more than necessary. Torque the intake down and let it sit for a day. You should be all set.

Bob
1969 SS 396 Camaro/Th 400/355s.(454 now)..Sold
Now... 02 Triple Blk Vette Vert.
Not a Chevelle but the BBC guys are here!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 9:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anyone have the right torque and pattern for the bolts? Thanks for all the replies. Should get it this weekend, if the weather holds out. We have a tornado watch tonight.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 12:38 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
I always degrease both surfaces front and rear of block and bottom of intake with carb cleaner before applying the silicone, then put a bead about 3/8 on the block and let it cure for about 1/2 hour.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 9:21 AM
Tech Team

torque is 30lbs. torque pattern is in most any chilton.a goggle search will probably turn up the pattern too.

Wildrat<br /><br />Wild Rat Powered<br />72 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon<br /> <a href="
target="_blank">
href="
target="_blank">http://www.sharkbait.ws</a>
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 04, 8:10 PM
Tech Team
Reid

If it's OK to flog a dead thread... has anyone seen the Edelbrock intake gaskets? I don't know who actually makes them, but they're supposedly heavy steel-cored types.

Reid
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 04, 8:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

i see no one bothered to mention the best silicone on the planet- the GM black that's available at any GM dealer. it's what they use on the assembly line for intake end seals, and is pretty durable.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5832 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.