69 El Camino distributor upgrade - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 7:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: 69 El Camino distributor upgrade

well i have the msd 8360 ready to run installed with street fire wires and the points gapped out to .04 like msd says to do for the distrubutor. The distrubutor came with a part addendum for a 30amp/12v relay that is supposed to solve an issue with sending a solid 12v to the positive end of the coil. as of now its not starting it seems to be firing on all cylinders when i turn the key but wont start and dies immediatly after letting the key go. basically i have to keep trying to turn it over to get it to fire. i did install the relay Im wondering if i just need to run a new wire going from the starter or the wire that coming from the ignition? originally there were two wires tied into the positive end of the coil one being yellow and one being white braided which im understanding to be the low resistance wire coming from the ignition and the yellow going to the starter.on the 5 prong relay i have the yellow going to post 30 braided whit to 85 87 goes to my coil positive and 88 is my ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

You don't need the relay or the yellow wire, just 12 volts to the + connection on the distributor. Run a non resistor wire from the ign spot(where the old white braided wire comes from) straight to the distributor + connection and you are good!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Alright lol, so I got it started. I unhooked the yellow wire, I believe it goes to the starter selonoid; I unhooked that wire and put a wire going straight from the battery to the positive end of the coil... and she fired right up. I believe I can go ahead and trace that wire, and replace it with a new one. Possibly it's running through a ballest of some sorts that I'm needing to bypass.

My friend I bought the car from suggested I keep the bypass wire hooked up, and if all else fails put a kill switch in between. That seems kinda jerry rigged to me so I'll probably go the route of replacing the wire.

Sad cause I was kinda upset about going from stock points to to electrical as I'd love to restore it fully to its prime and this wire is one more thing thats unoriginal. My buddy has the matching number engine still that i didn't buy with the car as he wanted 10,000 more on top... but eventually I'll buy and have it machined and put back in. For now she will be my daily friver for sure I'll have to get some pictures posted soon and show her off!
71350SS likes this.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 10:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

$10,000 for the #'s matching engine? what is it a fully rebuilt LS6 ? that the VIN numbers are present on the block? but glad you got the MSD working I just reread it's a 69 so no LS6, L78 ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

he said the matching number engine if sold with the car adds 10,000 to the price of it but im guessing thats after its rebuilt and running, or just bs
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
You don't need the relay or the yellow wire, just 12 volts to the + connection on the distributor. Run a non resistor wire from the ign spot(where the old white braided wire comes from) straight to the distributor + connection and you are good!

okay so its the braided wire coming from the ignition switch that i need to replace. and just eliminate the yellow wire i believe runs to the starter? I'm guessing the yellow wire is necessary only on older stock points?
LeoP likes this.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

okay i think i understand. its like on my rv where i have multiple spots in the fuse pannel that i cun plug straight into with a blade connector. some are constant and some are swithced. so i can do the same thing and run a wire from a switch power straight to the positive end of the coil eliminating both the original wired running to the coil
LeoP likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 1:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon James View Post
okay i think i understand. its like on my rv where i have multiple spots in the fuse pannel that i cun plug straight into with a blade connector. some are constant and some are swithced. so i can do the same thing and run a wire from a switch power straight to the positive end of the coil eliminating both the original wired running to the coil
Yes in the fuse box the "BAT" should be full 12V always hot and the "IGN" should be 12V switched that's IIRC that only gets 12V when the ignition is switched on.So for electronic ignition you need full 12V with the key on and full battery voltage to your ignition system so the engine runs.
But you don't have to remove that resistor wire from the harness just tape it off so it's secure and it doesn't spark and leave it there it won't hurt anything.But it will always be there if you decide to go back to points distributor or sell the car.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 7:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

"Braided" wire is a silver stranded wire, it IS a 1.80 ohm ballast resistor.

To run something with a full 12 volts, hot in both start and run, cold everywhere else, do as above, wire a copper stranded wire from whatever you re running, to the IGN on the fuse box, done.
LeoP likes this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 8:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

If 69 ElCamino is like 69 Chevelle, resistor wire plugs in large thru firewall connector below power brake booster. I had to remove booster to access connector.

Removed resistor wire and with a little luck was able to re-use factory connector on my #12 (?) wire to solenoid.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Just tape the unused wires to the harness bundle, they aren't gonna hurt anything!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 6:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

What I recommend to do is remove the two wires, one frm starter solenoid, the other from the bulkhead connector, from the positive terminal on the coil, tape them up, then tape both to the wiring loom above the distributor and coil. Tjhis way, the loom has not been altered, the ballast resistor and start bypass are still in place and active.

THEN, DO AS OUTLINED, TAKE A 12 GAUGE WIRE FROM THE COIL POSITIVE POST, ROUTE IT BACK THROUGH THE FIREWALL, TO THE FUSE BOX IGN TERMINAL, D O N E.

Leave the bulkhead connector alone, no need to hack it up, either.

No need to butcher up the thing, this isn't brainage stergery, folks.
LeoP likes this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 7:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Removing resistor wire from bulkhead connector and reusing its’ plug on a new wire does not

a-“hack up” the connector or,
b-“butcher up the thing”

👍
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

OK, if you say so, and, you have done ignition work for the last 45 years, designed and developed the large cap HEI with others at GM, I don't think so, no, I KNOW SO, you didn't, and aren't.

Now that you have butchered the wiring loom, torn the resistor wire out, what are you going to do it you need that resistor circuit to limp home on? IT ISN'T THERE ANY MORE.

The way I described, KEEPS THE RESISTOR IN PLACE AND WORKABLE IF NEEDED, AND ADDS THE FULL 12 VOLTS. Oh, yeah, you know more about it than anyone actually having those 45 years of experience, I defer to you.
LeoP likes this.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Dave, how’s your
Spider bite recovery
coming along ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in