69 El Camino distributor upgrade - Chevelle Tech
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 4:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I I just purchased an El Camino and am looking at upgrading to a electric ignitor system. After searching online I was not understanding if the electric ignitor box and distrubutor I picked out are compatible together on a 350 sb Chevy.
Ignition control box Part# MSD5520
MSD, Streetfire, HEI Part# MSD8362
If anyone is familiar with and can help out that would be awesome! I'm excited to finish out my build with you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 5:38 PM Thread Starter

Okay so I believe I'm mistaken and I do t need the ignitor box at all as the distrubutor has it built in along with the coil.
LeoP likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 6:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

MSD 8360 is a great,
self contained unit.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 7:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
MSD 8360 is a great,
self contained unit.
yeah I'm starting to learn that. And the 8362 seems to give people issues. I I'll probably go with the 8360 with the blaster 2 coil. Although I'm seeing there's a blaster 3 now and wondering if that would pair better.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 69 El Camino distributor upgrade

I'd avoid the MSD Blaster coils all the way, proven they are still problem prone.

ALWAYS test a coil off the vehicle, find an auto parts store with an off vehicle electrical tester, let the coil run on the machine, let it get all the way to operating temperature, ONLY way to get an accurate evaluation of an ignition coil.

Resistance value testing is no longer accurate, nor workable, unless the coil is all the way dead and done in.
LeoP likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 10:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
I'd avoid the MSD Blaster coils all the way, proven they are still problem prone.

ALWAYS test a coil off the vehicle, find an auto parts store with an off vehicle electrical tester, let the coil run on the machine, let it get all the way to operating temperature, ONLY way to get an accurate evaluation of an ignition coil.

Resistance value testing is no longer accurate, nor workable, unless the coil is all the way dead and done in.
I agree, maybe you can suggest an alternate coil that will live and fit his needs.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 20, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

haha good thing i ordered the blaster 2 last night, oh well i can keep it around as a spare.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 20, 4:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

The singular thing GM did when they went from a 6 volt system, to their point triggered, ballast resisted 12 volt one, they used the best coil available at the time, built by their Delco-Remy subsidiary, did a heavier resistance to run it than other manufacturers used, and never looked back.

Incredibly, that stock good quality point coil WILL work with an HEI module, on systems that do not run a resistor, or resistor wire, and, even the MSD CD multi-spark systems. Of course, there are some things to adhere to, spark plug gaps MUST be kept to a maximum of .045 (this because the processors, MSD, HEI, don't like excessive gaps), good magnetic suppression spiral core wire sets, and the worthwhile coils mounted with the terminal end UP, not on its side, NOT up side down.

The basic GM point coil I refer to is what Andover Industries used to develop the performance coils for many after market companies, like MSD, and the "Blaster" series coils. After the EPA started the Witch Hunt to eliminate oil filled coils because they were "toxic oil filled killers", first, Mexico, then China began making them again, oil filled, but, like the Blaster 2 of today, very bad, the EPA forced many manufacturers to only make epoxy filled coils, not even close to being a good alternative to the oil filled originals.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 1:09 AM
Tech Team

I have a blaster 2 I bought in about 1994 and Ive been running it on its side ever since.I understand what you are saying Dave and it makes perfect sense but I wonder why this one keeps going.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 7:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I prefer using the stock, iron, single points distributor to trigger a CD box like the MSD6AL, Vertex Z6, Crane or any of the many well made CD boxes..

The single points distributor is an excellent unit, the iron unit is even better.. The 58 to 64 distributors are what I use.. For points I use either the Accel #8104 32 ounce (110128).. You can still find Made in America points on e-Bay. The points will last 60,000 miles or better only triggering the CD box..
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 9:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Andrew, that coil is one of the great ones, but, MSD moved coil production from Andover Industries, in Andover, Indiana, about 2003, to just across the Rio Grande from El Paso, to Juarez, Mexico,a company named "Pro-Bobbin" (the windings on coils are wound as they are built, on a bobbin, somewhat like the bobbin on a sewing machine) and that is when Blaster coils went south, never to be a good coil again.

I think the Andover coils were just plin built better, better oil, so expansion wasn't as big an issue on new Blasters. The old coils could be leaned on their sides, because the windings and oil were sufficient to keep the windings covered, even when the coil was laid on its side. The new coils are a lot different, lain on their sides, part of the windings become uncovred and they overheat, causing the insulation to disintegrate and fall off, the windings to touch and change the coil's operating specs, and module loading. This is called a "layer short", and will kill any electronic module fast, and is the primary reason so many GM HEI modules, and MSD, other ignition boxes "failing for no apparent reason" as the coil slowly fails.

Before the EPA forced Andover to stop producing oil filled coils, they made almost every oil filled coil known to man, including all the hot rod ones. Their oils were second to none, no matter who's name was on them.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 9:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

Dave,
IYO,

What’s today’s best coil ?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 20, 4:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

I find NO problem with a stock specification GM point coil, they are the ones that GM made work with just about everything. If MSD called them totally OK for their CD systems decades ago, I see no reason to doubt them, as I have seen NO contra reports about them. I have them on all my cars now, even stuff like my 1986 GMC Safari Van with 4.3 V6, factory EFI with feed back HEI, and factory 5 speed. Coil and module failures stopped after installing one of those coils, and the thing runs better than with the stock epoxy coil.

Alternator failures also stopped when I swapped a 12SI alternator in place of (name the stocker) alternators on cars I own. One even stopped the continuing Toyota alternator problems on my 1991 Toyota Camry V6.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 20, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

OR, you could send your Dist to Dave and have him convert it to what will become the dist you need,set up to the specs and desired use you plan to do with it!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

NOPE, I am still trying to get the hand working again, until that happens, NOPE.

EVERYBODY, CHECK FOR THINGS LIKE SPIDERS, SCORPIONS IN THE HOUSE, SHOP, ANYWHERE THEY CAN HIDE, IT IS NOT GOOD TO GET BITTEN, AND ESPECIALLY FOR FAMILY MEMBERS THAT DON'T LOOK (KIDS USUALLY DON'T REMEMBER TO LOOK, WE DON'T WANT ANYONE BITTEN, STUNG, HURT, PLEASE)
LeoP and Brandon James like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in