Quarter Mile time with CompCam 274 XE update - Chevelle Tech
2004 General Tech Forum from 2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 2:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

For those who are just tunning in this post is a continuation from a previous post
concerning track result with my new engine ran in all street trim, tires and all.

Pat Kelly since the last time I spoke with you my chevelle ran a 13.6 shifting at 5800RMP
and a MPH best of 99.67 due to engine starving for fuel, I have changed the back two jets
from 78 to 80's. My first run with the new jets the chevelle ran a 13.502 at 101.00MPH with
a 60 foot time of 2.0832. Next I went two jets up in the front from a 71 to a 73 and my first
run with the jets landed me with a 14.2 at 104 MPH with a 60 foot time of 3.074, bad start,
my second run with the jets landed me a 13.206 at 103 MPH with a 60 foot time of 2.033.
I can only get four runs in because of a race the next day so tunning was limited but
this was a fairly big improvement compared to last weeks run. I really believe that if I can
get my sixty foot time under 2.0 then I should get 13.00 flat or 12.99, with more tunning
I should for sure get high 12's. Oh by the way found out my stall converter only stalls
at 2200RPM, suppose to be 2400 but you know how that goes, anyhow my cars power band does
not make real power until 2800-3000 RPM.

For those interested in the combo here is my engine combo
Engine 350 .60 over
camshaft CompCam XE 274 hydraulic flat tappet
Heads stock GM casting bowl ported, five angle valve job, 2.02 valves 1.6 roller rockers (flowed 260)
Carburetor Speed Demon Mechanical Secondaries front jets #73 rear jets # 80
Ignition MSD 6AL with MSD Probillet Distributor 35 degre total
Headers Flowtech
Intake Edelbrock RPM Air_GAP
Transmission 700r4 with 2200 stall Lock-up
Gears 3.73 posi with 10 bolt
Tires Nitto 555R 275 45 on 9.5 rim
Suspension Spartan tubular A Arms, 1.25 front sway bar, 1 inch rear sway bar
Brakes 12 inch camaro 1LE cross drilled slotted rotors
Spring hotckis front and back
Shocks KYB all around

<A HREF="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TARGET=_blank>Sacramento Chevelle Club</A> <P> "Ingredents to clone a chevelle" one, or maybe two, depending on the size of your engine, tall blond female,5'11 & 150 pounds + Beer + Big screen T.V+ infinite amount of sex + paste, you know the kind we used to eat when we where little!" This quote is a trademark of Spawn22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 2:14 PM
Tech Team

Im about to order the xe 274 cam. Do you recommend it for a fast street car for a motor similar to yours?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 2:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Blaster I need more information about your motor and the complete car set-up, because the cam
is nice cam but your heads will be the deciding factor on how fast your car will be.
I like the CompCam 274 XE and there are a lot of other cams that have similar profiles that
will probably make the same horsepower or more, but I believe my heads are the key.
I recommend that if you do ran this cam you at least have a stall of 2200RPM, spring
equal to or better than z28, gears need to be at least 3.42 or greater recommended 3.55.
mechanical secondaries carburetor such as HP or BG. This is a dual pattern cam that have
very rapid valve speed open an closing creating noise that produces a lumpy idel, sounds
great, I have heard many people go with the 268 XE cam so that maybe an option for you
but I wanted the 274 XE and glad I made this choice.

P.S I will be posting my dyno sheet before changin jets later today.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
What size carburetor? Are you running flat top pistons also?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Robert I am running a Demon 650 and my piston are Keith Black hypereutectic pistons 9:251 compression
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
I was curious,my son is running a 650 Holley with stock jets....72 & 76's I believe...I've told him to try jetting up a little to see if there's any improvement. He's running the same cam,vortec heads,.30 over 350, air gap, 3.73's ina 81 peekup. He's run a best of 13.50-13.51 with it. Of course the truck won't 60ft at all,best is 1.94.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 12:06 AM
Tech Team

the heads i will be running are the edelbrock rpm's and 10:1 compression. 3:73 gears with 2400 stall
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Blaster that sounds like a good combo you should have a pretty nice set-up, if you can get it dyno tuned to get a ball park figure of your horsepower and torque.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 1:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Rapid Robert its hard to compare heads if they have not been flowed but vortec heads are great for the money, the sixty foot time of 1.94 is better my best which is 2.033. Every engine and combo is a little different but if your sons truck is hitting 13.5 that damn great for a truck not even ford lightning or the 2004 chey SS with super chargers run that fast. I had the engine dyno before my adjustment and I know that I can shift past 6000k and still make power, I really want to shift at 6200-6400 RPM's and if I could leave the line at 2400 RPM's then I am for sure high 12's, but I am not a good driver yet!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 19th, 04, 12:05 PM

If you went from 99.4 (your previous post) to 104 that is a huge increase in power. I figure it take roughly about a 10hp increase to increase speed one mph. Too bad you didn't get more passes.

With improved traction, 12's are in your future. Each .1 second decrease in 60' time is worth between .15 and .2 seconds decrease in ET. Loosening up or removing the front sway bar (just for the track) will help 60' times. Since this is a street car you really can't optimize the suspension for the strip but if you could, you would likely get well into the 12's.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 19th, 04, 5:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Pat I feel 12's man [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I know its around the corner if I can work on my launches and a little more tunning it should be very possible, I think 104 MPH should do so!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 1:01 PM
Tech Team

those are really good numbers. i have the 274xe solid version and i love it. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 1:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1fast69Chevy

Thank man! I will be going out to the track next month and also chassis dyno. Hopefully I will get into the 12's next test N tune.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 3:21 PM
LXS
Senior Tech Team
aLeXiS

Send a message via AIM to LXS Send a message via MSN to LXS Send a message via Yahoo to LXS
Nice set up...wish my car would run that good
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 3:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

LXS the cam 12-677-4 (XS274S) has a lift of .501/.510 compared to my (XE274) .480/.490 lift. The valve lift will be greater with the mechanical set-up and you should be able to make power at higher RMPS compared to the flat tappet hydraulic set-up I have. I would guess that the XS274S would sound a little more aggressive than the XE274, but then again the XE274 sounds pretty stout as well. I am sure it will perform great in your engine as well as mine, but the only difference that I can see is the fact that it is a mechanical cam which should make a little more power at higher RPM's. The mechanical may require valve adjustments compared to the hydraulic set-up.

I don't think you can go wrong with either cam a matter opinion, but if you do not want the adjustments then go with the XE274.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5661 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.