Mayb have found a 454 - Chevelle Tech
2004 General Tech Forum from 2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 04, 3:36 PM
feedphillipnow

I think I found a good candidate! 454 .30 over I guess its a short block, has a cam, crank (pretty sure stock crank, cast) pistons, etc. Im waiting to find out what kind of cam and pistons it has, but its sitting in a machine shop which makes me feel a little more confident in it. $500, might MIGHT come down a little bit.... What do you think? This is the high side of my price range for a short block, doesnt sound bad to me... so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 04, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Good price.

.. the block is worth that.

Dave

1969 Chevelle 460, 3.73 posi
Auto Gear Super Case with M22 gears
12.11 @108 mph
Top speed 114.23
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 04, 6:01 PM
feedphillipnow

I sware I can spell Maybe [img]smile.gif[/img] Ok so it's a 454 .30 over engine, its got a cam, rods, pistons, stock crank, nothing fancy. The cyclinders could use a good hone or .10 over, it's out of a 70's truck. If I go .10 over and hone this thing, I'll need .40 over pistons correct? Can I use these rods still? I'll probably use the cast crank. Im not sure on the price, ive seen complete engines for $500, maybe i'll wait or see if he'll come down?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 04, 6:11 PM
pdq67

Sounds like a good price AGAIN!!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 04, 6:17 PM
feedphillipnow

How about the rods? Do rods match up with piston and bore size? I guess a set isnt too expensive, just wondering what to concider using or buying new.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 04, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
I gave 500.00 for a complete motor with heads,pulleys,HEI,alt.brackets,power steering pump and brackets, large oval port heads too. Its in the machine shop now . The rods and cast crank will take most anything that you can throw at it,if its .030 over may as well go .060 over. In Calif. I imagine that would be a pretty good price for the shortblock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 6:00 AM
feedphillipnow

Damn, I think ive found a 454 with a TH400 for $300, needs valve job, and misc. Came out of an 89' Half Ton
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 6:05 AM
feedphillipnow

Again, what are good ways to check an engine for bad news... manually cranking it, make sure things turn? Look for damage, etc?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 7:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

If the motor is not running, you will need to either see it/hear it running or take a chance that it is fine. Personally, I would disassemble it and at the very least install new rings and bearings and seal it back up with a new gasket set. Just so much easier to address things when the motor is out of the car. An '89 van 454 is probably a real low compression motor though. You may want to invest in some 200.00 hypereutectic dome pistons to get the CR up some.

You seem to be running across quite a few options, pick one and go for it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 3:31 PM
feedphillipnow

Thanks GRN [img]smile.gif[/img] Yeah ive seen a ton of deals this week, this one for $300 is in SF, about 90 minutes from me, probably going this weekend. Id bore it .30 over I think, good pistons, stock crank, rebuilt heads, some good headers and etc. I think I can build a nice performer for lesser loads of cash, some disagree in the performance post I had a buddy with a beautiful 67 Chevelle (before it got stolen) threw a junk yard 454 in it, new manifold and carb, he drove that thing in the high 12's low 13's, ran awesome. Cant beat that for $700!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 6:27 PM
Tech Team

I got a 454 off of ebay for $300 complete. It needed a cam and have a few bent pushrods. But, I tore it down completely. The whole bottom end was in pretty good shape. I'm just getting everything checked out, cleaned up, and machined. Of course I'll be reworking the heads, adding a better manifold, carb, disributor, etc. But, if I had to, i could use what I have and be out about $1500 total.
The main thing is to try to get something close to where you're at to avoid shipping charges. i had to drive just over an hour to pick mine up. Well worth the trip!

Ron
1972 El Camino SS 454 (original SS 350)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 6:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Phil,

Don't be afraid to get some used parts - like pistons for example. You can usually pick up a good set of .030 or .060 over forged pistons for a song from someone who is either going to the next bore size or maybe going higher dome or stroker. I got a complete set of rods and pistons from Ron454. Had them checked out locally and they were balanced and completely in spec. Plenty of deals like that out there. Key is to get a good core "no cracks". Make sure whoever you purchase the core from will guarantee either a replacement core or your money back if the block fails mag. particle inspection. A competent machine shop will charge you 200 - 250.00 to clean the block and 100% mag particle, including mains, lifter valley and outside water jackets! Let us know how you make out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5562 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.