ZZ4 Distributor - Chevelle Tech
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 6:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage
ZZ4 Distributor

Trying to make sure I get the correct distributor for my ZZ4. The one on the car does not have vacuum advance. Found one of these brand new from a local guy for $75. Is this what I am looking for? SUM-850001-1. Im told it needs to have a melonized gear?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850001-1/

If this is sufficient, the vacuum line should be direct from the manifold correct? From what you all have taught me on here, timing should be set to 34-36 total with vacuum disconnected and vacuum hooked up after.

If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 7:44 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: ZZ4 Distributor

What does GM recommend ? I am pretty sure they show one for that engine in the GMPP catalog.
Steve R likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 8:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
What does GM recommend ? I am pretty sure they show one for that engine in the GMPP catalog.

A $500 distributor that I cant afford.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Google GM 93440806 or GMPP HEI, neither are close to $500.

That $128 HEI is a cheap white box distributor, you might as well save a bit of extra money and buy the eBay special for $40.

Steve R
Hotrodder000 likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; Nov 10th, 19 at 8:39 PM. Reason: Z
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 8:42 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

This is the Real Thing ZZ4 dist. I've had one of these in every car I owned.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-93440806

No idea where that $500 number came from. These have always been 175 - 200. Best deal in rodding. just install it, no fancy bazillion volt coils or multi spark modules... Nothing, just run it. If you leave it alone it'll last 20 years.
Steve R, 71350SS, LeoP and 1 others like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 9:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post

No idea where that $500 number came from. These have always been 175 - 200. Best deal in rodding. just install it, no fancy bazillion volt coils or multi spark modules... Nothing, just run it. If you leave it alone it'll last 20 years.

Thanks Steve and Tom for the answers. I have a hard time processing things since my stroke when I was 26. Sometimes my memory only lasts 6 seconds, sometimes its 6 hours. This greatly helps.
Steve R likes this.

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post

Just ordered the 93440806 from Amazon Warehouse. Got a smoking deal on it for $101 because the package is damaged, be here Tuesday. The Chinese knockoff will go into my trunk as an emergency spare.
Steve R, LeoP and Hotrodder000 like this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 2:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I bought a G.M. unit from Kenny Ross Chevrolet about 6-7 years ago or 41.000 miles ago. Its in my 468 Sta. Wgn. I have not looked.... at it for years, So I guess it is still in the engine?
Nicest thing since " Sliced Bread "..............
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Yep, ours is as installed on the ZZ4 when we got it in 1997, and 22 years, 30K miles and maybe 1 set of wires and plugs later, still untouched.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

When you get that distributor, don't forget to do the mods to make it work the way it should in a ZZ4 engine, like take the 69120 vacuum advance aid stop the degrees down to 10, so it will work on full manifold vacuum, and, speed the mechanical curve up, while retaining the 375 center plate and 41 weights, reset the main shaft end play to .015 to .019 with a fiber washer under the reluctor, and shim from there.

For decades, I have offered FREE instructions on just how to fix the ZZ4 distributors, GMPP doesn't work them correctly.

If you want a set of instructions, with pictures packagte, FREE OF CHARGE emailed to you, ask for them at:

[email protected]
David Bates and davewho1 like this.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 7:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

If you can't find a deal like Randy did, this Accel model has a melonized gear and it's $85 :

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-59130/overview/

And don't forget the advance curve kit :

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-72300
Hotrodder000 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 8:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Solid info. Thanks everyone.

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 11:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
When you get that distributor, don't forget to do the mods to make it work the way it should in a ZZ4 engine, like take the 69120 vacuum advance aid stop the degrees down to 10, so it will work on full manifold vacuum, and, speed the mechanical curve up, while retaining the 375 center plate and 41 weights, reset the main shaft end play to .015 to .019 with a fiber washer under the reluctor, and shim from there.

For decades, I have offered FREE instructions on just how to fix the ZZ4 distributors, GMPP doesn't work them correctly.

If you want a set of instructions, with pictures packagte, FREE OF CHARGE emailed to you, ask for them at:

[email protected]
Dave I'm gonna swap my modded vac can (per your method) over to the new distributor. Where can I find the fiber washer and shims you describe to set end play?

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 1:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Distributor shim
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...%20Shim%20Kits

Belive msd also used to sell them?

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 5:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

NO, NO, NO, NO......NO, NO on the curve kit, they do not work.

The 41 weights and 375 center plate are what the ZZ4 wants, they are fine, do not change them.

Those curve kits are NOT for street use, they are designed to eliminate the vacuum advance, and add excessive INITIAL degrees for DRAG RACING ONLY, NOT FOR STREET USE. The springs are fine, but not the weights/center.

The shims in the first selection on the link are fine for the large HEI.

As far as the upper shim I use, hardware store, and take th shaft and reluctor with you. I use a very thin diameter red fiber washer that fits all the way up into the under side of the reluctor to help alleviate the excessive end play, then complete the end play setting with the steel shims on the bottom of the shaft. End play, between .015 and .019. DO NOT STACK SHIMS SO THICK THAT THE ROTOR DOES NOT SPRING BACK FREELY. This is why we still want .015 plus end play, so the "stack" doesn't lock up the mechanical advance.

There is another reason as well, in the distance the gear is set by adding the steel shims, and the fiber washer. Most large HEI have upwards of .090 end play. Setting the end play distance with shims only on the bottom of the shaft, sets the gear, and OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT END FURTHER DOWNWARDS into the engine, moving both closer to the oil pump drive shaft. Too much shimming downward can possibly stack the distributor shaft, intermediater shaft and oil pump gear solid, and holding the distributor body too high to let the stack be loose. In that case, you'd need the second set of shims shown on the link, to raise the distributor body up to allow no stack on the oil pump drive setting.

Now, to those that tell me I am a moron for using a fiber washer under the reluctor, UH-HUH, Yup, OK, tell me why. Well, I KNOW why, Chevy, some Cadillac and AMC, and Buick Delco-Remy distributors rotate clockwise, and THRUST UPWARDS, so, there is no tension, nor wear stack on the fiber washer under the reluctor. Olds, Pontiac, and some Cadillac rotate COUNTER CLOCK WISE, and thrust DOWNWARDS, putting rotating tension on the fiber washer.

So, hardware store, thin wall red fiber washer, .030 or so thick, then set the end play to what I said before, and always check the shaft stack when installing the distributor, to make sure the oil pump drive isn't hard stacked, either.
Hotrodder000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in